Next 15" MBP

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Problem:

The 15" MBP does not have FW800, and has poor battery life compared to both the MB and the 17" MBP.

Theory:

Since the 15" was the first Intel notebook to market, they had to leave a few things out.

Are we expecting FW800 to make its way into the 15" anytime soon?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silverlode

Problem:

The 15" MBP does not have FW800, and has poor battery life compared to both the MB and the 17" MBP.

Theory:

Since the 15" was the first Intel notebook to market, they had to leave a few things out.

Are we expecting FW800 to make its way into the 15" anytime soon?

Maybe next year I would think, but not this year!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    I think they are going to do something with the 15" before the end of the summer; even if they just drop the price $200 to erase the odd pricing structure.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mowenbrown

I think they are going to do something with the 15" before the end of the summer; even if they just drop the price $200 to erase the odd pricing structure.

Dude, they just speedbumped it on Tuesday.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The Core Duo is getting a price reduction May 28th.

Funny how much power the MBP screen takes..
  • Reply 5 of 11
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    Arn't they releasing a faster Core Duo chip?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mowenbrown

In the Netherlands we just had a speedbump and a price reduction of ?150 for the low-end and ?200 for the high-end 15"MBP. It still leaves a gap of ?700-?500 between the MacBook and the MBP though. FW800 Is not something that's very high on my wishlist. I rather see an extra USB2 or FW400 port, faster Superdrive and better battery.

Or a nice magnetic latch just like the MacBook.
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Dude, they just speedbumped it on Tuesday.

And they speedbumped it 3 months after its roll out.

The end of summer is september 21th.

A lot can happen in 4 months.

But I won't be surpriced if the Core2 Duo MBP will be introduced in the fall.

(Yeah, hard to beat this prediction)

Quote:

Originally posted by Elderloc

Arn't they releasing a faster Core Duo chip?

Yes, a 2.33Ghz Core Duo. If it takes more time to introduce the MBP Core2 Duo it would be a nice stop gap.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Apple is living in Intel-land now where new processors are released every other month or so. They may have to upgrade the processor every other month just to keep up.

They bumped the original MBP from 1.66-1.83 GHz to 1.83-2.0 GHz in February. Now in May, they bumped them to 2.0-2.16 GHz.

The Core Duo T2700 (2.33 GHz) is coming in June. So in July, there may be another bump to 2.16 to 2.33, or maybe the 17" will just get the 2.33 GHz. Then Merom comes in September and another bump to Core 2 Duo 2-2.33 GHz in September October.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Apple is living in Intel-land now where new processors are released every other month or so. They may have to upgrade the processor every other month just to keep up.

They bumped the original MBP from 1.66-1.83 GHz to 1.83-2.0 GHz in February. Now in May, they bumped them to 2.0-2.16 GHz.

The Core Duo T2700 (2.33 GHz) is coming in June. So in July, there may be another bump to 2.16 to 2.33, or maybe the 17" will just get the 2.33 GHz. Then Merom comes in September and another bump to Core 2 Duo 2-2.33 GHz in September October.

Isn't Merom scheduled for release in August? If so I agree that Apple won't 'sit' on them. They'll see their way into MBPs quickly after release.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    there will be no more dedicated firewire 800 ports.

you will need to find a firewire 800 expresscard when someone gets around to develop one.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

there will be no more dedicated firewire 800 ports.

you will need to find a firewire 800 expresscard when someone gets around to develop one.

Well, Firewire 800 made it into the MBP 17". I was pretty surprised by this. If there is enough user demand, Apple can bring it back for the Core 2 Duo 15" MBPs.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Isn't Merom scheduled for release in August? If so I agree that Apple won't 'sit' on them. They'll see their way into MBPs quickly after release.

Woodcrest in July/August.

Conroe in August/September.

Merom in September/October.

It's nice and all that Intel is pulling their availability 2 or 3 weeks ahead, but over the grand scheme of things, a gradual roll out over 3 months for the 3 chips is pretty much the only way to go. Intel will get the mindshare win in 2H 06, but they won't be recovering marketshare and profit margin until 2007. Moving their launch dates ahead is merely jousting with AMD for PR. They need to deliver both performance and volume to regain their profit margin, and that likely won't happen less then 6 months.

Good for Apple though!