New Intel Chips...Give me the rundown plz

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Woodcrest. Conroe. Merom....which one of these is going to go in what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    woodcrest should come first in servers and workstation.

Then heading into fall should see the release of merom for laptops.

Woodcrest should be utilized in dual socket motherboards and Conroe in single socket motherboards.

All are 64-bit and support faster FSB (1333Mhz with Woodcrest).

Woodcrest chipsets support FB-DIMM which allows for 6 channels of 8 dimm slots for mega giga RAM upgrades.

From TechReport

Quote:

Conclusions

It's taken some time, but Intel finally has a strong answer to the Opteron?or nearly so. The Bensley platform provides a much-improved infrastructure for low-end and mid-range servers, with vastly more bandwidth to each CPU socket?and to main memory?than previous Xeon chipsets. When they arrive, Woodcrest-based Xeons look like they will allow Intel to recapture the performance lead in server and workstations-class CPUs.

We obviously haven't tested server-class applications yet, but the performance lead we've seen from Woodcrest in nearly every test we have run bodes very well indeed. So do Woodcrest's power consumption numbers, which are a revelation compared to what we've seen from Netburst processors in recent years.

Of course, when Woodcrest-derived Xeons do arrive, they may be contending with the upcoming revision-F Opterons with DDR2 memory, lower system power consumption, and perhaps higher clock speeds, as well. Will these changes be enough to keep AMD competitive against Woodcrest? That's hard to say for sure, but it certainly doesn't look like life will be easy for AMD.

• Reply 2 of 5
    so we should see what in a PowerMac (MacPro)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sorry for the dumb question, i'm not a hardware expert, at least not as hardware savvy as some users here...

what's the deal with these dual-core processors? i assume dual-core ain't the same as double processor? what's the difference? which is better?

will we see quad-cores in the future?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

so we should see what in a PowerMac (MacPro)

Yes indeed. These are workstation/server level chips in Woodcrest and even Conroe is a fast desktop cpu.

Quote:

what's the deal with these dual-core processors? i assume dual-core ain't the same as double processor? what's the difference? which is better?

The difference is the two cores share the same die and in the case of Core 2 architecture and Intel Core Duo you share the lump l2 cache amount as well.

There are 4 core CPU coming in 2007 in Kentsfield and Cloverton.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jackbauerjackbauer Posts: 43member
    I think that's why Intel is calling it Core.

# of cores is the new mhz.