Memory upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This may have been discussed but anyway:

Crucial has 2GB memory for the MacBook for $360

Other World has 2GB for $225

Do you think there is any difference other than the price?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

This may have been discussed but anyway:

Crucial has 2GB memory for the MacBook for $360

Other World has 2GB for $225

Do you think there is any difference other than the price?

quality. i have crucial in my iMac, expensive but you know it will work.

For my macbook i picked up some from newegg.com (patriot 1gb sticks) and its been flawless. I think they were $86 each.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Its $280 for the Crucial 2 1Gb RAM modules at NewEgg.com and $162 for the generic stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Do the RAM memory modules have to be "matched" or is that bull....
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

Do the RAM memory modules have to be "matched" or is that bull....

They only have to be the same size. Different sizes will work, but compromise the performance.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I have bought OWC brand memory for 3 different MACs over the past 5 years. All work perfectly. Recommended.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I have always purchased generic, less expensive memory. Just get it from places that give you a lifetime guarantee. No problems here.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    If you're going to buy a Pro, you can opt for 2*512MB and upgrade to 2 Gb and sell the memory on Ebay. (My Plan)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    So the maximum memory possible on the MBP is 2GB? Is it possible to use two 2GB PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 sticks (for a total of 4GB of RAM)?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    I don't think they offer 2GB sticks of that particular RAM.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    That's true that Apple doesn't offer those size sticks, but Crucial does:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...E=CT25664AC667

So, would two of those work on the MBP?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by axc51

That's true that Apple doesn't offer those size sticks, but Crucial does:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...E=CT25664AC667

So, would two of those work on the MBP?

They should, it looks like the correct specs (other than the size)

US $1792.00 x 2 = $3584. Have fun with that.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Oh, so they do. Somehow I didn't think I saw them when I checked before.

Oops.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WildDude92

I have bought OWC brand memory for 3 different MACs over the past 5 years. All work perfectly. Recommended.

I like their prices, and their service is great, but as of yesterday I just had my second RAM failure with OWC stuff. This would be 2 out of around (I'm guessing here) 5 purchases.

The first failure happened after I no longer owned the computer containing the memory. The RAM failed a couple of weeks after the computer had been purchased used on eBay. I was pleased that OWC honored the lifetime warranty even for the second owner, no hassles at all.

The second failure happened yesterday, just a few days after buying the RAM -- a 1 GB module for my new 15" MBP. I had a sudden unexpected kernel panic, and when I tried to reboot all I got was the normal start-up chime followed by three sharp beeps. I took the new RAM out -- booted up fine. Put it back in -- three sharp beeps. Took it out again -- back in business, albeit with half the RAM I want to have.

Again, OWC's service has been great so far. They were friendly and helpful when I called, and they'll do a cross-ship replacement, meaning that a replacement is already on the way, and they e-mailed a pre-paid UPS shipping label last night which I used this morning to return the defective RAM. Once OWC receives the defective RAM, they'll take a temporary hold off my credit card for the cost of the replacement RAM.

It's hard to say what I think about OWC overall at this point -- 2 failures out of 5 is pretty bad, but that could just be coincidence. OWC has responded to these failures well.

In both cases, I bought bargain-basement RAM, figuring RAM either works or it doesn't work. I suppose one factor in RAM quality I might need to start considering now is how prone the RAM I buy is to spontaneous failures. Is the expensive stuff actually statistically shown to be more reliable, or could I just have easily had the same bad luck with more expensive RAM?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Following on some of what has already been discussed...

So is "generic" RAM just a crap-shoot? (i.e. the quality control on it is iffy, so if you get good ones, you are fine)?

I was looking at www.powerlinememory.com and for 2 GB they give you the choice of "generic" ($158), "major brand" ($218), and "factory original" ($278).

Their explanation:

* Generic - is available for the the price displayed on this page and is intended for the budget minded customer that is not doing mission critical work and is not trying to get the best performance or reliability from their machine. 1 year limited warranty

* Major Brand - great quality chips (e.g. Micron, Samsung, Nanya) on a high quality 3rd party board, these modules will provide great performance and reliability for a moderate price increase. Lifetime limited warranty

* Factory Original (pictured) - Are Apple OEM approved memory modules that are recommended for power users or mission critical work and is what actually ships in Apple computers. Hey you have the Lamborghini of computers might as well upgrade with the best components! Lifetime advance replacement warranty

So is generic just a bad idea? I suppose the extra $60 is worth the lifetime warranty?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I personally would not buy from these guys--there are reliable vendors out there--maybe more expensive,but reliable--

Crucial and OWC have reputations to uphold and have many users who are happy with their products--