Friend's MBP Freezing after boot- firmware update

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, this really has me stymied..

A friend called and said his MBP 15 is "frozen" - meaning that it is stuck after boot with the "Firmware update" app as the active app, and no response to trackpad or keyboard.

Tried the following:

- Reboot

- Reset power manager by removing battery and AC and holding power button for 5 seconds

- Zap PRAM

- Tried safe boot - machine wouldn't complete boot process if Shift held down

- Didn't try single user boot, this is over the phone and don't know what file to delete if any from the shell.

It sounds as if the firmware update was somehow interrupted. This person does not have another Mac to download the Firmware restore dmg, so I am sending it to him. But didn't the firmware update require you to go and download it from Apple? One of the tech notes seems to say that it doesn't automatically appear in Software Update.

Anybody had this "getting stuck" at the Firmware Update app problem? Anybody read about it? I find nothing identical on MacFIxit or Apple Discussions.

For those who have a MBP, do you know where the Firmware Update app is located in the file system? I might be able to talk him through removing it in single-user mode.

TIA