Is your macbook super hot? Check the vent...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
People have been finding a plastic film covering the vent in the rear of their macbooks. Check it.

http://gertstahl.blogspot.com/2006/0...t-blocked.html

Found the link on digg and about 5-10 people on there said that they had found a film blocking the vent on their macbook as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

People have been finding a plastic film covering the vent in the rear of their macbooks. Check it.

http://gertstahl.blogspot.com/2006/0...t-blocked.html

Found the link on digg and about 5-10 people on there said that they had found a film blocking the vent on their macbook as well.

Mine had Shrek stuffed in the vent...(film joke).

Fine here, I really don't believe this story. The stupid thing is just plain HOT! I still like it though.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I thought of a riddle:

When is a notebook computer NOT a laptop computer?

When it's a MacBook!

Okay, so I don't have a future in comedy. I'll admit that.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    what's the difference between a laptop computer and a notebook computer?

well, how about this, lemme rephrase it... what's the big deal with calling the macbook a laptop?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

what's the big deal with calling the macbook a laptop?

Apple KNOWS that they run hot, so nowhere in their literature or documentation is the MacBook called a "laptop" computer. It's a "notebook" or "portable" computer.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

well, how about this, lemme rephrase it... what's the big deal with calling the macbook a laptop?

A laptop can be put on your lap. A macbook cannot because its too hot and it will burn your cajones off. Apple knows this and has changed every reference on their site from laptops to notebooks and even has a page dedicated to the heat of the 'notebook'.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612
  • Reply 6 of 27
    drflynndrflynn Posts: 28member
    Im not going to lie... my 13-macbook runs much cooler than my 15" 1.67 powerbook G4. I dont have some other weird things happening though. A weird whining sound and some pretty weird power things. Anyone else haveing problems?

Ryan
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

what's the difference between a laptop computer and a notebook computer?

I would add a bit that a notebook is a portable computer, generally about the size of a slim binder or thick paper notebook.

A laptop is a personal device that could be used on a lap. If it can't be comfortably used on top of a lap for a reasonable amount of time, say, half an hour, then it's not a laptop. My MacBook Pro is comfortable for maybe ten minutes.

There are some people that say that all notebooks run hot, but that's not really my experience, I've owned two that were warm, but not uncomfortably hot.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Notebooks run hot only if they're designed improperly. If you look at Panasonic, Fujitsu, Toshiba their notebooks pack similar components, but never get hot... warm, yes, but never hot.

Too many high school dropouts and incompetent engineers design computers these days.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Notebooks run hot only if they're designed improperly. If you look at Panasonic, Fujitsu, Toshiba their notebooks pack similar components, but never get hot... warm, yes, but never hot.

Too many high school dropouts and incompetent engineers design computers these days.

yeah, Steve Jobs must have let that new intern, Jonathan Ive design the MacBook. <sigh>
  • Reply 10 of 27
    def can't work with your MBP on your lap. no shot. gets way too hot even if you remove that thing.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Anybody get any temp readings on the CPU? Sounds like it's running in the 150s (F) or higher or there's poor heat dissipation if it's running in the 140s.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

yeah, Steve Jobs must have let that new intern, Jonathan Ive design the MacBook. <sigh>

He's an aesthetics designer, not an engineer.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    150 is ridiculous. I can't believe they allow these things off the shelves at that temperature. still, plenty of people are buying them...
  • Reply 14 of 27
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    My brand new MacBook bought yesterday (1.83 Ghz) runs hot... but not that hot, its actually about the same temp as my GF and one of my best friend Dells, and right now it actually pretty cool.

When it did get hot, it wasn't hot enough to burn me...

So I'm very happy with my new MacBook and wouldn't change for any other "notebook"

PS, no strip in the vent.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    give it a few weeks to get some programs on it, get a little angry, and it'll get hotter.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I actually think I'm going to buy a cooling pad for mine. Only about $30 and could be the answer I'm looking for.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Listen I have an IBM Think pad at work a 1.6ghz pentium-m and that machine is cooler, but the fan is basically on at high speed all the time so it gets a 2 hour battery life.

What do you want?.. a cooler, noiser computer with no battery life? or a warmer, quieter computer with 4-5 hours battery live?

My guess is Apple will release a few Updates that tweak the settings to have the fan come on a bit earlier to shut everyone up! Then of course everyone will moan about the lack of battery life.

My my G4 800mhz ibook was just as hot as my 1.8ghz DUALCORE macbook! So I think it's pretty amazing design!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

Listen I have an IBM Think pad at work a 1.6ghz pentium-m and that machine is cooler, but the fan is basically on at high speed all the time so it gets a 2 hour battery life.

What do you want?.. a cooler, noiser computer with no battery life? or a warmer, quieter computer with 4-5 hours battery live?

My guess is Apple will release a few Updates that tweak the settings to have the fan come on a bit earlier to shut everyone up! Then of course everyone will moan about the lack of battery life.

My my G4 800mhz ibook was just as hot as my 1.8ghz DUALCORE macbook! So I think it's pretty amazing design!

Fans do not consume a lot of power relative to the CPU, so any argument that it shaves hours off the run time are erroneous. The T series CPU is rated to consume up to 31 watts max, a fan consumes less than one watt max.

What would shut me up is if Apple offered the L series CPU as a BTO option, it wouldn't be quite as fast but it would run a lot cooler and maybe add hours to the battery life.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Fans do not consume a lot of power relative to the CPU, so any argument that it shaves hours off the run time are erroneous. The T series CPU is rated to consume up to 31 watts max, a fan consumes less than one watt max.

What would shut me up is if Apple offered the L series CPU as a BTO option, it wouldn't be quite as fast but it would run a lot cooler and maybe add hours to the battery life.

I'll have to take your word for that, but the IBM fan is blowing alot more no doubt about that.

My point was the hotness is more of a configuration thing and not a design problem.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    is the IBM fan obnoxiously loud, or just runs a lot?