New HD for my powermac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm almost done tweaking with my powermac. I've gotten my RAM up to a ludicrous 2.5Gb, got my Ruby on Rails up and running etc. and now I need more HD space. Any Hard Drives that work particularly well with both my computer and my wallet? I'm looking 150Gb+ preferably.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asaph

So I'm almost done tweaking with my powermac. I've gotten my RAM up to a ludicrous 2.5Gb, got my Ruby on Rails up and running etc. and now I need more HD space. Any Hard Drives that work particularly well with both my computer and my wallet? I'm looking 150Gb+ preferably.

If you wanted the ultimate in speed, the 150GB Raptors are pretty cool, but expensive per GB. Otherwise, any SATA drive will work fine as internal drives. Finding good deals on SATA drives is pretty hard though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    are the raptors really that much better than the competition? at nearly three times the price somethimes I wonder if it's worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asaph

are the raptors really that much better than the competition? at nearly three times the price somethimes I wonder if it's worth it.

As do I. If you want the absolute fastest SATA drive available, then it's the way to go, expecially as it is based on an enterprise-grade product so it should be less failure prone. It certainly isn't 2x faster though. For the money, you could buy two somewhat larger regular SATA drives and mirror them to get higher reliability.

Anyway, any SATA drive will suit you well.