Mac Pro - Major price drop?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I remember that nearly three years ago now, I really wanted a Dual 2.0Ghz G5, but ended getting a 12" Powerbook instead, because of portability and price. However, from time to time I regret this decision, as while, despite the PB getting replaced under warranty for a model two revs later, it still feels like a dinosaur from a tech viewpoint (though it'll probably remain the best industrial design notebook for years to come). The G5 however would still be pretty current.

So, I really want to not make that 'mistake' again, and instead would like to get a tower to last me a long time. But looking at the current G5s, they are so expensive.

Comparing the 17" iMac to the base G5, it has an equivalent processor, same HD, same RAM, better GPU, a screen, wireless, isight, etc... - All for not much more than half the price of the G5.

Is this because of the increased price of many proprietary components, or just Apple profiteering?

The pricepoint of the low end Powermac (sorry - Mac Pro) is just about paletable, but it would have to blow away the high end iMac if it remains the same. So, do any of you see this happening, or is that just dreaming?

David.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Hello,

I remember that nearly three years ago now, I really wanted a Dual 2.0Ghz G5, but ended getting a 12" Powerbook instead, because of portability and price. However, from time to time I regret this decision, as while, despite the PB getting replaced under warranty for a model two revs later, it still feels like a dinosaur from a tech viewpoint (though it'll probably remain the best industrial design notebook for years to come). The G5 however would still be pretty current.

So, I really want to not make that 'mistake' again, and instead would like to get a tower to last me a long time. But looking at the current G5s, they are so expensive.

Comparing the 17" iMac to the base G5, it has an equivalent processor, same HD, same RAM, better GPU, a screen, wireless, isight, etc... - All for not much more than half the price of the G5.

Is this because of the increased price of many proprietary components, or just Apple profiteering?

The pricepoint of the low end Powermac (sorry - Mac Pro) is just about paletable, but it would have to blow away the high end iMac if it remains the same. So, do any of you see this happening, or is that just dreaming?

David.

Apple's old (pre G5) entry price for the PowerMac was between $1499-$1699. Right now they start at $1999. I would hope that one of the goals in coming out with new MacPro's is getting the price back downt to the the G4 pricing, preferably the lower end of that. The reason that I say this is that not all Pro's need all out power, heck they don't even need all the expansion that the towers bring them. They do need large monitors, and as great as the iMac 20" many Pro's might find the 20" screen a bit restricting.

Also, Apple is going to want to try to push adoption of the new MacPros in industries that are currently buying G5's to hedge against the "long" transition that Apple outlined, and the late coming of Adobe to the UB programs. It now looks like Apple is going to be pretty much done with the transition in a little over a year in stead of the 2 years they previously suggested, and with Quark 7 UB coming out this summer Adobe is geting more pressure and a little more open about their UB offerings.

This all leads to Apple being in a situation where their professional customers may have reciently upgraded to G5's, so there not be much incentive for them to upgrade and they might be reluctant to do so due to cost and compatibility issues. If they could get the prices of the towers back down to $1499 then a company that was looking into getting 3 low end PowerMacs, reciently $1999 for G5's, could get 4 MacPro's for the same money. I think that they would be more inclined to make this transition with the lower price.

As to crowding out the iMac, I think that this was a worry a few years ago when Apple started selling LDC iMacs. However the price of LCD pannels has come down quite a bit in that time, and Apple does have some "Wiggle room" now. I believe that Apple could easily release an iMac version with a 17" wide screen, 1.66 Ghz Core Duo, 80 GB HD, integrated graphics, and if needed a Combo drive instead of the super drive and get the entry price down to $999 today. I would say get rid of the AirPort and BlueTooth as well, but that appears to be something that they want in all their computers right now, possibly hinting at future connected products?
  • Reply 2 of 106
    Right now, I'd get an iMac over the PowerMac, unless you just need the expandability.

The PowerMac (Mac Pro ?) SHOULD be upgraded to Intel before the end of the year, but no way to really know. That system should be a significant jump over the current G5... and be very useable for years. But i wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper than the current G5 PowerMacs... maybe even slightly more expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Right now, I'd get an iMac over the PowerMac, unless you just need the expandability.

The PowerMac (Mac Pro ?) SHOULD be upgraded to Intel before the end of the year, but no way to really know. That system should be a significant jump over the current G5... and be very useable for years. But i wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper than the current G5 PowerMacs... maybe even slightly more expensive.

I would agree on the first, right now I'm finding it hard to keep my checkbook happy and not to go out and get a new 20" iMac. It's especially tough when my Mom just brought her G5 17" iMac up with her from Florida and hooked it up here while she is in town.

The second statement you made I'm not sure about. I don't see Apple trying to get prices down right now, and if that trend continues with the release of the MacPros then you are probably right. But then again, Apple is going to have a lot more chips available to them than they have had since before the G3 days. Given the variety of chips that they can release computers with, the competition and some of the factors that I mentioned above I thinkthat there is a good chance tha we may see a lower priced and "Lower" speced MacPo (or just a Mac?) that brings the lower-end price point for towers back down to at least $1699.
  • Reply 4 of 106
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

I would agree on the first, right now I'm finding it hard to keep my checkbook happy and not to go out and get a new 20" iMac. It's especially tough when my Mom just brought her G5 17" iMac up with her from Florida and hooked it up here while she is in town.

The second statement you made I'm not sure about. I don't see Apple trying to get prices down right now, and if that trend continues with the release of the MacPros then you are probably right. But then again, Apple is going to have a lot more chips available to them than they have had since before the G3 days. Given the variety of chips that they can release computers with, the competition and some of the factors that I mentioned above I thinkthat there is a good chance tha we may see a lower priced and "Lower" speced MacPo (or just a Mac?) that brings the lower-end price point for towers back down to at least $1699.

think lower, oner CPU, 4 RAM slots, i HDd included, one HDD expansion bay, one optical drive, one empty 5/25 in front bay PCIE 16x graphics slot, 2 PCI-x slots, one PCI slot. Minimul RAM, cheap GPU, 100 gig HDD and superdrive for 1299...upgrade as you make the money to. then have the higher end stuff.

The really interesting thing will be to see if they are going to bring out a true workstation, that being multi graphics card slots, more than 2 HDDs with raid capability, shipped with more than 512 MB ram lots o' goodies...and maybe 4 dual core procs...think how fast Finalcut HD would fly on that, 8 cores, 2x nVidia 7900s, 1.5TB RAID 5.
  • Reply 5 of 106
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would wait for the iMac update. This summer it'll likely get a Conroe chip. Considering that Woodcrest is getting bencmark score double that of the Quad g5, it is possible that a Conroe iMac should have benchmark scores at least equal to or slightly better than a quad g5. The ultimate prosumer machine, all for $1200.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Of course - I'd never get the G5, as I have the powerbook to tide me over, and having an intel Mac is a vital part of being futureproof.

I really don't do anything that intensive - hell, most of the time it's just iTunes/Word Processing/Web/Email, but I've recently built a very cheap PC, and would like the expandability with the better OS.

David
  • Reply 7 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

think lower, oner CPU, 4 RAM slots, i HDd included, one HDD expansion bay, one optical drive, one empty 5/25 in front bay PCIE 16x graphics slot, 2 PCI-x slots, one PCI slot. Minimul RAM, cheap GPU, 100 gig HDD and superdrive for 1299...upgrade as you make the money to. then have the higher end stuff.

The really interesting thing will be to see if they are going to bring out a true workstation, that being multi graphics card slots, more than 2 HDDs with raid capability, shipped with more than 512 MB ram lots o' goodies...and maybe 4 dual core procs...think how fast Finalcut HD would fly on that, 8 cores, 2x nVidia 7900s, 1.5TB RAID 5.

I doubt that we would see Apple going this low with the price of the Mac Pro, unless they are able to get the price of the iMac down to $999, which I think that they could do today but so far have not done. I think that $1499 is the lowest that we will see a MacPro and have reservations about even that. I think that the high end Mac Pro will be about as close to the workstation class as economics and processors allow. I don't see Apple introducing a MacPro that has a price much beyond$4000 becouse the market would be too small to make it worth while, especially if they needed a special motherboard to allow for the extra processors.
  • Reply 8 of 106
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Apple overpricing the Mac Pro will be more glaringly apparent than it ever was with the Powermacs, now that any half-intelligent computer shopper can go and see that Dell's Woodcrest-based workstations are the same damned components at 2/3 of the price.
  • Reply 9 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Apple overpricing the Mac Pro will be more glaringly apparent than it ever was with the Powermacs, now that any half-intelligent computer shopper can go and see that Dell's Woodcrest-based workstations are the same damned components at 2/3 of the price.

I'm sure that apple will do something to set themselves apart. Such as using the watercooling from the G5 and overclocking the woodcrests. I guess we will see.
  • Reply 10 of 106
    The iMacs could use mid-level Conroes, and get a bump to like 2.16/2.33, there could be a low-end MP with 1 Conroe at 2.67, and then 2-3 higher end Mac Pros with Woodcrests from 2-3 GHz.
  • Reply 11 of 106
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    If the Mini & the Mac Book are any indicators, the price could go up. I wouldn't expect any significant price drop at all.
  • Reply 12 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

If the Mini & the Mac Book are any indicators, the price could go up. I wouldn't expect any significant price drop at all.

I wouldn't look at those two as indicators for the MacPro, the G5 entry is very high at $1999 for today's standards, and Apple really needs a more "Professional" computer at a lower price point than the $1299 17" iMac. I wouldn't be suprised if Apple didn't release a MacPro at a lower price, but I can't see them rising the entry price for the computer unless they were going to release a Mac as a replacement for the PowerMac and into a workstation class computer in the PowerMac range.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

The MacBook and the Mini both saw huge improvements. Mac Pros really won't see that much extra stuff built in. iSight+Front Row+more RAM slots(Mini)/replaceable HDD(Macbook) are valid reasons to raise the price (or at least good excuses). An extra HDD slot isn't. Also, there is a lot more competition for the Mac Pro, because it's on the high-end, and has to compete seriously against Opterons and other Xeon boxes. Professionals (realizing they'll have to buy the upgraded versions to get UB anyways) could go for a Windows box or a Linux box if it's a lot faster/cheaper, whereas consumers buy Macs for the OS and the stability and iLife, not the MHz numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Hope springs eternal, but I'd rather be pessimistic & pleasently surprised than be optimistic & dissapointed. People around here get all worked up, then have their hopes dashed again & again.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Professionals (realizing they'll have to buy the upgraded versions to get UB anyways) could go for a Windows box or a Linux box if it's a lot faster/cheaper, whereas consumers buy Macs for the OS and the stability and iLife, not the MHz numbers.

Hate to break it to you, but pros tend to use Macs for the OS also?

And wouldn't you need to actually purchase new versions of most apps when switching from Apple to Windows??!?

And would you want to go from a solid & secure Unix-based OS to a legacy code riddled security risk like Windows??!?

Sorry ZP, your arguments are weak?

I would think that the extra $$ (aka "Apple Tax") for a Macintosh far outweighs the few dollars saved on a Windows or Linux box?

Plus, between Boot Camp & Parallels, one could run all three OS on the same Apple box?!

Can you do that on any other companies box out there??!?

Nope, I didn't think so?!

Those who need the power & the security will stay with OS X, all other losers will move to Windows (only to come crawling back down the road, I am sure)?!

;^p
  • Reply 16 of 106
    My point is that for Adobe, to get UB, you need to buy CS3. There isn't a "cross-grade" option via a patch or trade-in. Since CS3 will also be out on PCs, as well as most other non-Apple pro software, if HP sells a dual-Woodcrest machine for $500 less, pros might be tempted. My point is that pros are looking for a platform to run applications, whereas consumers who look at macs are attracted more by the OS and the experience. Therefore, the high-end is more price-elastic than the low end.

It's just a theory, but it's my reason to hope. I'm in no way trying to troll. I have an iBook, and want a Mac Pro, and definitely think the "Mac Tax" is worth it, but some people might not.
  • Reply 17 of 106
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Price Drop?

NO!

The MacBook Pros got MORE expensive
  • Reply 18 of 106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    For Apple to remain competitive they will have to modify their lineup. Here's what I'd suggest for the latter 2006.

Entry Level

Mac mini solo

$499

ICS 1.67Ghz

60GB hard drive 512MB RAM

Combo Drive

AP, BT, GigE

Mac mini duo

$599

ICD 1.86Ghz

80GB hard drive 512MB of RAM

AP, BT and GigE

Midrange

iMac 17"

$999

ICD 2Ghz

128MB of Graphics

250GB hard drive with 1GB of RAM

AP, BT and GigE

iMac 20"

ICD 2.13

256MB of Graphics

500GB hard drive with 1GB of RAM

AP, BT and GigE

Workstation

Mac Pro 1.86

$1499

Conroe 1.86 Ghz

256MB PCI-Express Graphics

Dual GigE

Mac Pro 2.4

$1899

Conroe 2.4 Ghz

Dual GigE

Quads

Mac Pro DC 2.33

$2499

Woodcrest 2.4 Ghz x2

Dual GigE

Mac Pro DC 2.66

$2999

Woodcrest 2.66 Ghz x2

Dual GigE

Mac Pro DC 3.0

$3499

Woodcrest 3Ghz x2

500GB hard drive with 2GB of RAM

Dual GigE

That would round the line out. Apple could base the Edu Mac on a 17" or 20" imac with integrated graphics.
  • Reply 19 of 106
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Price drop? Price drop? Ha ha! Someone hasn't learned from recent history.

Mark my words, the replacement to the Power Mac will start in the $2100-$2500 range. Hell, maybe it'll feature downgraded graphics as well.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

That'd be great but I think any entry level Mac Pro would start 1699 if they were to lower prices.