iSight & Messenger for Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I am a newcomer to the forum. I am considering moving into Mac, possibly I will get hold of a white MacBook.

My question is: Is it possible to use the iSight camera with Microsoft Messenger for Mac?

Most of my friends and relatives use Windows with Messenger, and I want to keep videoconferencing with them!

Thank You!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Messenger for Mac has no audio or video support at this point.

Third-party MSN clients exist that do, such as Mercury and aMSN, but they're generally teh suck™.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    purgatorypurgatory Posts: 26member
    Though aMSN isn't too hot, I've used it a few times to video chat, and it's worked pretty well. I wouldn't use it full-time, though (nor would I use Messenger for Mac, as it's really slow and generally unreliable, at least on my MBP).
  • Reply 3 of 27
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Purgatory

Though aMSN isn't too hot, I've used it a few times to video chat, and it's worked pretty well. I wouldn't use it full-time, though (nor would I use Messenger for Mac, as it's really slow and generally unreliable, at least on my MBP).

That may be due to the fact that you're running a PowerPC application on an Intel-based computer. So complain to Apple about it.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

So complain to Apple about it.

What does Apple have to do with third parties being incapable of updating their apps?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    fila 11fila 11 Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I'm just praying for Adium to get webcam support, preferably iSight.

Adium also needs MSN 9.0 Winks and custom emoticons, then we'll be set. It's by far the best and fastest chat client on my PowerBook G4.

Second best, sadly, is Microsoft Messenger.

Then aMSN.

Mercury works with webcam, supports custom emoticons and winks, but it's horribly slow and the interface is the worst of them all.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've just checked out Adium's website and it feels very atractive, let's hope it soon gets iSight support.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I believe aMSN has problems with build in iSights?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    fooeyfooey Posts: 52member
    i got my isight working on Mercury, but it was very slow and the picture was very blue
  • Reply 8 of 27
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What does Apple have to do with third parties being incapable of updating their apps?

The app was updated pretty recently (around March, I believe). Apple's changing of architectures is not Microsoft's fault.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

That's good to know, because I'm thinking of getting an iSight.

Can we confirm iSights don't work with aMSN?

Build in yes, stand-alone no.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    chirhochirho Posts: 50member
    just a thought. could you access the iSight if you used the PC version of MSN, via XP, on bootcamp?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

The app was updated pretty recently (around March, I believe). Apple's changing of architectures is not Microsoft's fault.

No, it isn't MS' fault, but they can either patch it up or take their chances with it as is.

Quote:

Originally posted by chirho

just a thought. could you access the iSight if you used the PC version of MSN, via XP, on bootcamp?

That might be one of those OS X-only things. When I tried out BootCamp and selected the iSight in My Computer, XP blue-screened.

Quote:

I'm just praying for Adium to get webcam support, preferably iSight.

You might find this encouraging, then:

Quote:

Integration of Jingle (Voice chat, and video chat in the far future, over Jabber)

• Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by chirho

Boot Camp currently has no iSight driver.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    biederbieder Posts: 15member
    I think aMSN is your best bet, but it is not perfect. Skype will be adding video support to the mac client later and I hope that will provide the first widespread bulletproof mac to pc video client. Hopefully that will make ms update messenger, but I'm doubting it.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

It's *your* fault.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Personally, I hope they add MSN (and Yahoo) messenger capability into iChat.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    iChat has always sucked. All AIM apps sucks. Nothing works nice between platforms. I'm with bieder....Skype is the wave of the future, if they can pull it off. I'm now eagerly watching Skype. iChat is a fucking joke, its interface sucks and lacks features. Adium is really nice but can't do AV and is also buggy just like iChat. Seems like not a single freakin' app can do everything. Us Mac users are just 2nd class citizens in the IM/videochat world for now. Skype...please help us. *crosses fingers*
  • Reply 17 of 27
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:

second is the fact that is for Jabber, not MSN. All of my friends use MSN, and I want to chat with them without asking them to change their protocol.

It is possible to chat with msn users via a plugin installed on the jabber servers. Thus if signing up for the msn service, you can connect to your msn friends via any jabber client: iChat, Psi, Adium, etc.

No video/audio/file transfer though.

See google for detailed instructions...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

But at my company, we have a switch, not a router, and I don't know if there's any way to forward the port. I couldn't get it to work at all.

A switch and a router are nothing alike. Your router probably has a switch built-in, but a switch doesn't block ports that you need to forward through it. There's probably a router somewhere else at your company, or someone is confusing the router with a switch.

Quote:

Let's review this statement. It's been 1 year since Apple announced that they were switching to Intel. There have been developer boxes and devkits for creating Universal Binaries just as long. Not only that, Apple launched its first Intel Macs in January. Microsoft knew it was coming. They had plenty of time to develop the app as Universal Binary if they wanted to. Are you going to seriously tell me that Microsoft couldn't make it a Universal Binary with 9 months of time? It's not like they were spending that time adding all kinds of large features like video chat support to MSN Messenger. If Microsoft decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to produce a Universal Binary yet, that's their call, but don't state it as if Apple 'pulled a fast one' and came out with Intel Macs with no prior warning to developers.

Not only that, but you're implying that Apple's move to Intel is the problem here. So, Apple shouldn't try to improve it's products because some developers might not like it? Maybe Apple should have stayed with the PowerPC and only had meager laptop performance with G4s? Maybe Apple shouldn't have moved to PowerPC in the first place. Would that have appeased you?

Maybe no PC manufacturer should upgrade it's products because the software might be configured for that specific hardware configuration... I remember old DOS games breaking on newer Pentium (1's not 2's or 3's) chips because the only games were relying on the clock cycles to regulate the speed of the game. So the game was sped up beyond the point of playability. Should Intel have not developed newer chips because some developers were relying on the clock speed in their software? Should Microsoft not fix Internet Explorer's handling of broken webpages and CSS support due to all the webpages out there now that are relying on it? If someone made a crappy web page because it rendered well in IE6, but now it doesn't work in IE7, should that web page tell it's readership to "Go complain to Microsoft! Those bastards ruined IE by fixing the bugs that my web page was relying on!" ?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    danired18danired18 Posts: 47member
    hopefully apple will put AIM and MSN and YAHOO into ichat with there new operating system...
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

hopefully apple will put AIM and MSN and YAHOO into ichat with there new operating system...

Or a grammar checker.