want a TiVo?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I found something today, my folks were dropping crap off at Goodwill, and envited me along, I for some reason accepted...and am I ever glad that I did...there was a stack of NEW, UNOPENED TiVo series 2s, 40hrs that they had at let us just say, I have never seen this price without sighning a contract, so I bought a stack of them...

I opened one up and it is perfect, new, I broke the factory seal in fact! the other 2 are identical and remain unopened...I asked the clerk who donated them, and the answer came "Oh, it was (Major dept store name omitted)" I bought them, no strings attached, any one want one? make an offer.

Will make a good deal for fellow AI members.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I've got a heavily modified Series 1, but if anyone takes a_greer up on his offer head over to Weaknees to bling out your new TiVo.

Cheap TiVo+drop in storage upgrades= happiness.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

I've got a heavily modified Series 1, but if anyone takes a_greer up on his offer head over to Weaknees to bling out your new TiVo.

Cheap TiVo+drop in storage upgrades= happiness.

I am contermplating keeping one for myself, I jusrt have a hard time justifying 12.99 for the service...is it really that much better than the comcast/Insight DVR(same DVR software differant branding)?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    turboturbo Posts: 31member
    State a price I am interested. Any pics?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

I jusrt have a hard time justifying 12.99 for the service..

There are other ways...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by turbo

State a price I am interested. Any pics?

PIC 1

PIC 2

I have opened one of them to inspect, that is what is in Pic 2.

Pack includes:

1 TiVo

1 Remote + 1 set of batteries

1 RCA AV cable

1 peice of RF coax

1 serial cable (for cable box interface)

1 IR cable (for cable box interface)

1 Manual

I am asking $100 for AI members
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

There are other ways...

hmmmm...do share....or dont....
  • Reply 7 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I am contermplating keeping one for myself, I jusrt have a hard time justifying 12.99 for the service...is it really that much better than the comcast/Insight DVR(same DVR software differant branding)?

Very much so. I have both the Comcast DVR (as that is the only way I can get HD DVR functionality) and a Series 2 TiVO (that I use for the majority of my content / SD). To me the difference is night and day and I truly detest the Comcast box. Sure, when it is working and playing back content it is fine, but the TiVo is a joy to use whereas the Comcast box is clunky and prone to crashing or cutting off programs. The Comcast remote is like the Windows media center remotes: cluttered with useless junk.

That said, if your Comcast box actually runs TiVo software and has a TiVo remote then its another story. Mine, however, is some custom stuff and I'm not sure who the software vendor is but it is Motorola hardware.

I want to throw my Comcast box out the window and run it over with my Car.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Very much so. I have both the Comcast DVR (as that is the only way I can get HD DVR functionality) and a Series 2 TiVO (that I use for the majority of my content / SD). To me the difference is night and day and I truly detest the Comcast box. Sure, when it is working and playing back content it is fine, but the TiVo is a joy to use whereas the Comcast box is clunky and prone to crashing or cutting off programs. The Comcast remote is like the Windows media center remotes: cluttered with useless junk.

too true; I opened one of the units for inspection and grabbed the remote to try the "mom test" My mom is sweet, but TV remotes have never been her forte`; It took like 2 hrs to teach her basic DVR playback and menu navigation ...and it took ME, a 21 year old with a degree in computer information systems, 25 minutes to figure out where the "search by title" feature was burried, and nearly as long to discover the method for setting a "season pass" on the comcast/insight unit!

They obfiscate all of the cool, usefull stuff!

I put the (still wrapped) TiVo remote in her hand, and she proceeded to guess what nearly every button did without a demo, or even a working unit to play with!

Your box is probably the same as mine: a Motorola DCT-61xx

The xx-s are differant model numbers; one with DVI output, the next one has DVI-D (no analog checksum, so no DVI->VGA support), and the newest one, which I have, has HDMI.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Last call...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I have a DCT6412 III with HDMI output. It is a nasty piece of junk, but boy does HD content look good. Damn you Comcast!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

I have a DCT6412 III with HDMI output. It is a nasty piece of junk, but boy does HD content look good. Damn you Comcast!

I dont have HDTV, so other than widescreen network feeds, I get no benifit.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I dont have HDTV, so other than widescreen network feeds, I get no benifit.

Well, if you only have an SD TV, TiVo is absolutely the way to go, hands down. Others may recommend custom DVR solutions like MythTV, but I don't think anyone would recommend Comcast's POS.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Well, if you only have an SD TV, TiVo is absolutely the way to go, hands down. Others may recommend custom DVR solutions like MythTV, but I don't think anyone would recommend Comcast's POS.

I just hooked it up, AMAZING!

I told the TiVo opp that I wanted the "tivo light" free service, he said that isnt avalible, so I told him I would subscribe later, and continued hooking it up...well, it set up 25 hrs of guides for free and unlocked features like season pass and such. anyway, after 45 minutes playing, I am fucking awe struck!

Insight will be getting thei DVR back tomorow, and I will likly pick up a full TiVo subscribtion and wifi networking kit to integrate with itunes (another factor that made me over joied)

For the record the tivos are all gone now so I guess if this thread lives, it will just be to talk about the joy of tivo!