Boosting MacBook WiFi Adapter.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Read a while back that there is some software to boost the MacBook's integrated WiFi adapter to make it more powerful - what would be the easiest way to do this?

I live in quite a big house and the WiFi reception through 2 floors is rubbish - can't quite find this magical piece of software that boost's WiFi reception at the price of Battery Life... Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I don't know of this software. Perhaps it tries to change the power level of the WiFi card. As an alternative you could add an antenna to the WiFi router. I've done that at my home and it helped tremendously.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I know on the PC side (under windows), some WiFi manufacturers provide utilities to adjust the power to the card (in small increments and within a small range). I'd imagine this would be helpful for ad-hoc set ups between machines, but it's not likely to improve your connection to your router (boosting the power increases the output of your WiFi card, but it won't increase the output of your router). I'm not sure if there is a similar app. for OS X. As mentioned, a non-stock antenna for your router is probably your best bet. They actually do a pretty good job.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    What chip does the macbook wifi adapter use?