MacBook HDD 50% Full Out the Box!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just complemented my Apple lifestyle with a MacBook and just realized out of the box that the 60GB drive is half full... Is it just me or is something very wrong - what is taking up 30GBs in a Brand New MacBook?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    The OS with all its doodads and iLife.

I hear you can reinstall MacOS from the supplied disc and it takes up considerably less space.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    saleskisaleski Posts: 17member
    I have the same concern with my MacBook(I have the 80GB model). Can anyone suggest what can be removed (i.e. asian fonts etc) to make my OS lean ?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    And all in every language.

There are tools like DiskInventory that will give you a definitive breakdown of precisely what's taking what (and where, with coloured HDD map), as well as programs to remove the other languages if you decide you won't need them for international websites or users. Things like DeLocalizer will trim as much as half a GB of foreign support stuff, depending on the # of languages you keep/kill.

GarageBand probably has a few GB of loops preinstalled, as well as sample clips and themes in iMovie and iDVD which may total a GB... IIRC, the MB ships with BigBang Games, and you'll likely have trial versions of Office, etc.

As long as you've got the recover/install DVDs, you can probably turf stuff you don't plan to use since you can reload it later, but before you randomly start nuking your library you might want to check the tools above.

YMMV.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Thanks for the DeLocalizer link. I'm cleaning out my MacBook now. =)
  • Reply 5 of 35
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    I just ran delocalizer on my 10.3 iMac, freed up just over a GB of space!!

• Reply 6 of 35
    3GB here.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    That DeLocalizer is a great program - easily wiped off 3 Gigs and it's not even fully done yet! ( Albeit that I did purchase my MacBook in Hong Kong therefore my presumption that they'll load lots of alternative languages to it )

The program "Disk Inventory" does prove to be useful but scares me into wondering what I should or not take off - the files in "Apple Loops" take up 2.4Gigs out of the box and I wouldn't even know how to remove it... Ideas?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you don't use iDVD or Garage Band there are a number of media files you can delete to save a good amount of space.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    One other handy disk space app is OmniDiskSweeper . Check it!
  • Reply 10 of 35
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    or you could just do what I did when I rec'd my MBP...reinstall the OS right away...& customize it to your liking. Saves space and makes for a nice & tidy system w/o relying on 3rd party stuff.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    nvrsaynvrnvrsaynvr Posts: 64member
    Also, the drive is only a 55.89 GB unit so Apple is (as usual) lying about it's true size to begin with. Good solutions on cleaning out the Xtra junk though.

"Think Alike... BE Different!"
  • Reply 12 of 35
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

Also, the drive is only a 55.89 GB unit so Apple is (as usual) lying about it's true size to begin with.

Apple and every other hard drive and computer manufacturer out there. It's the hard drive manufacturers, really. They measure that 1000 Kilobytes = 1MB. However, all software ever measures 1024 Kilobytes = 1MB ( & 1024MB = 1GB, etc.)
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Also, the drive is only a 55.89 GB unit so Apple is (as usual) lying about it's true size to begin with. Good solutions on cleaning out the Xtra junk though.

Must remember that when you format a HDD a large chunk of the space available is allocated to a table of contents of the drive. The bigger the HDD is the more room is taken up in the table. This applies to all hard drives.

Cheers,

Tim
  • Reply 14 of 35
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Ignore the troll folks?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Quinn

Must remember that when you format a HDD a large chunk of the space available is allocated to a table of contents of the drive. The bigger the HDD is the more room is taken up in the table. This applies to all hard drives.

Cheers,

Tim

This has nothing to do with that. It has to do with different units being applied, as has been stated before.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Also, the drive is only a 55.89 GB unit so Apple is (as usual) lying about it's (sic) true size to begin with.

Wrong. Directly on the specs page it says

Quote:

1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.

• Reply 17 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Apple and every other hard drive and computer manufacturer out there. It's the hard drive manufacturers, really. They measure that 1000 Kilobytes = 1MB. However, all software ever measures 1024 Kilobytes = 1MB ( & 1024MB = 1GB, etc.)

Just to make that clearer, those Kilobytes are also just 1000 bytes, not 1024. The 1GB of product-marketing speak is 1000 * 1000 or 1,000,000 bytes. The computer science GB is 1024 * 1024 or 1,048,576 bytes -- a nearly 5% difference.

There's also a difference between raw data capacity and the smaller but more meaningful formatted data capacity. I think we can all guess which number is the typically advertised spec.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

Thanks for the DeLocalizer link. I'm cleaning out my MacBook now. =)

Tiger has about 1.2GB worth of drivers installed, but removing them is not as cut-and-dry as removing localizations. I only have two printers so I was able to free 1GB+ of space.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

If you don't use iDVD or Garage Band there are a number of media files you can delete to save a good amount of space.

This is a great topic. Nothing is more distressing that getting a new computer and finding half your HD capacity consumed by applications and frills that you will never use.

I have a 80GB disk and immediately trashed Garage Band and MS Office. I ran DeLocalizer as well. Once I get back to my desktop (I bought this MacBook while on vacation if you can believe that) I?ll compare and sync the machines.

Next I plan to trash iDVD,

What?s the point of Image Capture if I always use iPhoto? Unless someone can explain the point of IC to me I?m gonna trash it.

Am I ever going to use Omni Outliner? Doubtful. I plan to trash it.

What files go with iDVD and GarageBand? I wanna trash those too.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Ignore the troll folks?

LOL

OK... I used to think you were pretty a cool guy. Now I'll have to reconsider that thought. Trolling is not what I am doing but HEY if it catches fish it has a purpose.

Thanks everybody else for the headsup on why the size. I really do know this but it is still irritating in today's world of efficiency minded, componnent design. I look forward to the HD technology catching up with the MIND - that is virtually unlimited space. Now that would be a storage device! In the mean time, replace it with something bigger AS USUAL!

Mac"n" since 1986 too many macs to count on "two +" pairs of hands. Ha ha!