Switch from Outlook Pro to Entourage?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone successfully made the switch from Outlook Pro (not Express) on the PC to Entourage on the Mac? Apple.com's "Switch" section only talks about Outlook Express.

I am going to be switching laptops this month from PC to TiBook, and want to import my address books, email messages and calendar items.

Can anyone share their methods for this, or point me to a good resource to read about it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    At the very least you'll be able to do an Export (from Outlook) and Import (into Entourage), even if you can't do a straight carry-over of databases.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    As far as the mail application itself, you'll find Entourage pretty familiar if you're used to Outlook. The real problem will be if you're using your PC version of Outlook with a Microsoft Exchange server on the back-end (common at most larger companies). To the best of my knowledge, there are no OS X mail apps that can communicate with an Exchange Server. (Although I believe this was promised with Apple's Mail app as part of the Jaguar update.)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Entourage CAN send and receive e-mail with an Exchange server. Any e-mail app can. But you don't have the calendaring features and the like.

Of course, because your Outlook e-mail resides on the server, there's no problem with importing/exporting - the first time you run it, Entourage will just get all the e-mail, and download it if you read it. Pretty easy. No importing or exporting. Just set up your Exchange server account as IMAP.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong> Just set up your Exchange server account as IMAP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, if only it was that easy! There are fewer than 10 Mac users at the company I work for (a large financial services provider). There's no way our IT department is going to reconfigure their Exchange Server just so we can use IMAP.

The only way I can access info from the Exchange Server is via Microsoft's less than stellar web gateway--unless I boot into OS 9 and use the old Outlook client.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by PestoBreath:

<strong>

Ah, if only it was that easy! There are fewer than 10 Mac users at the company I work for (a large financial services provider). There's no way our IT department is going to reconfigure their Exchange Server just so we can use IMAP.

The only way I can access info from the Exchange Server is via Microsoft's less than stellar web gateway--unless I boot into OS 9 and use the old Outlook client.</strong><hr></blockquote>They don't have to do anything. When I say set up your Exchange server account as imap, I mean just your account on Entourage.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
  • Reply 7 of 7
    singensingen Posts: 14member
    From the research I've been doing on the web, it does indeed seem overly complicated. Oh well, I'll plod through it as I'm determined to go Mac and get the functionality I have become accustomed to on the PC.