Omni's New Product

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Check it out:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidazzle/

It's called OmniDazzle. Pretty neat. Too bad it isn't working my Intel iMac yet.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Check it out:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidazzle/

It's called OmniDazzle. Pretty neat. Too bad it isn't working my Intel iMac yet.

Dave

I was hoping Omni would write something *useful*...on the bright side, they are experimenting with CoreImage, so maybe this app is a sign of future apps making use of CoreImage.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    "limited use to 1 hour at a time?"

peh (spits on ground), they can keep their junkware.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Junkware is a bit extreme.

I like it. Beta 2 now runs on my iMac. Pretty neat affects. The $14.95 price is too high for this type of product.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. OmniDazzle hardly fits into the "must have" category of software titles, but it is certainly useful. Unlike some developers who whine about the Mac's marketshare, Omni had been a MacOS X developer since it was called NeXTstep. Its software titles are first rate. "Junkware" to some; a "treasure" to me.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

OmniDazzle hardly fits into the "must have" category of software titles

Understatement of the year! And it pales in comparison to Omni's other must have products like OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle. When they announced that something new was coming I hoped for something so much more.

But yes, at least they're playing with CoreImage and I think only good things can come from that.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, I can see this being an incredibly useful tool for two groups:

1) Those with massive/multiple monitors. I can't tell you how many times I've seen folks with huge setups lose their cursor.

2) Presenters. The highlighting capability to draw attention to the mouse is beautiful, particularly spotlighting.

$15 is cheap for a professional who needs to track every minute they bill to a client... or for someone who presents as part of the professional life, and needs to be giving the best presentation possible at all times.

If I end up being back in the second group again, I'd plunk down the $15 no sweat.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I agree with Kickaha. It's very very useful when doing presentations. Not only that - it looks cool too :-D
  • Reply 8 of 10
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    OK, I probably won't get a lot of sympathy. But I have a 30" display in my recording studio, and it is easy to lose track of a cursor in a dark or grey UI like ProTools or Logic. My first thought on this was 'Cool!'. Is it for everyone, obviously not. But the Omni guys are pretty smart, and saw a need for this. My guess is that it was developed for internal use, then they decided to release it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

OK, I probably won't get a lot of sympathy. But I have a 30" display in my recording studio, and it is easy to lose track of a cursor in a dark or grey UI like ProTools or Logic. My first thought on this was 'Cool!'. Is it for everyone, obviously not. But the Omni guys are pretty smart, and saw a need for this. My guess is that it was developed for internal use, then they decided to release it.

You don't need to fork over 15 bucks to Omni...just send your 30" to me and I'll send my 17" CRT to you free (I'll even pay, oh, say, 400 for your 30")...trust me, you'll never lose the cursor again. It's a win-win situation.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

You don't need to fork over 15 bucks to Omni...just send your 30" to me and I'll send my 17" CRT to you free (I'll even pay, oh, say, 400 for your 30")...trust me, you'll never lose the cursor again. It's a win-win situation.

Let me think about it..