I am no prude but..

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I've been hearing some raunchy language on some Sirius Satellite channels. Some DJ's like words such as D**ckHead, MotherF***er etc... I am not talking about Talk Shows such as Howard Stern but regular music channels. I pay for music, not street talk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I've been hearing some raunchy language on some Sirius Satellite channels. Some DJ's like words such as D**ckHead, MotherF***er etc... I am not talking about Talk Shows such as Howard Stern but regular music channels. I pay for music, not street talk.

XM almost always refrains from it, or they warn somewhat frequently if the station uses the language often.

Personally, I don't mind language in the least, and would prefer it to censorship and the FCC that normal regular radio stations are subjected to. At the same time, when language is overused to make something 'gritty' or 'cool' it seems a bit ridiculous. So I can see your point, overuse gets really tiring.

In conclusion, get XM. Good stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Think of satellite radio as cableTV for radio. On cable TV if you go to the Discovery channel you are unlikely to find any curse words. Go to Comedy Central or the HBO types and you will hear some. Just avoid the channels if it bothers you.

Many of the DJ's on satellite radio curse a lot simply because they can. I think the novelty will wear off. And if not, the government will eventually screw it up and regulate it following some audio version of a "wardrobe malfunction".

As for XM vs Serius, I have used both and own neither. Buy if I was buying, I would go Serius.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    XM might not have language, but it also doesn't have as good channels. Sirius has a much better talk & news lineup, not the least of which is the wealth of soccer radio.

Because I can't watch World Cup games while I'm at work.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    What is the purpose of foul language? It seems unnecessary.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by southside grabowski

I sometimes wonder what the purpose is for segregating some words into the "foul" category. It's almost like we dislike the word only because it's *supposed* to be a "bad" word.

It's like the skunk smell. I really don't mind it, yet we are trained at some point to say, "Ew, skunk." It's really not that bad.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

screw you motherfxxxer!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

So don't listen to it. You only make it foul language by labelling and conceiving it as such. For others, it's perfectly normal words.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Think of satellite radio as cableTV for radio. On cable TV if you go to the Discovery channel you are unlikely to find any curse words. Go to Comedy Central or the HBO types and you will hear some.

Comedy central bleeps all bad words.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

So don't listen to it. You only make it foul language by labelling and conceiving it as such. For others, it's perfectly normal words.

I'm not a prude either, but repetive use of so-called "foul" language is just f*cking annoying. Like listening to Joe Pesci talk. \

The way many of these radio guys talk isn't normal use of normal words -- it's just a gratuitously low-brow attempt at shock or being edgy or cool.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

speaking from a linguistical standpoint, i hate swear words because they don't accurately describe anything. they're easy to use because you can substitute them for anything and not have to think about the words you're using. to be fair, words like "stuff" aren't much better.

but sometimes i swear. occassionally it's funny or appropriate.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Speak with your wallet. If you don't like it, switch to XM.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

speaking from a linguistical standpoint, i hate swear words because they don't accurately describe anything. they're easy to use because you can substitute them for anything and not have to think about the words you're using. to be fair, words like "stuff" aren't much better.

but sometimes i swear. occassionally it's funny or appropriate.

Cussing isn't meant for description, it's meant for emphasis, and it does its job very well.

I don't think cussing does anything but make you pay more attention to the speaker. An intelligent person with a healthy vocabulary does not cease to be so because he or she chooses to cuss at times. The same goes for a stupid person with a weak vocabulary, that will just come out in conversation.

Cussing can be funny, as well, mainly when its done tongue-in-cheek or in an ironic context. If something isn't funny to begin with, it won't be funny just because you add foul language.

They are just words.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    I agree that using cuss words all the time is ridiculous and becomes meaningless. It's like saying "like" or "you know" all the time. I'll admit that I occasionally use cuss words, however at selective times for emphasis. I use them so rarely that, when I do, people take notice.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    F-ck I know it's f-cking ridiculous that these c-nt pr-cks can get away with such sh-tty language. I mean where do they f-cking get off. I want mother f-cking entertainment not lame cuss words, sh-tt, any a-shole can spit out filth.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Exactly.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I thought the whole point was music, I dont want it if it is full of bull**** DJs and crap, that is exactly what I DO NOT want, just go from one song to the next, unabbriged versions of the songs, no talk-overs, bumps or stingers, I thought that is what sirius was...am I wrong?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Comedy central bleeps all bad words.

That is exactly why I Hate comedy centeral, the bleeps in a standup bit come at the worst times, a huge beep in the middle of a punchline can ruin a great joke -- and they bleep stuff that probably shouldnt be bleeped -- Jeff Friggen Foxworthy got bleeped like three times on the blue-collar special last week...

I would gladly pay $2-3/mo for comedy centeral commercial free and UNCENCORED ala HBO Comedy.

cursing DJs distract from the art of the music, bleeping comedians destacts from their art.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

That is exactly why I Hate comedy centeral, the bleeps in a standup bit come at the worst times, a huge beep in the middle of a punchline can ruin a great joke -- and they bleep stuff that probably shouldnt be bleeped -- Jeff Friggen Foxworthy got bleeped like three times on the blue-collar special last week...

I would gladly pay $2-3/mo for comedy centeral commercial free and UNCENCORED ala HBO Comedy.

cursing DJs distract from the art of the music, bleeping comedians destacts from their art.

Just watch Comedy Central late at night. It's uncensored then, at least arond here: F-bombs and all.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Huh?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'll admit that I occasionally use cuss words, however at selective times for emphasis. I use them so rarely that, when I do, people take notice.

People like me.