Can Quicktime movie files be un-compressed?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a new I Mac, and now I can make my own DVD's.

I have several Quicktime movies that I made with my old I Mac and I was just wondering if there is any way to un-compress those movies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Simply to play a movie is to decompress it -- it's decompression on the fly.

Is what you're really asking about how to burn a QuickTime movie to DVD? If so, the following should work for you (although it wouldn't surprise me if there's an easier way -- this is simply what springs to mind without further research):

Create an iMovie project.

Drag you QuickTime movie or movies in as clips.

Export the iMovie project to iDVD.

Burn a DVD.

Of course, there's all sort of opportunity in there to play with chapter breaks and menus and titles and the like. There's probably also a more direct QuickTime -> DVD path without needing iMovie in between.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quicktime uses a variety of codecs to 'compress' a RAW movie while outputting a file... you can use Animation, Cinepak, Sorensen, H.264, Motion-JPEG, MPEG, etc... Original footage such as DV can thus be 'compressed' down to MPEG2, MPEG4, etc.

If what you're asking is can you 'reverse' the process to take a .QT or .MOV or .MPEG and end up with an original RAW file again, the answer is no...

All of the above are lossy formats and you sacrifice some information in turning the original footage into an optimized file. In the case of the Animation codec, for example, you'll lose colour depth. In the case of MPEG2, you lose data in order to squeeze the file into the particular bitrate and/or size of a file that meets the MPEG2 spec.

Some formats are less severe a loss than others, but you'll never get the original RAW footage quality back.

Not sure if that's the question you were asking, or if shetline was more topical.

iMovie/iDVD projects with their unique tracks, transitions, titles and edits cannot be reverse-engineered from a 'finished and/or compressed' movie file. You'd need the original project file (which can be relatively small if its just an EDL pointing to original clips on another volume).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Quicktime uses a variety of codecs to 'compress' a RAW movie while outputting a file... you can use Animation, Cinepak, Sorensen, H.264, Motion-JPEG, MPEG, etc... Original footage such as DV can thus be 'compressed' down to MPEG2, MPEG4, etc.

If what you're asking is can you 'reverse' the process to take a .QT or .MOV or .MPEG and end up with an original RAW file again, the answer is no...

All of the above are lossy formats and you sacrifice some information in turning the original footage into an optimized file. In the case of the Animation codec, for example, you'll lose colour depth. In the case of MPEG2, you lose data in order to squeeze the file into the particular bitrate and/or size of a file that meets the MPEG2 spec.

Some formats are less severe a loss than others, but you'll never get the original RAW footage quality back.

Not sure if that's the question you were asking, or if shetline was more topical.

iMovie/iDVD projects with their unique tracks, transitions, titles and edits cannot be reverse-engineered from a 'finished and/or compressed' movie file. You'd need the original project file (which can be relatively small if its just an EDL pointing to original clips on another volume).

Yes that was it thanks