i have $1800. What camera should I get?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hey there,

I have $1800 and Im not afraid of ebay. Should I spend more on the camera (30d or d200) or should I do with a rebel or a d70 and put more towards some lenses.

What do you guys think? Anyone have anything they are willing to part with?

Thanks!

Ryan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Depends on your needs. As I commented inthe Nikon/Canon thread, don't be cheap when it comes to the lens. I would consider the Rebel XT or 30D with a good lens (or its Nikon counterpart). The lens will last for a long time (unless you drop it). You can always upgrade the body in a few years. Unlike film cameras, digital cameras are being updated frequently and we will be buying new cams more often then we used to (much like computers). Buy good glass and upgrade bodies as you wish.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrFlynn

Hey there,

I have $1800 and Im not afraid of ebay. Should I spend more on the camera (30d or d200) or should I do with a rebel or a d70 and put more towards some lenses.

What do you guys think? Anyone have anything they are willing to part with?

Thanks!

Ryan

Are you going to shoot sports, racing or fast moving objects a great deal?

If your answer is no, get the Rebel XT and find a good lens for yourself.

I would love a 30D for the 5 frames/second but my XT (I had the first 300D too) is great minus the frames/second.

I shoot drag racing once a year so I can't justify the 30D.

I like to do a lot of wide angle shooting of buildings, objects, scenes, and the liike. So I stay down in the 17 mm - 35 mm lens range.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I'd have to say the 30D -- I just picked up a 20D this spring, and can't say enough good about it. That would nearly give you enough for the camera and a fairly decent second lens -- maybe somthing much shorter or longer.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    One that works... that is the best guidance that I can give.

The Camera being "Digital" helps too.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    You should get a LOMO Then buy other stuff with money left over

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomo

http://www.lomography.com
  • Reply 6 of 14
    F*** DIGITAL. Take it old skool. Be different. Shoot different.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    STFU digital rawkz.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

F*** DIGITAL. Take it old skool. Be different. Shoot different.

Yeah! 35mm is the future! While he is at it tell him to pick up a donkey to ride to work.

You crack me up sometimes Sunil!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Well, when your movies all come out on BluRay in glorious 1920x1080p pixel-perfect 64-gazillion-bits HiDef let's not forget most were shot on super35mm ANALOG FILM. (I know, we're talking about still cameras not movie cameras)

We should all take a Prius (or some other hybrid) to work biattchh........!

• Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Well, when your movies all come out on BluRay in glorious 1920x1080p pixel-perfect 64-gazillion-bits HiDef let's not forget most were shot on super35mm ANALOG FILM. (I know, we're talking about still cameras not movie cameras)

We should all take a Prius (or some other hybrid) to work biattchh........!

I'll wait for the Vette hybird but the Prius has a very cool feature I like. The proximty keyless entry and start. That freekn rocks!

35mm = Caveman ways for still photographs turd faceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Reply 11 of 14
    heh. yet another thread derailed and dragged into the gutter. my work here is done. (how do you think i got to over 4000 posts?!!!!11!!11!)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    In other news, Sony has entered the digital SLR market, so you may want to consider their range. They bought up Konica-Minolta assets and brought out the Sony "alpha" range:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/24...ted-debut.html

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...ews_86232.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1149546398.html

You know, for you new-skoolers. What-evah..!!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Get a new Digital Rebel and a few lenses. The lenses can be used, but keep in mind that an $1000 camera today is as good as a $5000 camera from not long ago.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    As a Rebel XT owner, I'd say Rebel XT and spend the rest on lenses. Maybe the Canon 17-40L f/4, 70-200L f/4, and perhaps a 50mm prime but I'm sure the pros will have something better to recommend.

I'm still working with the kit lens and will probably go with the 70-200L next.