Apple's Back-To-School program offers free iPod

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer is relaunching its Back-To-School program this week, offering a free iPod nano to students who buy a new Intel Mac by September 16th.

Students who purchase one of the qualifying Macs -- a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, or Power Mac G5 -- and also purchase an iPod, will receive a $179 mail-in-rebate on top of their education discount.

Apple will encourage students to purchase a 2GB iPod nano along with their qualifying Mac because the $179 rebate will cancel out the cost of the player (also $179 for educational buyers.) Alternatively, students can choose to apply the value of the rebate towards any of the company's other iPod models.

In order to qualify for the rebate, students and qualified educational staff members must purchase the Mac and iPod at the same time and submit the sales receipt listing both items within 30 days. Only one coupon per household/physical address will be honored.

The program is only available through participating Apple Authorized Campus Resellers from June 5, 2006, through September 16, 2006. The promo also applies to remaining stock of Apple's 14-inch PowerPC iBooks and 12-inch PowerPC PowerBooks.

Apple held a similar Back-To-School program last year, offering a $179 mail-in-rebate or free iPod mini to new educational Mac buyers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    1st POST! WoOOO HOOOoooo

Cram and Jam
  • Reply 2 of 17
    That's what they called it last year, this year they're going more straightforward:

http://www.apple.com/education/

• Reply 3 of 17
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Ridiculously minor nitpick: Actually last year it was called "Student Union." I should know because I worked at one of the retail stores at the time. People ate it up though... glad to see Apple's doing it again.

And don't let this make you think the promotion has any effect on when new iPods will come out: The Nano came out during this promotion last year, though the discount didn't apply to them and Minis were kept in stock solely for that reason.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Everybody is missing the huge fact that this promo is restricted to college students. No high school kids need apply. From Apple's FAQ:

Quote:

You must be a qualified Apple Education Individual end-user purchaser. Qualified participants include:

K12: Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States. School board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers.

Higher Education: Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted in to a Higher Education institution.

• Reply 5 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Everybody is missing the huge fact that this promo is restricted to college students. No high school kids need apply. From Apple's FAQ:

Where were people missing that point? That's the way it's always been.

It's the way it should be, I might add. Otherwise virtually everyone buying a mac could get a free / discounted ipod and that's definitely not what apple is going for.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Or does this apply to anybody who qualifies academically for normal discounts, like my mom the high school librarian who buys my computers for me

EDIT: woot, it does! Mac Pro and free iPod here I come!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Or does this apply to anybody who qualifies academically for normal discounts

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Tell 'em what he's won, Johnny
  • Reply 8 of 17
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    All I need now is for Apple to remember that the UK exists...

David
  • Reply 9 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    He edited earlier, Johnny.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Dang, I wish I had purchased my MacBook today instead of 12 days ago.

Only way I could get a free iPod now is for this one to break before the 14 day return cutoff at the Apple Store -- something tells me that won't happen.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    hope apple remmber australia exists
  • Reply 12 of 17
    What about Canada?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    South East Asia? We have running water, electricity and broadband in most capital cities you know... Oh, and colleges/ universities too.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Originally posted by Placebo

...Mac Pro and free iPod here I come!...

"You must buy a qualifying Mac and an iPod from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Reseller from June 5, 2006, through September 16, 2006."

Well, hope your Mac Pro shows up before September 16.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Sorry peeps outside the US of A. Apple forgot people outside of USA actually go to higher education institutions.

"Can I purchase the qualifying products anywhere?

No, you must purchase at the following locations in the US or the District of Columbia:

* Apple Authorized Campus Store

* Apple Retail Store

* Apple Telesales (call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753)

* Apple Online Store for Ed Individuals

"
  • Reply 16 of 17
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    WTF they had last year's program available in canada! I was gonne buy a macbook at the end of the month....damnit.

If they don't post it up soon I'm gonna look to ebay or maybe some other reseller just to spite apple.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tetzel1517

Ridiculously minor nitpick: Actually last year it was called "Student Union." I should know because I worked at one of the retail stores at the time. People ate it up though... glad to see Apple's doing it again.

Hmmm.. that means "Cram and Jam" was the slogan they used in 2004, if "Student Union" is what they used in 2005. Can anyone confirm this? I definitely remember "Cram and Jam". Yeah, I think 2004 I was in Australiah at the time.