Whacky Mac (MacBook) Fans on with MacBook OFF ??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
well, had a strange thing this morning...turned off my MacBook (shutdown) waited to make sure it was off, closed the lid. All lights out.

Stuffed it in my neoprene case, popped it in my briefcase. All this very gently.

Ate breakfast, walked back to get briefcase for work and i hear this 'whirring' noise from briefcase....fans working overtime on MacBook inside neoprene case and inside briefcase. BAD!

Opened neoprene, no lights on MacBook. Said item extremely hot. Opened lid, no lights... pushed buttons, didn't turn on. Held power button down...fans shut off.

So, I know this wasn't in Sleep mode...so why did the freakin fans start flappin? I can't have this thing running in my bag when its off...

Fluke? Freak? Fried?

Other than this weird incident, which I'm glad I caught before it was running in the bag for hours, its been a terrific laptop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Did you by chance have the energy saver set to turn the machine on? Other than that, I don't see how the power button could get pressed with the lid closed.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    I experienced the same problem 3 or 4 times, with my old 12" PB. I always assumed I'd closed the laptop before it had completely shut down.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    This has happened to me ONCE with my Macbook. It's scary, but I let the thing sit overnight and it's been fine since. I believe that the issue is exactly what Audiopollution said.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

So, I know this wasn't in Sleep mode...so why did the freakin fans start flappin? I can't have this thing running in my bag when its off...

Fluke? Freak? Fried?

Kernel panic I would say. Check your log files to see if anything has been written (look for panic.log in Console).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Kernel panic I would say. Check your log files to see if anything has been written (look for panic.log in Console).

i'll check but the thing was completely off when i put it in the bag. screen dark, lights off.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

i'll check but the thing was completely off when i put it in the bag. screen dark, lights off.

So was my PB.

I'd guess it might have hung during shutdown. Just because the screen and lights are off doesn't mean it was fully powered off.