Since before iPod was the "in" thing...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I bought my first iPod (a 2G 10GB model) well before iPod was the smash hit it is today. It feels weird to be part of the "in" crowd when I've been rockin' the scroll wheel since late 2002. As part of the Mac community, it's standard operating procedure. I've been listening to mp3s since the fall of 1997. The digital music revolution happened to me nearly a decade ago.

Do you feel like part of the "in" crowd or just another early adopter that's watching everyone else catch up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    its a tool that works fairly well for the job. I could care less about being in a crowd.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I bought my first iPod (a 2G 10GB model) well before iPod was the smash hit it is today. It feels weird to be part of the "in" crowd when I've been rockin' the scroll wheel since late 2002. As part of the Mac community, it's standard operating procedure. I've been listening to mp3s since the fall of 1997. The digital music revolution happened to me nearly a decade ago.

Do you feel like part of the "in" crowd or just another early adopter that's watching everyone else catch up?

Been doin' the same thing in Windows land with the old Rios before I got a mac and iPod, hell, before that, buddies of mine and I would trade wave form files over dialup...THAT was fun!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The interesting thing about technology in general being in is that when chicks' laptops lock up or crap out, they call guys like me...THAT is cool, way better than the artificial, superficial "in-croud" crap!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

its a tool that works fairly well for the job. I could care less about being in a crowd.

Ditto.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I also kind of worry about iPod's staying power. I really wonder how long Apple would be willing to support us long-time "non-in" users after the fad has faded and the iPod becomes just another appliance that the same small lot of people buy consistently and everyone else forgets about.

Or will Apple come up with the next big "in" thing, too?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I got my first generation 5GB ipod the Christmas after they came out. I remember riding the subway and getting weird looks whenever I took it out of my pocket. My friends didn't really understand the concept, but thought it was cool that i could fit so much music on it.

I also remember being excited for each firmware update that came out in the months that followed the iPod's introduction - and the excitement of playing breakout when it was still a hidden feature.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Dogcow - I got mine at exactly the same time, and it remains the best present I've ever got.

Tonton - Yes, I remember you telling us a story of how one of your co-workers thought that it would get heavier once you filled it with songs!

I'm really bemused about the success of the iPod. It's a superb product, but so are so many of the other ones Apple has produced over the years. I'm impressed that one finally took off beyond the usual 5%.

David
  • Reply 8 of 12
    kratoskratos Posts: 21member
    At first I got a Creative Zen Touch just so I would be part of the 'IN crowd," but not to long after I got to play with my friends iPod and switched within a week. Just works and looks better overall...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I didn't get an iPod until the mini's had been out for about 6 months, and up until two months prior to my purchase of my first iPod, I had no idea what an iPod was or how any of that work. Since then I've acquired a 4gb nano, and switched to Mac by purchasing a MacBook. It's been interesting to see the iPod become the "in" thing at school. I live in rural Indiana, I'm surrounded buy corn, and until this past christmas only a select group of people had iPods. After christmas a lot of kids had 5g iPods with video capabilities. As of now, I think that majority of kids at my school have some sort of iPod. The iPod tidal wave has been fun to watch and ride.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

As of now, I think that majority of kids at my school have some sort of iPod.

I was amazed at how many students were walking around with headphones when I visited a friend at Michigan State recently. Probably 9 in 10 people had headphones and well over half of those people's headphones were the standard iPod buds.

I figured out one time that I bought my first iPod as one of the first million that Apple sold. Now that they've sold well over 40 million, I feel special.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I was amazed at how many students were walking around with headphones when I visited a friend at Michigan State recently. Probably 9 in 10 people had headphones and well over half of those people's headphones were the standard iPod buds.

I figured out one time that I bought my first iPod as one of the first million that Apple sold. Now that they've sold well over 40 million, I feel special.

Yeah, it's crazy. When I was in grad school at University of Michigan, that first year (fall 2003) I'd see probably 2-4 other pairs of white ear buds a day. By fall 2004, it was probably 20 a day. I've got a 3G, and at that time most people knew what is was when they saw it, but didn't have one themselves.