Who thinks apple is working on an iPhone?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This topic has been discussed to death, so let's settle this once and for all. Do you think apple is working on an iPhone?

(If you want to give your reasons as to why you think apple is or isn't working on it go ahead, or just vote)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I voted yes
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I voted no. I just don't see the viability of music on a cell phone.

IF Apple is working on one, it's going to have to be spectacular and really be "outside the box" for it to really be successful. If anybody can do that it's Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Do I think they're *working* on one? Yes. They're too smart not to be pursuing the research and working on designs.

Do I think that there's a strong chance it'll see the light of day? Nope.

So yes, they're working on one, no, we won't see one anytime soon.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Do I think that there's a strong chance it'll see the light of day? Nope.

So yes, they're working on one, no, we won't see one anytime soon.

That's a bit of a contradiction.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Not really. I agree with kickaha

Apple has had plenty of skunkworks projects that never saw the light of day. Phones just seem to be that type of product that will never escape Apple's labs.

The problem is the phone networks are so closed in and to sell media they dictate pricing. Apple isn't going to be able to monitize this arena ala the iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I also agree with kickaha. With the iPod, Apple has been all about the total iTunes+iPod integration and how seamless it is. If Apple was going to release a cell phone I'm sure they would want the "seamless" experience to continue, and to do that Apple would need a darn good deal from a network or they would have to create a network themselves. I voted no. The iPhone is going to end up like the Apple PDA.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

I also agree with kickaha. With the iPod, Apple has been all about the total iTunes+iPod integration and how seamless it is. If Apple was going to release a cell phone I'm sure they would want the "seamless" experience to continue, and to do that Apple would need a darn good deal from a network or they would have to create a network themselves. I voted no. The iPhone is going to end up like the Apple PDA.

iPhone is a great name for a mobile communicator. It integrates two terms - communication and the Internet. And this defines the concept of ultra-mobile personal computing today. All the existing PDAs and smartphones are the successors of the Apple's Newton. It's time for the Newton II. On my part, I offer the Compact QWERTY layout with the system of ergonomic and fast one-hand typing for it - http://geocities.com/gene_technics

Mihail
  • Reply 8 of 11
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I have a feeling that they're working on one but it will use VoIP only. With more and more cities getting blanket coverage (Toronto should have it by fall) the possibility of using VoIP cellphone service is very real.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I have a feeling that they're working on one but it will use VoIP only. With more and more cities getting blanket coverage (Toronto should have it by fall) the possibility of using VoIP cellphone service is very real.

Wow that would be completely useless in Europe. It may have both regular phone capabilities and Voip, but there's no way in hell it'll just have Voip. It will probably have nice integration with iChat. So you could walk around your house while still having an audio and/or video chat.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Do to the latest hinting statement by Peter Opinheimer in response to Gene Munster's question on the success of Sony's Walkman phone. My suspicions that Apple IS working on an iPhone are more reinforced than ever.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

[/B]

Nice.