Is Your Macbook Turning Yellow!?!?!?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I love my macbook and use it about 10 hours a day with my business. I was understanding when I started noticing little yellow marks where my hands go... I tried to clean them off and I had no luck.

Then the problem started getting worse. It started spreading to places I never or hardly touched. To clean it I tried using the following:

iClear

Windex

Ajax

BLEECH

Nothing is working at all and the problem is getting worse. I believe that heat is causing the plastic to change color. I want my money back or a new computer! I am a professional photographer and pulling out a Canon 5D thats in perfect shape doesn't mean much when it looks like you cant even take care of your computer.

Thanks!

Ryan Flynn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ukuserukuser Posts: 39member
    Ive had my MacBook for 3 weeks and have no yellow colour problems.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    If you haven't seen, people say non-acetone nail polish remover seems to do the trick.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    mine is fine so far. i bought it the same day they were available in the stores. i use it several hours per day.

serial number starts with 4H61. dunno if that makes a difference.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    They say those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work too.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrFlynn

I love my macbook and use it about 10 hours a day with my business. I was understanding when I started noticing little yellow marks where my hands go... I tried to clean them off and I had no luck.

Then the problem started getting worse. It started spreading to places I never or hardly touched. To clean it I tried using the following:

iClear

Windex

Ajax

BLEECH

Nothing is working at all and the problem is getting worse. I believe that heat is causing the plastic to change color. I want my money back or a new computer! I am a professional photographer and pulling out a Canon 5D thats in perfect shape doesn't mean much when it looks like you cant even take care of your computer.

Thanks!

Ryan Flynn

Hmm if I hire a professional photographer, I couldn't give a shit what his gear looks like as long as the photos look great!

If I want to hire a professional panzy... well that's another story...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    It's apparently yet another problem spreading around (with photos):

White MacBooks Turning Yellow
  • Reply 7 of 23
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    I hate to say it but this problem with the white Macbook was very predictable. White plastic (of almost any product category--but especially electronics) does not age well, especially if it is repeatedly heated and cooled the way hot laptops get. That?s why I got a black Macbook.

The good news the problem is simply cosmetic.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    That's the problem I was referring to. Non-acetone nailpolish remover seems top work cleaning it, but the magic eraser things don't.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I was at the Apple Store last night picking up my iPod and ordering my MacBook, and I noticed that all the week 17 and 18 and 19 MacBooks scattered around the store were spotlessly clean. (didn't see anything newer than that)

Is this just a bad batch that affected one or two weeks' production, or does Apple know something we don't about cleaning them, or are Apple Stores replacing the keyboard panels with new parts? Answers on a reply to this post please.

PS -- I think laying down a rubberized surface on the top of the MacBook was asking for trouble. It's cute, it's comfortable, but I'm sure it will be a PITA to keep clean.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    eswesw Posts: 1member
    Err, sort of reviving an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else who recently purchased a MB is experiencing the discoloration. I ask because one of my family members is only interested in the white edition.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I picked up a week 23 model the other day. So far everything's great but as far as I know, the problem doesn't show for 2-3 weeks. I'll try to remember to post in this thread again in a few weeks.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by esw

Err, sort of reviving an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else who recently purchased a MB is experiencing the discoloration. I ask because one of my family members is only interested in the white edition.

i bought on the first day and its still white with a ton of use, several hours a day. perhaps i don't secrete coca cola like most people...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    In some discussions of this it was mentioned that it's probably the sweat of certain people that causes this reaction with the plastic. Some people have even said that it happened for them on G4 iBooks. (I think that I saw these comments on slashdot or digg) Those explanations seem reasonable. It could just be the chemical contents / pH level / whatever of the sweat from people's hands. That's why some people do or don't have the problem.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tingarottingarot Posts: 1member
    I had the same problem as well (though it's very minimal) and to think this is the first time for me to own a mac! i went to several apple distributor here though they don't know what kind of cleaner to use yet... help please ... the cleaning agents you mentioned are not available here....

thanks!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Hasn't apple admitted that the discoloration is a manufacturing defect? Just call apple and they'll replace the plastic free of charge.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Hasn't apple admitted that the discoloration is a manufacturing defect? Just call apple and they'll replace the plastic free of charge.

From what I've read on the internet, Apple is replacing yellowed books on a case by case basis. So far I haven't read of any recall or official word from Apple.

[edit]

On Friday, Apple officially recognized the problem and is offering replacement parts for discolored areas. Linky
  • Reply 17 of 23
    drflynndrflynn Posts: 28member
    Well good thing I went into the apple store on monday! They gave me a brand new macbook to replace my current one.

Rian
  • Reply 18 of 23
    mackilroymackilroy Posts: 34member
    I have a week 25 MacBook and mine has no discoloring at all.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Does anyone know which week the new plastic has been used since? AS i know apple have changed the plastic on the macbooks.

Also just wondering what build weeks we are on?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    I've seen pictures of the discoloration, and while it sucks and Apple should probably do something about it, it's not the end of the world. I've had an iBook since February, and I have noticable discoloration on both sides of the palm rest. I haven't thought twice about why it is there or how it looks, because if my computer is open, my hands are covering the area.

I realize for most people it is a principle thing. If I bought a brand new iPod and it turned piss yellow I'd be pissed, but it doesn't affect the functionality of the product at all. (Although one of the iPod's main function is to double your "cool" factor, and cool people don't have dirty things.)

You can ignore my gripe, I just had to get it out there eventually. Yellow palmrests should be the least of your worries on a new machine with a warranty that covers manufacturers defects (and we all know Apple will eventually figure out a fix and do a recall). I on the other hand will wait until all these things are fixed before purchasing said computer.