macbook and macbook pro battery chargers

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
so i have a MBP and my sister has a regular MB and we both have our own batter chargers. the MBP's charger is bigger than the MB. recently...ive just been using whatever charger is closer, so that means that at certain times, i use my sister's smaller charger for her MB to charge my MBP. would this affect the my MBP in anyway?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kritikal

at certain times, i use my sister's smaller charger for her MB to charge my MBP. would this affect the my MBP in anyway?

I would recommend against using the smaller charger for your MBP. The charger is smaller because it has a lower power output. I think the voltage output is the same, but the current is lower.

Hopefully, the smaller charger has current-limiting, meaning that if too much current is demanded, the charger just supplies as much as it can without breaking. Without a current limiter, using the smaller charger with the MacBook Pro could very easily damage the smaller charger.

If the charger does have current-limiting, it means that the MacBook Pro will not get as much current as it needs. At best, this would mean that the battery would take longer to charge. At worst, things could start to go wrong due to lack of current - data corruption, crashes etc.