Parallels instead of Boot Camp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Since the final version of Parallels came out--I installed it and now I would like to remove Boot Camp and the Windows it contains and free up the disc space--can I just trash it?

Must I reinstall Windows then in Parallels?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I would be great if Parallels could run from the Boot Camp partition, but it doesn't, and there'd probably be all sort of interesting drivers issues if Parallels tried to use that partition.

So, yes, you've sadly got to reinstall Windows.

To save myself from having to go through that hassle in the future, I did a Windows XP install, Service Pack 2, a few basics like Java, Firefox, Cygwin, third-party media support like QuickTime and Real, etc, let Windows update itself (several times, through several reboots), and then made a back-up copy of that Parallels PC, and then burned a copy to DVD (it just fit at slightly over 4GB).

Now if I even have a Windows crash, or just want to create an alternate virtualized PC, all I have to do is start with a copy of the back up.

While I usually use a Parallels PC named (uninspiringly enough) "Windows XP", from time to time I've been booting up the "Windows XP Baseline" back-up so that I can do software updates and Windows updates. When enough changes have accumulated, I'll do a new DVD back-up.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Can I just then trash Boot Camp with the old Windows? --and retrieve the space on the hard drive?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Another dumb thing--

when I installed Windows in Boot Camp--I installed Norton's anti virus--am I screwed? do I have to buy it again

are you all using an antiviral program in Windows on Parallels?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    another question---

If I remove the Boot Camp partition with my Mac boot camp install CD that I burned--will I lose anything on the rest of my drive??
  • Reply 5 of 8
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    To answer all of your questions, you can remove the Windows partition from your computer. Just open the Boot Camp Assistant in Applications >> Utilities, and choose "Restore my Mac to one partition". Within seconds Windows will be gone, although you will have to reboot.

About Norton AV, you will be able to use it again in Parallels. If it won't let you, just call up their [Norton] customer-support line, and tell them that it is the same computer, just a reinstall.

Just a note, Parallels can not handle tasks which require the graphics card, so you can not play games. Although M$ Office, and other apps like that will still work.

Good Luck,

Noah
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Did anyone notice Apple recommending Parallels and not Bootcamp:

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/windows.html
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yes I did--so I did install parallels--I have both on the computer now--if I continue to like it--I will remove Boot Camp--

I wonder if Apple will continue with Boot Camp if Parallels is accepted as the best choice--rebooting is a pain

Parallels seems to be slighly slower, but works great except for gaming
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    now what's this all about, a way to run windows apps without

windows--does this change things or a wannabe??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...over20060630_0