Let's talk about our vision

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I have absolutely terrible vision, -4.5D or so. Some of this is probably from computing use, most of it is genetic. I just got contacts the other day, I'm really loving them.

Who around here has perfect vision, or how bad is your eyesight? What do you use for correction?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think my eyes are somewhere around -2.75. One's a little worse than the other.

Most of the time I wear glasses because I look at TV or computer screens all day and my eyes dry out too quickly with contacts. I try to wear contacts on the weekends when I'm out and about or whenever I'm doing sporty stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I have an astigmatism, although very minor. Only really need glasses for seeing far distances.

I wear a pair of Oakley Split Threads. I prefer them over contacts, I am way to lazy to take care of those, and my glasses are practicaly weightless, so there aint much difference.

Noah
  • Reply 3 of 30
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Just like Noah93, I have astigmatism, but it isn't bad at all. The only time I HAVE to wear my glasses is at night when I'm driving. Other than that I can get along just fine without them.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I forget how you state it but I have better than perfect vision. I can see as well at 20 ft as most people can see at 15ft. I think they term that 20/15. This is from a vision test within the last year. I'm 36 and most people I know are praying for the day it starts to go bad just so they can rub it in.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Minus 4.75, minus 5.0 and astigmatisms in both eyes. Can't see a damned thing (without pain) without glasses, and contacts didn't work out for me years ago; they hurt the inside of my eyelids and also I lost a few when sneezing (I had horrible hayfever for a couple of years after moving to a new area). Gave up on the contacts and have never tried them again.

DNA is to blame: in family photos, it is rather difficult to find anyone who does not have glasses, and my grandmother looked like she was wearing telescopes. Even our pets look like they have vision problems, though I have yet to discover the DNA link between us.

I hate glasses because they hurt the ears, the nose and they really got in the way on those interesting nights back in college down by the lake in the backseat of the car with... ooops! Sorry about the trip down memory lane!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I wear glasses when on the computer, drawing, watching TV, or driving.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I had an astigmatism, but it went away, and my prescription hasn't changed in a year. So I'm pretty well-set, even with -4.5.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    I was 20/35 and 20/40. Same as my sister. For over a decade.

She went for laser surgery, I opted for grape seed extract and bilberry, along with eating red globe grapes with seeds.

After six months, I became 20/20 and she is still having problems.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

I was 20/35 and 20/40. Same as my sister. For over a decade.

She went for laser surgery, I opted for grape seed extract and bilberry, along with eating red globe grapes with seeds.

After six months, I became 20/20 and she is still having problems.

My god, elaborate?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have -1.75 (I think. . . maybe -2). I think my eyes don't focus well, though, because my depth perception is a bit off and try as I might I've never been able to get magic eye to work. Although, they say that the key to Magic Eye is not focusing, so it's possible that the reason involves something in my brain, or possibly that the white-points in each of my eyes are different. One has a distinct blue-bias, the other a magenta-like bias.

The real problem, though, is that I hate glasses, but have what they call "dry eye." In other words, I can't wear contacts without a lot of pain, and when I do I have to use special drops all the time and keep the total in-time under 4hrs. So I wear them when I play soccer, but that's about it. The rest of the time, glasses. I too am on the RAF meal plan, but it's not working quite so well. It may be stifling any further degradation, though.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    R (-4.75) L (-5.50)...and I am expecting worse as I have noticed blurry vision... going to get them checked next week... let you know what changed.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

My god, elaborate?

Not much to elaborate other than: stick to it.

Eat red globe grapes, swallow the seeds. Take grape seed extract and bilberry. Do not give up after a few weeks and say "Ah, bull! Nothing's improved!"

It worked for me, and feel free to Google around for these things.

I did and started coming up with a regimen that involved eating about half a bunch of grapes a day, plus recommended dosage of supplements.

Lately, I have heard about other things like lutein and such, but I can't speak to that. Also, somebody told me that grapeseed can affect your digestive system - didn't for me, but I'm not a doctor...
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Grape seed extract, is that MSM?

No idea, just did a quick Google and noticed it's related to DMSO, which was the topical joint treatment stuff... if that's the same thing you're talking about...
  • Reply 14 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    My eye problems are muscular...they don't like to cross. You know what you have to do to see those magic eye things? My eyes do that naturally. I'm also a little farsighted.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I've been thinking of having my vision checked. I haven't since I was in grammar school. It was better than 20/20 then, but I fear at 35 it is starting to slip a bit. Most of my immediate family have had to get glasses around the age of 45. I plan on avoiding glasses as long as possible, but the computer and the reading I do seem to be taking a toll. My wife on the other hand can't see two feet away without her glasses/contacts.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    My eyes are -0.75 left, and -1.50 right. I'm also slightly far sighted. I only wear glasses when I'm not at work... which is two days out of the week.

I also have very good eye muscle control; I can cross one eye at a time. Aside from eyes... I can move my nose like a rabbit...
  • Reply 17 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    If we responded to the topic title only, I would say Bush doesn't have one.

I have heard that spending a good amount of time sailing helps the eyes, or hiking in the mountains. Having to look at distances exercises the eyes and helps maintain vision.

Of course, not studying as hard as we did would have helped, too. (Or playing so many computer games...)
  • Reply 18 of 30
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    I have an alternating squint that's supposedly correcting itself with time (and glasses).
  • Reply 19 of 30
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My sight is still 20/20 but not as crisp as it use to be. When I turned 48, I noticed that I could not read the fine print on some things as easily as I use to. Now I get a yearly eye check and never had a problem with any of the test. Still I went out and bought a pair of reading glasses just in case. I would find it difficult to have to put contacts in my eyes.

reg
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Used to be -8.75 and -9.00 (can't remember which eye was which). Severe myopia - I've met only a few people who are worse than that. Went for laser surgery when I was 21 and have been 20/20 ever since (I'm 28 now).