Apple 20" Display with Dell Latitude D600

n3on3o
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the better way to plug in an Apple 20" Display to a Dell Latitude D600 laptop ? The display is of course DVI, and the Dell only has the vga connector.

Is there a VGA to DVI cable solution to this ? Or would i need to jump directly to this http://www.villagetronic.com/e_pr_vtbook.html ?

Any help is much appreciated

n

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    VGA is analog and DVI (in this context) is digital. You need something more than a physical adapter.

Here's a link to a solution:

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0151-VGAT

I'm not sure if there are cheaper solutions...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    A PCMCIA card is probably the best option - although the one you linked too seems very expensive. Dell make some very good 20" monitors with VGA so if your Apple monitor is new you could try returning it - or selling it on eBay.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Connecting a 20-inch display via VGA is a bad idea for quality reasons. You'd never be using the screen to its full potential.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Does the docking bay for the D600 have a DVI connector? The docking bay I use with my D610 and Inspiron 8600 does, even though the laptops themselves do not.

Steve
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Good call! Looks like it does and the docking station is a cheaper (and obviously much better) solution than those mentioned above.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Good call! Looks like it does and the docking station is a cheaper (and obviously much better) solution than those mentioned above.

The docking bay also has a S/PDIF (coaxial) audio output, if needed. I imagine you can find them on eBay pretty reasonably. (make sure they have a power supply with them, if you go the eBay route).

Steve