Screw replacing the eMac, time to champion the NC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Can't get a cheaper computer than just adding another Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse to an existing computer.

I would think by now there is ample excess power so that almost any intel mac with the ability to drive two displays could do it. More than two accounts I'm not sure.

Actually, I'd really like to know if there is some hack to do it right now. There certianly is no technical reason why it can't work since you can already have multiple accounts open at once.

NEW EDIT- Just occured to me that Apple HAS to do this. They have no choice. Programs like Parallel's workstation will make it possible soon to run multiple OSs on different monitors, controlled by different keyboards. Of course it is more taxing on the processor to run several full blown OSes instead of having one OS managing several open accounts at once, so it will be slow until apple does it native. But the demand will be there like crazy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmmm if anything, computer companies probably want us to buy MORE computers... instead of using the same machine for 2+ users... just a thought.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Can't get a cheaper computer than just adding another Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse to an existing computer.

It's not clear whether this is true or not. Most of the NCs on the market are $400-500. You might as well just buy a mini.

Quote:

Actually, I'd really like to know if there is some hack to do it right now. There certianly is no technical reason why it can't work since you can already have multiple accounts open at once.

OS X has a built-in VNC server; combined with fast user switching it already works.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

hmmm if anything, computer companies probably want us to buy MORE computers... instead of using the same machine for 2+ users... just a thought.

No, they don't really care how many computers we buy, just what their profit is.

Imagine the margins on a computer that is completely software. Apple just sells you a disc that turns your computer into two computers so long as you buy a monitor and keyboard. Maybe they provide a little incentive to buy their monitors and keyboards along with it.

Apple has to spend no real extra money on inventory of new eMacs, they beat out cheap ass PCs, provide ease of management, allow schools to buy workhorse Mac Pros that can run the Pro software well while still having computer labs that serve many.

The only real question is how many computers can you turn one computer into.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

OS X has a built-in VNC server; combined with fast user switching it already works.

Hmm. I guess the only question is how would you designate that the VNC'd account gets controlled by the other keyboard and mouse.