Warcraft III Could it be the best game of the century?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
All I can say is that it has potential.

I stood in line for about five minutes to get in the store and am proud to say that I was the first one out after being tenth in line. Right.

Okay seriously. This game is freeking awesome. I am one of those big blizzard fans who has liked them since the start, expecially since they are one of the only software companies to exclusively target the few the proud the rare mac gamer.

I opened the elvan box version with tender care and placed the cd carefully into my slotted drive of my imac. As soon as that sweet X cd icon displayed I was touched. The instalation was worth the wait (about 5 min max).

Enough with the touchy feely stuff and down to the cold hard play of the game. First i began with the prologue. This part was very helpful far exceding the quality of Starcraft which we all know is the best game ever, or now is it time for it to move over.

I can not say if it is. Warcraft III far exceeds the graphics capabilities of Starcraft. Plus to Warcraft. Warcraft combines every good rpg gaming element, and then some. Plus Warcraft. It lets you have powerful heroes. Again Warcraft. It tells you when your workers are being lazy. Hmm Warcraft. It allows you to have millions of upgradable qualities. You know the line. Also can I say the races are the best, with the firepower to defend your base with workers and the even more cool elves who have buildings that can uproot and fight for you like the massive beasts they are. Lastly, but not least, it no longer lets you have the massive battles with a cap of 90 food sharings and men that dont exactly come cheap food wise. Whereas Starcraft you can create a million guys and ravage someones camp in a matter of seconds.

The only downside to the Warcraft title is that the Multiplayer/Battle.net is not quite as good as Starcraft. They tried, but fell well short of the Starcraft battle.net. Big plus Starcraft.

Lets tally the points:

Warcraft: Starcraft:

7 total points 1 massive point

You be the judge, but in this mans eyes I think this game certainly has potential to slay the still thriveing giant of Starcraft. All they need is a little battle.net boost.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    airioxairiox Posts: 20member
    srry for the future confusion

Warcraft III:

7 points

Starcraft:

1 massive point
  • Reply 2 of 15
    airioxairiox Posts: 20member
    srry one more thing.

I mentioned century in the title. By me saying century i mean the last hundred years and not the 21st cetury
  • Reply 3 of 15
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Is the letter "o" really that difficult to type?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    [quote]Originally posted by kaboom:

<strong>Is the letter "o" really that difficult to type?</strong><hr></blockquote>

shut up kabm
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    n
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lordshaqlordshaq Posts: 1member
    "I opened the elvan box version with tender care and placed the cd carefully into my slotted drive of my imac. As soon as that sweet X cd icon displayed I was touched. The instalation was worth the wait (about 5 min max)"

I couldnt help but get a chuckle out of this. In contrast to how I did it: I ripped open the box, shredded the plastic off the CD, grabbed it out of the case, and dropped it in the cd-rom drive tray.

I wish i couldda felt 'touched' when the OS X cd icon appeared, because i soon realized how slow and choppy the game can be in OS X, on a Yikes, Radeon 32, Gig of Ram machine, especially compared to how it runs in OS 9. (much much faster)

"Warcraft combines every good rpg gaming element, and then some."

I don't know about combining "every good" rpg element, and then some -- more like, every basic RPG element.

I guess I wasn't quite as impressed as some people, I honestly don't think its even close to a title such as the "best game of the year", no less the century. Its good, but I suppose its better if you're a hardcore warcraft fan.

-R
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I like it

but it's no where near the best game ever.

I wanted this game to be an RPG

but they turned it into an RPRTS

I wanted levelling, adventuring, dungeouns and cool monsters.

instead we got 3d starcraft with heros.

I'm pretty disappointed about the whole destruction of the games purpose in development.

On top of that.

My computer is so old that I can barely play it.

G4 450

=(
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    My post was purely demonstrative.

I do like WCIII

But I am severly disappointed that Blizzard wussed out and simply made ANOTHER RTS.

I mean, sure, they invented the genre, but I'm not so sure they should milk every last drop out of it.

They need to make a new genre - or freshen up another one
  • Reply 9 of 15
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    I like it. Its a fun game... game of the year though? I don't know, the year is only half over, could be a few surprises left. At any rate, i think the best part is the fact that it came out Mac/Windows at the same time. Even the first patch was right about the same time for both platforms. That in itself should make it Mac Game of the Year.

I like how the main storyline is very serious, but the game itself is filled with humor. For those who haven't played earlier war crafts, click on a unit to select it, then keep clicking on it. So far I think the Priest is the funniest with the Rifleman a close second ("Ye can have me blunderbuss when ye pry it from me cold dead hands!" "Guns don't kill people, I do!").

Also, I have a 450Mhz G4 cube with a GeForce2MX and I think the game is playable. I kicked up the resolution really high, but it still doesn't seem high ... bug or something? The characters are really big and not a lot fits on the screen. Maybe I'm just picky. The only thing i don't like is that you can't pause and switch back to the desktop. In Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds you could hit Cmd+P and it would pause the game, hide it, and free up just about all of its resources ... I could then surf the web or whatever, even put the mac to sleep and then back on, and the game would still be fine, and start right back up.

Otherwise, awesome game, lots of fun!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I've tried a number of battle tactics for mixed armies (the only useful army... you can't kill anything with 16 archers, 16 knights, etc.)

When moving the army together, the automatic organization of melee to the front, spellcasters behind that, ranged behind that, artillery/bombardment in the back was very nice. However unless I clicked for the whole army to attack one target, then clicked on the next target, next, etc., the melee would tear after anything in range, while the ranged attackers and artillery would just sit there.

So next I tried putting heroes in one group, melee in the next, spellcasters/ranged in the next, bombardment in the last (and I usually put flying creatures in with melee or heroes). That way I could direct each group to appropriate targets. I directed the melee to the enemy ranged/spellcasters/artillery, my ranged to the enemy melee, my artillery to enemy buildings. Then I figured out what a damn pain in the ass it was to cast beneficial hero spells (healing, etc.) on my units. You actually would have to locate the hurt unit WITH YOUR [poopy] CURSOR IN THE MIDDLE OF BATTLE AND CLICK ON THEM WITH THE SPELL ACTIVE. Not possible. Of course, if the healing spell auto-cast, that wouldn't be a problem...

So now I just bandbox random units, press 'A' and click in the middle of the base. It all works about the same. It's all about superior numbers, barely about strategy. On b.net, just run for the gold mines and start pumping them out as fast as possible. Once you hit the 'High Upkeep' point, just send the army in and hope for the best. LAME!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Someday I'll learn to stop using the back button in these forums...

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Ender ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Best game of the century? From Blizzard? Don't make me laugh. What's new since their last 'Craft game...and the one before that? Not much. Move along.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I am plenty happy with medal of honor although I have heard this to be a good game, I`m sure it cant be better then starcraft though the all time cancer of my social life that is until I contracted MOHAA...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    n

LOL!!! ROFL, ok, sorry, that just struck me as damn funny.

as for the game, i like it. it's fun. actually bought it even though i had a "trial" version. i am impressed with the dual release, and it's pretty much a prettier SC, which is all i was expecting.

as for a true RPG, don't they have "world of warcraft" or is that not out yet? i have a hell of a time keeping track.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dgalvandgalvan Posts: 2member
    hey, does anyone know if I'll be able to run WC3 on my comp? I have a Ti Book G4 400 with a Rage Mobility (I think). I'm not totally sure but I think the built in 3d card only has 8 megs of ram, and the box says that WC3 needs 16 for a mac (8 for a PC. . . weird). With that issue as the only bottleneck, I was hoping someone could tell me if they tried it on a similar machine and got it to work, before I fork over my moola.

Thanks!!