help with Gimp

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

Is someone using Gimp - I installed it from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ and the FILTER menu is empty and no scripts (for example script-fu) are available?

I new to mac so maybe I missing something ... phyton?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by kungla

phyton?

I think you mean Python. That comes as standard with OS X.

I don't know why there would be no filters. I can't recall if GIMP includes any scripts by default anyway.

Either way, you shouldn't use GIMP. Because it has to run under X11, it is slow. It's not very good at anti-aliasing images either. Plus it only comes with bitmap brushes so you can't resize each brush.

If you are on a budget, I'd recommend Photoshop Elements. You can pick it up very cheap (£20-100) on Amazon or ebay. It has probably all of the features you'd need in an image package and you can get close to the features of the full Photoshop using plugins because it supports a lot of the standard Photoshop plugins. It is far better than Gimp.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kunglakungla Posts: 2member
    Thanks - I'll try Elements demo and see what it can do.

Baytheway have you ever worked width GIMP - it's bretty good if you get use to it. And I didn't notice that it is slower in X11;

I do webdesigns with Gimp and I can't ask for more, because Gimp does everythink I'll need. maybe the weakpoint is gif animation (it works, but hard to make), but i think Elements dosent do it at all. Then I'll need a Indesign (or what it was).

For example my curretnt work in gimp, that shows the quality what Gipm can do www.itcollege.ee/~vkungla/eine (png's are used) - no antianalaysing problems.

Maybe Gimp not good for drawning whith freehand and brushes - haven't tryed this - I prefer vector graphics SVG. Useing Inkscape for that - not so good as GIMP but can do the job - sad that no animation.

If I think what would cost all quality software that I need (dreamweaver, photoshop, indesign, illustrator, 3ds max) ... I'll better use open source (Quanta (sad that not for mac - II would be happy if I am wrong), Gimp, Inkscape, Blender) - I am a student not

Bill Gates
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by kungla

Baytheway have you ever worked width GIMP - it's bretty good if you get use to it. And I didn't notice that it is slower in X11;

Yeah, I once deleted PS and used Gimp for about a week or so straight but the painting was slow to update, online tutorials generally use PS and the bitmap bushes really got to me.

Quote:

no antianalaysing problems.

The anti-aliasing problems are in the display I mean not in the image output.

Quote:

Maybe Gimp not good for drawning whith freehand and brushes - haven't tryed this - I prefer vector graphics SVG. Useing Inkscape for that - not so good as GIMP but can do the job - sad that no animation.

Yeah, I use inkscape too. I really wish there was better than X11. Maybe it's because I use a Mini that I find it slow.