HDD Swap on MB & MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently purchased a Black Macbook, and I love it, but I really want the MBP now. So what I was going to do, since I have an apple credit card, is get the MBP and my g/f will take over payments on my MB.

But, I really don't want too lose any info, and I don't want to hassle with the copy the hdd thing, and I would really just like to keep my HDD now. So I am curious, can I swap the HDD's? will that effect anything? So the MB would have the 120gb 5400rpm HDD, and my MBP would have my 100gb 7200rpm HDD?

Any forseable problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    no problems. Other than the MBP will be harder to get the hard drive out.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    You have to remove the top casing right?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    the macbook is pretty sweet, just remove the battery, remove two screws and slide it out, replace new hard drive onto trays (4 more screws) and repeat in the opposite steps.

Macbook Pro looks like fun:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85.6.0.html
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Don't even bother 'removing' the drive. When you get the new MBP, and first turn it on, you'll get a prompt asking if you want to transfer the User from another Mac via Firewire connection.

Works like a charm! Moves all User info, bookmarks, apps, network settings... you name it. When you finally boot up, it'll be exactly like your MB, even down to your desktop wallpaper and files on your desktop. Then just reformat your old MB and give it to your g/f nice and clean.

Apple is brilliant with this. You'll never need to 'start from scratch" with a bare system ever again.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ikDigital

Don't even bother 'removing' the drive. When you get the new MBP, and first turn it on, you'll get a prompt asking if you want to transfer the User from another Mac via Firewire connection.

Works like a charm! Moves all User info, bookmarks, apps, network settings... you name it. When you finally boot up, it'll be exactly like your MB, even down to your desktop wallpaper and files on your desktop. Then just reformat your old MB and give it to your g/f nice and clean.

Apple is brilliant with this. You'll never need to 'start from scratch" with a bare system ever again.

transfer is about 3 hours...give or take an hour, + format and reinstall...about 2 more hours. Sounds like a boring day. I'd swap the drives, following those directions since they don't look that bad, it can't take more than an hour on a bad day to swap.

other option:

do the transfer, then create a new user on the macbook for your girlfriend with admin rights and delete your old account...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    no, screw transfering files. That will take way too long.

Plus I would like to just start from anew on the macbook for my g/f.

Plus the main reason for me swapping, is I would like too keep my 7200rpm, as well as my downloaded files.

I just want to make sure that when the time comes, none of the software or files are different for the mbp than the mb.