ShawnJ is Going to Law School!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Good times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My god, I would never go into law. But if you have a mind for it and that's you want to do, more power to you.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Congratulations.

Just out of respect, we'll wait 24 hours before we start with the Lawyer jokes.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Learning how to cook is totally optional.

If you look at the economics of it, the opportunity cost of cooking a meal is relatively high given that you'll need to spend a lot of time studying obtuse material. As for the apartment, that's something you'll have to evaluate. I'd recommend living alone unless that's financially impossible for you. I'm not sure what the real estate value and rent is like in Harrisburg.

On a similar note, one of my friends is an independent engineering consultant who scored a gig in Boca Raton not too long after some of the hurricanes went through. The cost of rentals and long-term hotels was driven up quite a bit, so he bought an old Astro van and a membership to Bally's (for the running water). He told me that he was glad that he was only there for two months during the winter, but he still has the van.

Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

My god, I would never go into law. But if you have a mind for it and that's you want to do, more power to you.

Soon enough you'll find that going into law is how liberal arts majors get jobs. Especially the ones in the humanities.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Congratulations.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Widener in Harrisburg.

Not exactly a top-tier school.

But:

1) I made the final decision to go to law school at the latest possible point in the admissions cycle,

2) the money was right,

3) being 2hrs from home has perks that I intend to fully exploit,

4) First-year law education is mostly the same at every ABA approved school, and finally

5) I can always transfer.

Time to start:

1) Looking for an apartment

2) Learning how to cook better

3) Buying a brand new MacBook Pro!

Ah, so exciting!

Who's for a debate on tort-reform in a few months?

What happened to helping the children via Teach For America?

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

daddy/mommy took away the creditcard and froze the trust-fund maybe?

What do you call 1,000 law school dropouts? saved from a life of eternal damnnation!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Congrats. Now go watch The Paper Chase about 40 times in a row.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Congratulations.

Just out of respect, we'll wait 24 hours before we start with the Lawyer jokes.

Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Congratulations.

Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Congrats. Now go watch The Paper Chase about 40 times in a row.

Thanks!

I saw that movie once and read One L by Scott Turow-- both kind of scared the crap out of me. But I have a feeling that spending my first year at Widener isn't going to be nearly as competitive as a school like Harvard.

Hopefully I can do extremely well and transfer to a better school in a larger city that I eventually want to practice in.

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Learning how to cook is totally optional.

If you look at the economics of it, the opportunity cost of cooking a meal is relatively high given that you'll need to spend a lot of time studying obtuse material. As for the apartment, that's something you'll have to evaluate. I'd recommend living alone unless that's financially impossible for you. I'm not sure what the real estate value and rent is like in Harrisburg.

I think that makes sense.

Plus, I'm already blowing 100 grand.

What's a few more bucks in takeout costs compared to that?

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Soon enough you'll find that going into law is how liberal arts majors get jobs. Especially the ones in the humanities.

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

I never applied. I think I decided I felt differently about the whole thing.

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

daddy/mommy took away the creditcard and froze the trust-fund maybe?

Well, you can live on a teacher's salary.

I would know.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Congrats Shawnj

Don't worry too much about big name schools. If you want to jump into a large firm then going to a "prestigious" school is the ticket. If you want to become a good Lawyer then simply work hard.

My mother didn't go to the best Law School in WA even though she was accepted at some fine institutions out of state but that didn't stop her from excelling when she got her experience her talent was evident.

Go knock'em dead.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    Congrats and good luck
  • Reply 11 of 30
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Shawn I wish you the best with your new ventures !!

foods to eat which require little prep time:

Apples

grapes

nuts

grape nuts

etc.

Congrats man!

Fellows
  • Reply 12 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    ShawnJ this topic is of great interest to me. I have for the past year been mulling going to law school, to become an environmental attorney most likely for some federal agency, after I work in the environmental field as a scientist for a few years. My reasoning is thusly: so I can become a high-ranking environmental policy-maker in an agency, after litigating for 5-10 years, and then perhaps eventually, after 5-10 years in an agency, jump in to politics, state or hell maybe even US Rep. That's a bit down the road so who knows.

I'm curious as to the whole admissions process. And how was the LSAT? I took one a while back online from Kaplan and holy crap the logic games kill me. The Reasoning and comprehension I flew through no prob. Always had a knack for reading comprehension, with nearly an 800 on the SAT verbal and a 5 in English AP.

And what area of law are you going in to?

Tell me more, this thread will be really helpful for me! Is anyone else here a lawyer, or thinking about becoming one?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Two pieces of advice from someone who has been through it.

1. It doesn't matter where you go to law school - the first year will be hell. Expect that. Anyone who doesn't is setting themselves up for failure.

2. It doesn't matter where you go to law school - it matters what grades you get there. Afterall, A student become Law Professors, B students become Judges. And C students? C students become rich.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    And what grades do prosecutors get?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Thanks for the chuckle Obra.

Interesting you mention that, on the location. I am wondering though, what if you want to specialize? For example, it seems only Duke, VT Law, and William and Mary (I think?) offer environmental law programs. You know of any others? And if I've been doing soil classification, forestry, and GIS, very different from legal analyses, will I really be able to handle it? I'm actually kind of nervous. Especially that first year as you mentioned. One of my professors did the same thing I did, he got a B.S., then JD, and then practiced environmental law for a few years before quitting, because at the time, in the early 80s, Regan reigned and it was too rough so he got out. I have to talk to him more about it. The one thing he said was that "It was the worst three years of my life." Yikes!

edit: Obra I forget, what is your current job? And can you perhaps tell us about your career (if you do not mind.) How was getting in to/getting through school? How about the bar? And what internships did you do? Any other anecdotes would be highly appreciated. I've read books like So You Want to be a Lawyer, and Getting In to Law School, and I found them surprisingly cursory.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Congrats. I hope to be applying to law schools myself this fall. Like yourself, I'm looking at some tier 2-4 law schools as well.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    As will I. I'm sure my LSAT will be decent, but my GPA isn't. It's not even quite a 3. I got all As my second two years, even in graduate courses and really hard courses. I simply didn't go to class my freshmen year. Dumb mistake, I know. I learned my lesson. It makes me nervous though, the crap GPA. I'll be working for a few years though--doesn't good work experience help in admissions?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I wouldn't be surprised if lots of law schools didn't care much at all about your GPA.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Congrats Shawnj

Don't worry too much about big name schools. If you want to jump into a large firm then going to a "prestigious" school is the ticket. If you want to become a good Lawyer then simply work hard.

My mother didn't go to the best Law School in WA even though she was accepted at some fine institutions out of state but that didn't stop her from excelling when she got her experience her talent was evident.

Go knock'em dead.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vargas

Congrats and good luck

Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Shawn I wish you the best with your new ventures !!

Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

Congrats. I hope to be applying to law schools myself this fall. Like yourself, I'm looking at some tier 2-4 law schools as well.

Thanks, guys.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

ShawnJ this topic is of great interest to me. I have for the past year been mulling going to law school, to become an environmental attorney most likely for some federal agency, after I work in the environmental field as a scientist for a few years. My reasoning is thusly: so I can become a high-ranking environmental policy-maker in an agency, after litigating for 5-10 years, and then perhaps eventually, after 5-10 years in an agency, jump in to politics, state or hell maybe even US Rep. That's a bit down the road so who knows.

I'm curious as to the whole admissions process. And how was the LSAT? I took one a while back online from Kaplan and holy crap the logic games kill me. The Reasoning and comprehension I flew through no prob. Always had a knack for reading comprehension, with nearly an 800 on the SAT verbal and a 5 in English AP.

And what area of law are you going in to?

Tell me more, this thread will be really helpful for me! Is anyone else here a lawyer, or thinking about becoming one?

I'd recommend reading Susan Estrich's book, "How to Get into Law School."

I didn't until last week.

The LSAT logic games section was brutal--I'd recommend taking the course, studying months in advance, taking 10 or more real, timed tests, etc. You have to put in the work to learn the "language" of the test to do well. I can't emphasize that enough.

Regrettably, I didn't, for one reason or another.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

As will I. I'm sure my LSAT will be decent, but my GPA isn't. It's not even quite a 3. I got all As my second two years, even in graduate courses and really hard courses. I simply didn't go to class my freshmen year. Dumb mistake, I know. I learned my lesson. It makes me nervous though, the crap GPA. I'll be working for a few years though--doesn't good work experience help in admissions?

Schools do consider a composite of your LSAT and GPA, but like midwinter says, your GPA hardly matters much.

I had a 3.9 while taking at least 1/3rd of my courses as more difficult honors versions.

The fact that your GPA is so low kind of bothers me though. Maybe you should consider writing some sort of addendum explaining your poor performance early in your college career.

Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

Two pieces of advice from someone who has been through it.

1. It doesn't matter where you go to law school - the first year will be hell. Expect that. Anyone who doesn't is setting themselves up for failure.

2. It doesn't matter where you go to law school - it matters what grades you get there. Afterall, A student become Law Professors, B students become Judges. And C students? C students become rich.

Thanks, OBJRA10.

I'm not mentally prepared for it at all at this point.

I just started getting a routine down this week after two weeks of phrases like "10L of wine" and "buckets of coronitas."
  • Reply 20 of 30
    It's pretty low, I suppose for law school (2.93). You'd be surprised what failing a few classes does to your GPA, even if the rest of the grades are As and Bs. That's what it does. However the trend is strongly upward in some amazingly challenging courses, in which I kicked ass and finished on Dean's list the second half of college (for each semester.) I will indeed include it in the addendum.

I think that's the book I read. It was...okay. Nothing to surprising. I think I'll do fine on the LSATs, and yes I certainly will study my ass off, so they're second nature. I'm still not sure whether I'll do it or not. Maybe I'll just pick up a Master of Science in environmental studies. Hmm...In a way, working for a few years is a way to put off thinking about it. Because I'm acutely aware now that I need either an M.S. or another degree such as a J.D. to really do what I want to do. In my field, without an M.S. or "experience" you can't get a job. And to get "experience" you need an M.S. No way around it really...