Strange question on MacBooks and MacMinis

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As I believe my little issue is related to the integrated graphics I'd like to know from MacBooks and MacMinis users if the scrolling of long menus (such as a pop-up menu from a folder in a dock with a lot of items) is smooth or not. It's not a big problem but I hate this and noted that is not driver-related as it happens also with no video drivers loaded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majortom

It's not a big problem but I hate this and noted that is not driver-related as it happens also with no video drivers loaded.

I'm curious how you'd manage to boot Mac OS X, let alone scroll inside a menu, "with no video drivers loaded".
  • Reply 2 of 10
    well, if you feel scrolling is lagging, or slow. here is a tip to make it faster. it isn't nothing to with video memory sharing. have heard about 2D extreme quartz? it usually uses for 2D environment which moves more faster, quick.

open terminal application which is in utilities.

adding this.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver \\Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES

then it will ask you for password. put it on. restart. see real difference!

check it 'about this mac' graphic/displays
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hanenthanent Posts: 19member
    'no video drivers loaded'?? I think you mean safe boot, right?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SAFE BOOT, yes. Also enabled QE2D but nothing changed: can't remember if faster or slower but still not smooth. Scrolling seems to start and stop here and there...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

SAFE BOOT, yes. Also enabled QE2D but nothing changed: can't remember if faster or slower but still not smooth. Scrolling seems to start and stop here and there...

well, you need more memory.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Also noted that OpenGL is involved as OpenGL Driver Monitor reports changes in VRAM while scrolling menus. Strange, isn't it. But nothing changes as the problem still remains with no drivers loaded (sorry, repeating myself...).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by archurban

well, you need more memory.

2Gbyte, same type, same producer, same prod. date... etc. etc..
  • Reply 8 of 10
    What score do you get from XBench in User Interface? Mine can range from 15 to 45 depending "on the moment" while the proc's is always 1.5Ghz and no other tasks running... (?)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

As I believe my little issue is related to the integrated graphics I'd like to know from MacBooks and MacMinis users if the scrolling of long menus (such as a pop-up menu from a folder in a dock with a lot of items) is smooth or not. It's not a big problem but I hate this and noted that is not driver-related as it happens also with no video drivers loaded.

My MacBook scrolls smoothly. RIght-clicking and scrolling folder contents from the dock is instant.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

2Gbyte, same type, same producer, same prod. date... etc. etc..

that's strange. even you have more memory than I have. mine has 1GB. but everything is so smooth. no lagging, faster. transition from expose to dashboard with a lot of folder, file opening is no problem at all. I don't know the reason yours has. but you need to bring it to apple store.