Will a Mini work for me?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

Been lurking around these forums for quite some time. I'm considering purchasing a new 1.66Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini to replace my somewhat aging 2.6Ghz Pentium 4. However, the (relatively) low clock speed of the fastest Mini somewhat concerns me for longevity's sake. What kind of performance can I expect to see from a Mini in comparison to a Pentium 4? I've googled the topic, and can't find quite the information I'm looking for.

Some additional information:

I plan on using the computer for organizing photos, burning CDs/DVDs, and maybe some occasional VERY minor video editing (stuff like simply cutting/combining clips, adding fade in and out, etc). I also plan on using Windows XP in a virtualization environment (i.e. Parallels) for the occasional development work I encounter in VB .NET. I seem to vaguely remember hearing somewhere that the 1.66Ghz Core Duo doesn't contain the virtualization optimization instructions that the other Core Duo chips contain. Is this correct?

I know everyone's initial responses may be "Get an iMac!" Well, I've had two of them, both of which I had to return with problems. I finally got fed up and just got my money back. Both times the problems were with the display, so I want to give a "headless" Mac a try. The Mini is just so cool looking and fits very nicely into my budget.

Thoughts? Thanks guys...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Sounds like the mini should be fine for you.

The mini has been out for five months now, though, and it is due for an update sometime in the not to distant future. I think it certainly would behoove you to wait. It doesn't sound like you need it right this instant, and its always nice to get a processor that's a bit faster and a HD that's a bit beefier.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    majortommajortom Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pcguru83

Hey guys,

Been lurking around these forums for quite some time. I'm considering purchasing a new 1.66Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini to replace my somewhat aging 2.6Ghz Pentium 4. However, the (relatively) low clock speed of the fastest Mini somewhat concerns me for longevity's sake.

You can upgrade the CPU when morefull revisions are out (actually you can push it to 2.16 - it's just expensive, now...). I'm not sure but a Core 2 Duo transplant has also been done recently...

Quote:

What kind of performance can I expect to see from a Mini in comparison to a Pentium 4? I've googled the topic, and can't find quite the information I'm looking for.

Not a simple answer... for me.

Quote:

Some additional information:

I plan on using the computer for organizing photos, burning CDs/DVDs, and maybe some occasional VERY minor video editing (stuff like simply cutting/combining clips, adding fade in and out, etc). I also plan on using Windows XP in a virtualization environment (i.e. Parallels) for the occasional development work I encounter in VB .NET. I seem to vaguely remember hearing somewhere that the 1.66Ghz Core Duo doesn't contain the virtualization optimization instructions that the other Core Duo chips contain. Is this correct?

For video-editing it should be a good machine if you place enough RAM and fast and capable external FW Hard Disks. Better keep apps on the Mac Mini and datas on external 7200 RPM drives.

For VB development as I believe you do not need special 2D performance (forget the 3d one...) virtualization is a good solution. I've been testing Parallels for a month and I'm quietly happy about it and don't forget that soon we may have other solutions from other companies (VMware for example). Also remember that on an extreme need of performance in the 2D and 3D areas you can install native Win XP SP2 with Apple's BootCamp in a dedicated partition (which BC creates without loosing your existing datas) and then boot directly into Win XP like on a common PC.

Virtualization problems on MacMinis: there are. Seems that HW virtualization is off by default in EFI (BIOS) but there are workarounds for it (check Parallels' forum) and seems to be a bug and not an Apple's block.

Quote:

I know everyone's initial responses may be "Get an iMac!" Well, I've had two of them, both of which I had to return with problems. I finally got fed up and just got my money back. Both times the problems were with the display, so I want to give a "headless" Mac a try. The Mini is just so cool looking and fits very nicely into my budget.

Thoughts? Thanks guys...

I also had few bad experiences with Apple but I'm an Apple user since the 128Kb Mac in 1984. I had about 20 different machine through the years and I'll never change. Especially now that compatibility with other platforms is higher.

COME ON "PCGURU83"... JOIN THE (APPLE) CLUB AND BECOME "MACGURU83" ASAP!!! YOU'LL FIND OUT THAT THIS IS A COOLER FAMILY!!!

• Reply 3 of 12
    pcguru83pcguru83 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

COME ON "PCGURU83"... JOIN THE (APPLE) CLUB AND BECOME "MACGURU83" ASAP!!! YOU'LL FIND OUT THAT THIS IS A COOLER FAMILY!!!

Ha!! Great response majortom! Actually made me laugh out loud. When I was signing up, the irony in signing up for a Mac forum with this username (which I've used for at least five years now) was not lost on me. Good stuff!!

Anyways, I'm convinced and will make the plunge this evening. All responses I received here and from the Apple Discussion boards indicate I shouldn't have any issues with a Mini, so I'm off to make the purchase.

The virtualization optimization is what had me most worried, and seeing that there is a workaround eases the last of my concerns. Can't wait to report back later this evening from my new Mini!! Thanks guys!!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Hey guys,

Been lurking around these forums for quite some time. I'm considering purchasing a new 1.66Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini to replace my somewhat aging 2.6Ghz Pentium 4. However, the (relatively) low clock speed of the fastest Mini somewhat concerns me for longevity's sake.

Really, you can have ~2 Duo minis for the price of one iMac, so as to longevity, I say buy the Mini, up it to 2 gigs of ram yourself, then buy another one in ~2 years...the mini 2 years from now will likely be quite a bit faster than the iMac of today and if you consider that an iMac has a usfull life of about three years to the Minis 2 on software generations (think decent preformance in iMovie), 2 minis nets you an extra year of usfull life (and a nice hand-me-down to the kids, wife, whatever in 2 years...)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Really, you can have ~2 Duo minis for the price of one iMac, so as to longevity, I say buy the Mini, up it to 2 gigs of ram yourself, then buy another one in ~2 years...the mini 2 years from now will likely be quite a bit faster than the iMac of today and if you consider that an iMac has a usfull life of about three years to the Minis 2 on software generations (think decent preformance in iMovie), 2 minis nets you an extra year of usfull life (and a nice hand-me-down to the kids, wife, whatever in 2 years...)

Great point a_greer. That actually factored into my decision a bit. For such a cheap price, even if the Mini begins to show it's age in two years, it won't be any big deal to get the latest and greatest Mini at the time.

Well, it's done...I'm typing this from my new Mac Mini!! Where has this thing been all my life? I'm extrememly happy with it so far and can't wait to play around with it some more. I'll be upgrading the RAM in it soon (probably give it a shot tomorrow or Monday night), as I already have the RAM chips from the iMac's I had problems with. Can't wait to get it up to 2GB... I've found the great disassembly instructions on iFixit.com, but I believe it's for the PowerPC mini. Anyone know where I can get some good instructions for the Inel Mini's? I've heard it's a bit different (more complicated) for the Inels... That would be greatly appreciated.

Glad I'm part of the Mac community and I look forward to participating in these forums more often now.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I haven't heard of any problems from the the revised iMac G5's or iMac Core Duos. Every iMac model prior had its share of issues, but the current design seems to be very well engineered.

With that said, my P4 3.4GHz laptop at work gets sorely beat by a Core Duo 1.83. I can't imagine that a 1.66 is too much worse.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

WOW never thout about it like that

THANKS

ive been ooing and ahhing about a new mini to tide me over for a few months till the imacs get an upgrade, this has made the decision easier for me.

i have a buyer for my current mini so should save even more cash
  • Reply 8 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

nyone know where I can get some good instructions for the Inel Mini's? I've heard it's a bit different (more complicated) for the Inels... That would be greatly appreciated.

youtube and Macworld to the rescue with video
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

youtube and Macworld to the rescue with video

Well, I was a tad bit late in reading this. I went ahead and tried it myself using the iFixit guide and was able to do it with no problems. 8) It's really not that different...the only difference was an extra screw holding the black assembly piece onto the top of the logic board. No biggie really. Everything else was identical, just in case anyone else is interested in upgrading their Mini.

I did sorta have an issue...nothing major though. I somehow managed to bend one of the metal tabs on the rear of the unit and it VERY slightly effected how flush the unit fit together on the rear where the connections are. Truthfully, if you didn't know what you were looking for, you probably couldn't even tell. Unfortunately, I'm very OCD about my stuf and I can tell that the great "Apple fit" is gone. Oh well, not that major I suppose. Nobody will see the back of it anyways...

Loving the 1.66GHz Core Duo LOADED with 2GB of RAM...nice!!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    And like another poster mentioned you can add a Core Duo 2 chip to you mini in the future, you can see the news here -> http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-06-08/#5586 (sroll down a bit)

And as you can notice they did a benchmark that clearly beats a Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac G5, while it is one test we can be pretty sure that it will definitly match very well VS the G5 PowerMacs

I really want a Mini... but alas I must wait! Hopefully by the time I do buy it they will come with CoreDuo 2 chip

btw glad your enjoying your machine!!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    majortommajortom Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Ha!! Great response majortom! Actually made me laugh out loud. When I was signing up, the irony in signing up for a Mac forum with this username (which I've used for at least five years now) was not lost on me. Good stuff!!

Really? I know I'm not the only "majortom" around the internet but I didn't meet anyone 'till now. I'm using this nick since 1996 here and there... comes from Mr. David Bowie, of course.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by majortom

Really? I know I'm not the only "majortom" around the internet but I didn't meet anyone 'till now. I'm using this nick since 1996 here and there... comes from Mr. David Bowie, of course.

No, no, I was talking about my username, pcguru83. It dawned on me when I registered that I was registering as "pcguru" on a Mac forum. Just rather ironic, as you pointed out in your original post.