Slow page loads

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm having a somewhat odd problem (aren't we all). My internet connection has recently... slowed to crawl. However, only when browsing using Safari, Firefox, Camino or any other browser. Testing my connection (via sites such as broadbandreports.com) reports normal speeds. It takes forever to load these speed test sites, but the actual test goes along just fine. Along the same lines I can download files from the internet (assuming I can get them started) just fine.

I can talk on AIM fine, send files around the local network, I can even play various online games just fine. It literally seems like the computer is having a hard time rendering html. But as I have tested it in a number of browsers, created new user accounts, repaired permissons, and even clean installed I feel there must be something more sinister going on.

It will often stall out at "connecting" to various servers. I will get errors saying I am not connected to the internet, or safari (or whatever browser I'm using) cannot find the server (even though I can be IMing in the background). Running the network diagonstics utility will often say the "server" is the problem, but before I can get through with it the server "light" goes back to green. However I am still plagued by slow page loads.

I thought it might be my router or cable modem, I have reset both devices multiple times, tried different ethernet cords, and tried different ports on the reuter. I would then assume it was merely my provider being screwy, but I have Windows PC sitting right next to my G5, on the same network, that works just fine.

Once I have a site loaded, it seems I can browse around that site without much trouble. If I can get www.appleinsider.com to load, I can then browse various articles on it without much problem. But if I try going somewhere else it takes forever to load (if at all).

This all sounds like my ISP is being wonky and is having trouble resolving domain names. But as I said, the PC on the same network is doing just fine.

Dual 2.0 G5 Rev. A Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You didn't happen to install an adblocker at any point? Some ad blockers modify your hosts file that redirects ad links to 127.0.0.1. If the hosts file is big then it can take a while to load websites:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...51110111329703

That's the only thing I can think of at the moment that isn't browser or network related.

To open the hosts file, you can type open -e /etc/hosts in the terminal. If it only has a few lines then it's not likely to be the problem.

Do you maybe need to manually enter the address of a DNS server? Check your internet settings on your PC.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Mine has slowed too-- but not all the time. Weird. No installs, nothing.

For me, though, Firfox works fine, but Safari and Opera are slow.