Apple execs to preview "Leopard" at WWDC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I sure do hope they come out with a spreadsheet. I spent 16 hours wrestling with trying to script Excel to do a simple task and it still won't do it. Not to mention it's a shitty Carbon kludge that is an embarrassment to modern software design.

You can be sure that if Apple releases a spreadsheet, it will have an AppleScript Dictionary that will be very robust and comprehensive. And moving the cursor through a formula with the arrow keys won't take 1/2 second for the cursor to advance to each character. There will be a Cocoa SDK for the spreadsheet framework so that you can embed little spreadsheet items in any window or document. You could send a spreadsheet object in an email and it would just work, right there in the email. Etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Monday formally announced that CEO Steve Jobs will headline a team of Apple executives that will kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in August with a keynote preview of Mac OS X "Leopard."

Throughout the presentation, Jobs will be joined on stage by Philip Schiller, senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, Bertrand Serlet, senior vice president of Software Engineering and Scott Forstall, vice president of Platform Experience.

The keynote is scheduled for Monday, August 7, 2006, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at San Francisco's Moscone West.

"Throughout WWDC, developers will receive detailed information and best practices on developing Universal applications that take advantage of the performance of Intel-based Macs, including special sessions on performance optimization using Apple software development tools," Apple said.

The five-day event, which runs from August 7 to August 11, will deliver more than 175 technical sessions and labs with new content designed to serve a wide range of Mac developers, including tracks that preview Leopard and dozens of hands-on labs providing opportunities to work developer-to-developer with Apple engineers.

Other activities at Apple's WWDC 2006 include:

presentation sessions led by engineers and experts delivering the technical information needed to take advantage of current technologies in Tiger, and get ready for what's coming in Leopard;hands-on sessions that allow developers to bring their notebooks and get firsthand knowledge of Apple's best practices for leveraging technologies like Spotlight, Core Image, Xgrid, Core Data, Quartz Composer and more;

hands-on, technology specific labs where developers can work one-on-one with Apple engineers to solve problems and answer questions;extra focus on digital media, system administration, game development and scientific computing communities; andspecial events and activities including the opening night's Apple Developer Connection Reception, Apple Design Awards, Stump the Experts and Late Night Labs.

Cost & Registration

The cost of the five-day conference is $1,595 per attendee, with a $300 Early Registration Discount that has been extended through July 7.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Bring it on!

I want Quartz Extreme Turbo.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple on Monday formally announced that CEO Steve Jobs will headline a team of Apple executives that kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month with a keynote preview of Mac OS X "Leopard."

The keynote is scheduled for Monday, August 7, 2006, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at San Francisco's Moscone West.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Monday is the new Tuesday?

I can't remember which day of the week last year's "we're going to Intel" keynote was ... but doesn't Apple usually have a thing for doing stuff on Tuesdays?

Don't tell me, on the Monday they demo Leopard. On the Friday, they release it!

It'd be a smaller shock to the devs than last year's WWDC.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    schmidtyschmidty Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

[B]Apple on Monday formally announced that CEO Steve Jobs will headline a team of Apple executives that kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month

[...]

Since when is August the next month after June?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    wow
  • Reply 6 of 50
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidty

Since when is August the next month after June?

Clearly AppleInsider started celebrating Independence Day a whee bit early this year. Just slow down on the beer boys the cops are out in force this time of year. Oh and I'm just bowled over by this announcement from Apple.... I was SO SURE some Apple lackey was going to do the Leopard demo. This is such the shock.

• Reply 7 of 50
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    News Update: This year at an Apple event, Steve Jobs will be giving a keynote about some new products.

SCOOP!
  • Reply 8 of 50
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

I can't remember which day of the week last year's "we're going to Intel" keynote was ... but doesn't Apple usually have a thing for doing stuff on Tuesdays?

The WWDC keynote last year was also on a Monday - the day that WWDC begins.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    I can't wait to see Leopard - and to get my paws on Version of it...
  • Reply 10 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

News Update: This year at an Apple event, Steve Jobs will be giving a keynote about some new products.

SCOOP!

Who cares what I type, you know what i'm thinking?
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Well, they've always been predicting late-2006 to early-2007. I mean, early December could be the requisite 4 months.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Monday is the new Tuesday?

Apple likes to announce/release new stuff on Tuesday (hardware mostly) because its early in the week to get as much coverage as possible, while still missing those who stray too long on their weekends into monday.

However, this isn't an announcement or anything. Its a conference and keynote presentation, which starts when the show starts.

Quote:

And the next friday they release 10.5.1, the first of many huge bug-fix releases for their OS. Remember, don't upgrade a critical computer until 10.5.3, at the earliest!

Quote:

It'd be a smaller shock to the devs than last year's WWDC.

So you think, until Apple announces their next big breakthrough: Their moving to the Windows API! Everyone, time to rewrite your code AGAIN!

Oh, and remember folks. A keynote at a developers conference does not a stone-cold guarantee make (3GHz, anyone??? Or how about Quartz 2D Extreme?). So don't go flippy over some feature as it might not even show up.

Then again, we should start a pool to see how many new features are added to 10.5 that aren't complete, but are stuck in there to get those feature-lists up to 150 or so. Or how many features have obvious omissions because they were pushed in without really thinking something through (you know, like Dashboard's "What do you mean you want to 'delete' a widget? Why would you want to do that?" feature.)

And I wonder when someone's gonna realize that Apple's broken downloads again in Safari, thus releasing a whole other set of security issues...
  • Reply 13 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is the first time, as far as I can remember, when Jobs has so many exec's on stage with him at the same time in introducing an OS upgrade. It may have happened when 10.0 first came out, but not after.

This could be a bigger upgrade than thought. He might need help with all of the features and technologies. I'm looking at this as a sign that 10.5 might be a breakthrough product in several ways.

I hope that's right, after all we've heard about the possible functionality it might have.

Louzer, except for Quartz Extreme, was there any other major feature that was announced during a dev conf that wasn't activated in the release, either immediately, or shortly after? I don't remember offhand. That's one advantage Apple does have by not announcing the feature set well in advance. They are free to either add to it, or to subtract what isn't working without anyone knowing.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Bring it on!

I want Quartz Extreme Turbo.

What? This is a stupid upgrade.

I'm holding out for Quartz Extreme Turbo Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

There are inevitable events that will occur on all Mac forums sites. People will want Apple to hurry the fuck up with 10.5. Apple will release earlier than they should have.

Yes, because Apple releases their biggest software project to satisfy the needs of a couple of forum guys.

Yeah. That's it.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Better yet. "Available, day one!"

Seriously though, I believe Panther was released 4 1/2 months after Steve demoed it at WWDC2003 so I can see Leopard getting released by March, 2007. By then iLife '07, iWork '07 (with spreadsheet, database), and Rev B MacBooks will be out so I will be ready for a new notebook by then.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Better yet. "Available, day one!"

Seriously though, I believe Panther was released 4 1/2 months after Steve demoed it at WWDC2003 so I can see Leopard getting released by March, 2007. By then iLife '07, iWork '07 (with spreadsheet, database), and Rev B MacBooks will be out so I will be ready for a new notebook by then.

Actually it usually does become available day one, to attendees.

Hopefully Apple won't rush the stupid thing to try to beat Vista to market, as I'd rather have a stable build then a quick build.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Many people just can't seem to wait.

Some being the same people who'll be quickest to whine when things break because of their early adopter impatience. [edit: like what kim kap sol said]

I'm not looking forward to filtering out the inevitable noise increase on Apple/Mac "rumor" forums. It's already starting, e.g. with the nonsense over fake screenshots.

I'll be in no hurry to upgrade to 10.5 until after the fallout period, like with every other major release.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Actually it usually does become available day one, to attendees.

Hopefully Apple won't rush the stupid thing to try to beat Vista to market, as I'd rather have a stable build then a quick build.

Amen to that.

We saw what happeben with 10.4 where they rushed it out so that they could get it out of the way for the dev conf where they intro'd Intel.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Amen to that.

We saw what happeben with 10.4 where they rushed it out so that they could get it out of the way for the dev conf where they intro'd Intel.

There are inevitable events that will occur on all Mac forums sites. People will want Apple to hurry the fuck up with 10.5. Apple will release earlier than they should have. People will complain about fucking up 10.5.

It's inevitable. Almost everyone on this board (and many other boards) is guilty of it.