Intel rolls out 2.33GHz Core Duo chip

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp this week quietly began shipping a new version of its Core Duo microprocessor that runs at a speed of 2.33GHz, according to Daily Tech.

The 65-nanometer chip lands atop the company's line of Core Duo "Yonah" processors, which have found their way into Apple Computer's iMac, Mac mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro line computers.

Designed specifically for high end notebooks and desktop replacement devices, the processor bears the official name of "Core Duo T2700" and will sell for $637 in quantities of 1,000. The previous high-end model, the 2.16GHz Core Duo T2600, was recently reduced to $423 in lots of 1,000.

According to Daily Tech, the new 2.33GHz chip is already shipping at some retail outlets and should start showing up in high-end notebooks very soon.

Apple's 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro notebooks currently sport a top speed of 2.16GHz, via the Core Duo T2600.

Also this week, Intel began discrete shipments of its Core Duo U2500 ultra-low voltage (ULV) CPU. The 1.2GHz Yonah chip is the only low voltage dual-core chip currently offered by the company, sporting a thermal design point (TDP) of 9W.

During normal operation, the $289 chip is said to consume less than 1W.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Double that price and you'll be a lot closer.

Intel part number BX80539T2700
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Apple won't touch this. Merom's top speed is also 2.33 GHz. Apple wants to have a slight MHz boost to go with the Yonah -> Merom transition. Having computers listed as "updated" and "way faster" will not look so hot if the MHz is the same. People are still under the myth, and Apple has to deal with that.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Apple *has* to touch this. They need to realize that the x86 market is so much faster and when upgrades come, they need to be implemented asap.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Apple won't touch this. Merom's top speed is also 2.33 GHz. Apple wants to have a slight MHz boost to go with the Yonah -> Merom transition. Having computers listed as "updated" and "way faster" will not look so hot if the MHz is the same. People are still under the myth, and Apple has to deal with that.

No.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "T2600, was recently reduced to $423"

From what?

Did cost as much as the T2700 now costs, by any luck?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    It will be interesting to watch Apple's response to this. We are about to find out how they will handle future processor upgrades for our lovely Mac's. Finally, some real news about to take place.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Apple don't have to use the 2.33Ghz yonah as a standard processor.

They can use it as a BTO option and keep everybody happy.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    These chips have been announced well ahead of WWDC, I wonder if we'll see the announcement of MacBook Pro updates to utilize the 2.33 chips to widen the gap between the MacBook Pro's and MacBooks.

The U2500 makes me wonder if we'll see the 12" PowerBook replacement as well.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Apple don't have to use the 2.33Ghz yonah as a standard processor.

They can use it as a BTO option and keep everybody happy.

Other than Apple. They woulkd have to add more inventory because it wouldn't be BTO, it's not such a simple thing. They woud have to add another laptop putting 4 choices on the page. They try to keep inventory low. I have no idea how they will use this if they do. They might wait, and throw it in a MacBook at a later date when it's cheapeer.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    I thought these processors were pin compatible. Can't Apple just narrow down their mini page to one design and let everything else (Processors, Ram, CD/DVD/Superdrive) be an option on the Apple store. That way they always have the lowest price Mini being advertised. Everything else is an option to upgrade. No sticker shock because the upgrade to a faster processor is just a puldown menu (add $90 to your total) away.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Other than Apple. They woulkd have to add more inventory because it wouldn't be BTO, it's not such a simple thing. They woud have to add another laptop putting 4 choices on the page. They try to keep inventory low. I have no idea how they will use this if they do. They might wait, and throw it in a MacBook at a later date when it's cheapeer.

I agree about the MacBook, I thought about that possibility already (didn't post it though)

Apple used to have the 2.16Ghz 15"MBP as an BTO option for $300 until they introduced it as a "real" model.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Isn't Merom 64 bit and Yonah 32 bit? Or did I get it wrong (again=) ?

That would make a big enough difference for HD video, image and audio professionals wouldn't it?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

Isn't Merom 64 bit and Yonah 32 bit? Or did I get it wrong (again=) ?

That would make a big enough difference for HD video, image and audio professionals wouldn't it?

Not a big difference yet simply because laptops generally don't allow you to put in more than 4GB of RAM. Once you have 8GB and up you will see some benefits of 64-bit. There is the chance there could be a benefit from extra registers in a 64-bit but that remains to be seen.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Can Apple do what they did with the secret 1.5GHz Mac Mini and release these 2.33 GHz quietly into the market under the previous guise of 2.16GHz once their old stock has run out?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    This doesn't make sense to me. When Merom debuts it will have a 2ghz model that sells for $294. If it(merom) is 20% faster(than Yonah) as Intel predicts then the 2ghz Merom will be equivalent to a 2.4 ghz Yonah. For half the price. I think I can wait a month or two.

Link on Merom prices.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2546
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

Can Apple do what they did with the secret 1.5GHz Mac Mini and release these 2.33 GHz quietly into the market under the previous guise of 2.16GHz once their old stock has run out?

They could, but that doesn't seem likely. The never-announced Mac Mini upgrade resulted in marginally higher costs. (I remember seeing $74 as a price for a low-end G4.) The 2.33ghz Yonah will be much more expensive--if Apple puts that chip in its products, it'll want consumers to know about it.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Double that price and you'll be a lot closer.

Intel part number BX80539T2700

Are you talking about the T2700? It couldn't cost twice that. That would be $1,274. Somethings wrong there.

Or do you mean the low voltage model?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

These chips have been announced well ahead of WWDC, I wonder if we'll see the announcement of MacBook Pro updates to utilize the 2.33 chips to widen the gap between the MacBook Pro's and MacBooks.

The U2500 makes me wonder if we'll see the 12" PowerBook replacement as well.

Aren't these machine hot enough already?

The iMac hasn't benefited from the 2.16 as yet. They should pop it into that. And move the Mini to 1.83 duo on the high end, and 1.67 on the low end.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Not a big difference yet simply because laptops generally don't allow you to put in more than 4GB of RAM. Once you have 8GB and up you will see some benefits of 64-bit. There is the chance there could be a benefit from extra registers in a 64-bit but that remains to be seen.

Windows and Linux are seeing speedups from the wider, additional registers (as well as the other general cleaning up inside). I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't as well. It's not like the PPC's, where we already had those advantages in the G3 and G4's.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    IMHO, 17" will get 2.33 Ghz

and

MacBook high end model get once MacBook Pro goes Merom

In singapore i see 1.83Ghz Old (?) 15.4" stock available and not moving!!!