Microsoft's backlit Ultimate Keyboard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ul...d/default.mspx

I'm NOT digging the obvious laptop feel of the keyboad but the design looks halfway decent. It looks like a new take on ergonomic keyboards.

I'm hoping that Apple redoes their input devices either this year with the Mac Pro or next year. I frankly don't like the feel or looks of Apple's current input devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    i think that is a sweet keyboard, considering I use a laptop keyboard all day I prefer keys with lower heights.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    It looks pretty good to me! It doesn't sound like it for Mac's though...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

i think that is a sweet keyboard, considering I use a laptop keyboard all day I prefer keys with lower heights.

YOU FREAK!

j/k

I'm getting used to my laptop. I actually think it's improving my typing because I have to be more precise. I guess it's like learning guitar on nylon strings and then moving to steel string(I'm not a gee'tar player)

Quote:

It looks pretty good to me! It doesn't sound like it for Mac's though...

I wonder if basic functionality will work with BT Macs. Actually the backlighting and other features will be software related I'm guessing.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I hope it's BT, and I hope the backlighting sensor isn't dependant on software.

I also hope this forces apple to get off their ass and make their own to compliment the new Mac Pro.

Then they can start offering crazy premium bundles with new Cinema Display, Mac Pro, and BT Backlight keyboard+BT Mighy Mouse 2.0(fixed scrolling a clicking).

That would be too cool.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    We have to stop talking about future hardware stuff like backlit keyboards on here now, Microsoft are reading this board and nicking our ideas!!!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    //I also hope this forces apple to get off their ass and make their own to compliment the new Mac Pro.//

is this the new mac pro that hasnt been released yet so apple would hardly have released new hardware for it, like a keyboard.... YET??

so, they might actually be in the/a design stage with it... ie OFF their collective ass, doing what you wish

sorry... the future hardware section does my head in sometimes, remember the adage "dont wish your life away"

ps i think that M$ keyboard looks like crap.. how it feels of course, is a different matter, but with my experiance of microsoft keys, it will feel like crap as well.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Dear god that is a gorgeous keyboard. Buying when I get my Mac Pro.

Edit: gah, why don't they make a damned wired one? And do I have to buy the fucking mouse with it?

And I'm not digging the little Windows Vista logo, but no doubt I can rip it out and put something more appealing there.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Looks good. Maybe they'll produce a Mac version as well? >>nudge to Apple<<.

Here's the crunch...

How much?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't like it. OK the form factor is nice but you can fit a full numpad on there if you just make the keys a bit smaller. Probably no USB ports either (I have USB headphones).

Plus I don't like those curvy keyboards. I don't know how people can type with them. I've tried them in a store and I just couldn't use them.

I'd prefer Apple to make a sleek aluminium keyboard almost exactly like the 12" powerbook keyboard but with slightly smaller keys and a full numpad to retain a small form factor.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Microsoft.

the theft never ends©

• Reply 11 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

We have to stop talking about future hardware stuff like backlit keyboards on here now, Microsoft are reading this board and nicking our ideas!!!

No kidding. I heard this idea in here a few months ago, and I was all for it. Apple needs to answer with a new backlit pro keyboard, and add some OS, and app specific features this time.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Looks like Microsoft's investment in stealth technology has paid off.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    halo1982halo1982 Posts: 42member
    I like the keyboard but must give a thumbs down due to no num-pad and the fact that the backlight most likely only works in XP or Vista (does your MBP backlight work on XP...nope...). I really hope Apple releases a backlit desktop keyboard...I use a Pro keyboard all day/night when I have my MBP "docked" and would love a backlight on it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I hope it's BT

The video at MS's site shows what appears to be a Bluetooth logo underneath the mouse when it moves into the opening at the top of the keyboard.

Steve
  • Reply 15 of 15
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

No kidding. I heard this idea in here a few months ago, and I was all for it. Apple needs to answer with a new backlit pro keyboard, and add some OS, and app specific features this time.

My post 05-25-2006

I'd like a USB2 keyboard with backlighting.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=1

DHagan4755's thread 06-04-2006

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=63981