Timrwarner/Earthlink customers using Mail for Gmail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been trying to download messages via Mail from my Gmail account for 2 days. Each time I connect, the account times out trying to fetch messages from a newsgroup. I am able to send messages, though.

I did a search for proper set-up of Gmail accounts for Mail. The apple support boards say: "In some cases, the ISP will restrict the use of any third party SMTP"

Since mail group messages are relayed from a server, I assume this adds a degree of complexity in the message download. In other words, they're already 2nd party messages. How can a system on the lookout for spam know that these are legit?

I'm sure there's a work around for that, or no one would be able to get mail group email. But then add Gmail as another layer, and I'm wondering if that becomes a bottleneck.

Except that the problem usually is in sending relayed messages, not receiving. So what gives? Could it have something to do with my ISP being TimeWarner/Earthlink. Earthlink was one of the 1st companies to get tough on spam. TW is so big they don't even have Apple-friendly systems (that's why I went for Earthlink, that and the fact that it's cheaper).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Okay, there are a ton of variables to this so it may be a matter of trial and error.

You need to be to authenticated smtp to get the outgoing mails to go.

You may also have to use a different port number, in case your cable ISP is blocking the standard ports.

I don't know Gmail, but you're going to have to try to find info on authenticated relaying, perhaps even encrypted relaying.

Not trying to be mean, but you need to do this research because you'll need it again and again as you change computers or add accounts.

Tell me what you find and what you try on these ideas and we'll go from there.

Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    You need to be to authenticated smtp to get the outgoing mails to go.

You may also have to use a different port number, in case your cable ISP is blocking the standard ports.

I don't know Gmail, but you're going to have to try to find info on authenticated relaying, perhaps even encrypted relaying.

Not trying to be mean, but you need to do this research because you'll need it again and again as you change computers or add accounts.

Jesus, I'm clueless to your language. I have a friend who might be able to help. Let me ask him, and post back.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    OK :-)