Apple adds new MacBook retail configurations

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer recently added two new retail configurations to its MacBook line of consumer notebooks, both of which are now available at most of the company's stores, AppleInsider has learned.

A new 2.0GHz white MacBook configuration packs an additional 512MB of RAM and 20GB of extra hard disk space, for a total of 1GB of RAM (via two 512MB SODIMMs) and 80GB of storage.

The new model retails for $1449, or $150 more than the 2.0GHz white MacBook with 512MB of RAM and a 60GB hard disk. Both configurations included Apple's SuperDrive optical disc drive.

Meanwhile, Apple has also introduced a new configuration of its black 2.0GHz MacBook, dubbed the "MacBook Ultimate."

The $1599 model includes 1GB of RAM (also via two 512MB SODIMMs), but otherwise is identical to the company's $1499 MacBook, which includes 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard disk and SuperDrive.

The two new configurations expand Apple's MacBook offerings to five retail configurations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    afishafish Posts: 3member
    Is it just me, or is the new 2.0GHz white model a ripoff? Looking at the online Apple store custom configuration page, upgrading to 1GB RAM (+$100) and an 80GB hard drive (+$50) comes to less than the $200 price hike. I guess it's cool that more of the custom configurations will be available in-store, but I don't think $50 is worth the convenience of retail purchase. I'll just wait the 1-2 business days for shipping, thank you very much.

The Ultimate MacBook pricing is just fine though. If I were in the market for that, I would indeed strongly consider going through retail.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by afish

The Ultimate MacBook pricing is just fine though. If I were in the market for that, I would indeed strongly consider going through retail.

Umm... You do realize that's the same specs as the white for 100 more than what you just called "a ripoff"??

I know this has been beaten to death on other threads already, but your posting just struck me as weirdly incongruous.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

The Ultimate MacBook pricing is just fine though.

Doesn't the Ultimate have the same specs as the $50-cheaper model you said was too expensive?

In any case, I think we can safely say that Apple has discovered they CAN charge more for a color choice!

Their pricing on the top models is odd. The bottom MacBook is the best buy in my book. And the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    westwest Posts: 34member
    Actually they got the wrong prices for them. The White Macbook that's usually 1299 that now has 1GB of ram and an 80GB hard drive is not 1499, its 1449. The got the price right on the black one. I agree, though, $150 extra for black is pretty strange, but people are buying it.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the BlackBook is a good deal in general. I meant that, compared to the existing black model, paying $100 for a 1GB RAM model is the same as spending $100 at the online store, so this new retail store model is priced in-line with the existing upgrades. The white model, on the other hand, added $50 for no reason at all.

But if the price was listed incorrectly, then all this news report really means is that they carry some pre-upgraded models of MacBook at the brick-and-mortar stores so they're more likely to sell you the computer you want, instead of forcing you to go online to get it to your proper specifications. No special deals, and no ripoff either.

And for the record, I am perfectly fine with them charging more for the black models. I prefer the matte black paint to the clear white for practical reasons in addition to aesthetic appeal. As a consumer in a capitalist market, you have the option to not buy them.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by afish

Is it just me, or is the new 2.0GHz white model a ripoff? Looking at the online Apple store custom configuration page, upgrading to 1GB RAM (+$100) and an 80GB hard drive (+$50) comes to less than the $200 price hike. I guess it's cool that more of the custom configurations will be available in-store, but I don't think $50 is worth the convenience of retail purchase. I'll just wait the 1-2 business days for shipping, thank you very much.

Price corrected. We were given the wrong price by an Apple rep. After reading the posts, I doubled checked. The white MacBook with more RAM and HD space is indeed $1449. It's also called an Ultimate.

Best,

K
  • Reply 7 of 31
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Price corrected. We were given the wrong price by an Apple rep. After reading the posts, I doubled checked. The white MacBook with more RAM and HD space is indeed $1449. It's also called an Ultimate.

Best,

K

So is this "Blind Date" or is that something else?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Best,

K

I don't see them. I still see only 3 options? When or will these be available in its online stores?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    These are just pre-configured bundles of custom configurations. All you need to do is tweak the RAM and hard drive size on the model of your choice, the price will be identical.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    i just got a new black macbook. but im not to upset about these new offerings as i have a brand new WD 250 gig external hdd and im gonna max out my ram from crucial!
  • Reply 11 of 31
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Smart move by Apple as it allows Apple retail to capitalize on sales and they don't have to tell customers to order the system online.

Apple probably decided to do this based on customer buying trends. This will allow Apple to sell more MacBooks as more people will be leaving the stores with MacBooks in hand.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I don't see them. I still see only 3 options? When or will these be available in its online stores?

They are retail configurations. There is no need for them on the online store because orders through the Apple online store can be configured in the same fashion, for the same prices as the new retail configs. Simply use the drop down menus at the Apple online store to add more RAM and Hard Disk space.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 14 of 31
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The more configurations in the stores the better. They must have been getting calls for them, or perhaps those have been selling well from their site.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The one upgrade that would have been nice is a superdrive in the lower end model. Really there's very little excuse not to have a dvd burner in this day and age.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

The one upgrade that would have been nice is a superdrive in the lower end model. Really there's very little excuse not to have a dvd burner in this day and age.

They should do that. It's not as though the low end model is some cheap loss leader they want to discourage.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Just buy the 1299 one and spend the extra $200 on 2GB RAM and a 100 GB hdd...then grab a external enclosure for the stock HDD for like $50... so ~$1550 gets you 2 gigs of ram and 100GB with you at all times and an extra 60 on the desk at home (good for backups too).
  • Reply 19 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The more configurations in the stores the better. They must have been getting calls for them, or perhaps those have been selling well from their site.

It is all about RAM...the geniuses have probably been upping every MB going out the door to 1GB of ram, saves them time...
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It is all about RAM...the geniuses have probably been upping every MB going out the door to 1GB of ram, saves them time...

That take time. Hopefully these will come packaged that way.