Access Database for Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there an app out there that will let you view/edit/create Access Databases? If so where can I find it, i've searched VersionTracker with no luck so far. Thanks all...

Preferrably for OS X.

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: cyko95 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Short of running Access itself in VPC, I can't think of a way.

I don't think too many people want another way to create Access databases. One way is bad enough.

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    I agree with that completely, but the problem is I have to run the database for inventory control as well as the customer ordering database, and this would be soooooo much better on my iBook since it goes with me EVERYWHERE and it's so much more reliable. =) I guess i'll just have to put VPC back on. =(
  • Reply 3 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I don't suppose there's any possible way you could run it in something other than Access? I certainly wouldn't trust something as critical as inventory to that hack.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Not unless you know of anything that I could use that's free and runs cross platform PC - Mac. I work for a Recording Studio, and my iBook is the only Mac here...for now. The other systems are all PC. I call the who & what's for everything computer related but until we get the budget to revamp them all to Macs, I gotta use what's available. Since I had previous Access DB experience, I just threw a DB together for that stuff. Right now were not real worried about security due to the fact that no crucial info is housed in the DB's. It's mainly for inventory control.

BTW, does VPC's memory allocation for the OS your running in it only absorb that memory while VPC is running? Meaning, does it act like an app, when closed it free's it up again. Stupid question, but pertanent. Thanks a mil.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    [quote]Originally posted by cyko95:

<strong>BTW, does VPC's memory allocation for the OS your running in it only absorb that memory while VPC is running? Meaning, does it act like an app, when closed it free's it up again. Stupid question, but pertanent. Thanks a mil.</strong><hr></blockquote>

in one word: Yes.

PS: There are no stupid questions, only inappropriate answers from time to time.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    The only solution I've ever seen o your dilemma is to create your own web-based front end and run the Access Database through a web server via ODBC connections. Probably doesn't help you though...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I'd install MySQL (a free database program) and then create a web interface for it. Of course, if you don't know how to do that, you'd probably have to hire somebody who does know how. (such as me)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    1bgmnk1bgmnk Posts: 26member
    Yeah MySql!!! It's a lot easier to manage, link to html, or flash, through PHP (or ASP), it's free, fast, you can write your own sql commands and it's not Microsoft. Where could you go wrong!! I used to develop in access, and picked up MySql in an hour.

k

edit: hit submit too soon, sorry

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: 1bgmnk ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Is mySQL free for Windows as well?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    1bgmnk1bgmnk Posts: 26member
    it's free period. no matter what platform.

k