Quark Xpress 5.0 upgrade $149.50

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
From today's Macintouch:

[10:05 ET]Â* Readers say that Quark is doing some discounting in an attempt to address slow sales:

[Ed Sikorski] Just received this (excerpt) email from Quark about price drop:

"...We understand the issues that you're facing today. More than ever, we appreciate your loyalty and support for Quark (TM) products, so we're extending an unprecedented offer to you. For a limited time only, take 50 percent off your purchase of QuarkXPress 5.0 - no matter whether you're purchasing an upgrade or a full product. Through this special offer, the QuarkXPress 5.0 upgrade is just $149.50 (from version 4.x), or $199.50 (from version 3.x). The price for full product is just $449.50 .

This offer is only available when you place your order online through the QuarkStore. To order your upgrade or full product, visit the QuarkStore at <a href="https://www.quarkstore.com/."; target="_blank">https://www.quarkstore.com/.</a>; Please have your serial number ready and enter key code 7XC7GDG2J when prompted. Offer expires July 31, 2002. This offer is limited to the purchase of one QuarkXPress 5.0 upgrade or one QuarkXPress 5.0 full product per QuarkStore order..."

My guess is, they aren't getting the sales. Two months ago, I had received a "cold call" from a Quark rep that offered special for 4.1 users to upgrade to 5.0. I declined as 5.0 has made QuarkXpress more "web-centric" than a true DTP. Many of my clients feel that Quark is not what they need if designing for the web (Dreamweaver, BBedit, sure...but not Quark) and has been over-priced ($800) for years. They can still use 3.31 or 4.1 and don't see need for upgrading to a cumbersome app that they under-utilize.

[Gary Peterson] This is very true. We are a national specialty printer and receive many jobs from Quark users every day. Last week was the first time we have ever received a file in Quark 5.0. I broke down and ordered one copy of 5.0 to process the job. After having a delay in getting a validation code from Quark to install the program, we just reset it in 4.1. I don't plan to upgrade our other 12 copies of 4.1 for quite some time..

For those of you who want to upgrade....

MSKR

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    No surprise at all

No useful new feature

Thousands of bugs

Not OS X native

Ultra expensive upgrade price

They deserve to sell poorly
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    It's good to see confirmation of what many of us had guessed -- that Quark is fading, and a stubborn, arrogant company is getting a bit of a smackdown from the marketplace.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Good. They're feeling the pinch. They deserve it. Bastards.