Features questions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
1) Can I set my iMac G5 (Mac OSX 10.3.9) to start when I press one or more keys on my keyboard instead of the start buton behind the computer? (like it can be set on the PC)

2) Is there some way to see the items that have been used on my computer? Like a history. I mean something more advanced, not just that "Recent items" option in the apple menu. If this option doesn't exist is there any application that does this?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

1) Can I set my iMac G5 (Mac OSX 10.3.9) to start when I press one or more keys on my keyboard instead of the start buton behind the computer? (like it can be set on the PC)

No. You could set it on stand-by instead of shutting it down, which arguably is preferably anyway, and then pressing any key will wake it up. However, booting it up by pressing a key is not possible, unless you have a USB keyboard with a power button.

Quote:

2) Is there some way to see the items that have been used on my computer? Like a history. I mean something more advanced, not just that "Recent items" option in the apple menu. If this option doesn't exist is there any application that does this?

I'm not sure if Panther (10.3) allows this, but in Tiger (10.4), you can create a search in Finder to accomplish this. Find (Cmd-F), then "Last Opened -> Today" (or, say, "This weeek"), and that's it. In Tiger, you can also save the query as a smart folder, which, whenever opened, will re-search and update automatically.

Again, I'm not sure to what extent this is possible in Panther; it's been too long.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

Why are you shutting your computer off?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

Why are you shutting your computer off?

Uhmm, for the same reason tons of people do this:

because they don't like machines on standby when they are not closeby the machine? And also to save power (I know, not much, but still..)

The family of a guy in my high school had thousands of dollars in smoke and water damages (and nearly their entire house burned down with them in it) because their TV in standby mode caught on fire in the middle of the night.

Having seen the damage (and the very real possibility of them dying) I never leave any device on standby unless it's absolutely necessary......
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

And also to save power (I know, not much, but still..)

You'd be surprised?