idea for new mac mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i was looking at the mockups at http://www.apple-discounts.com/contest/gallery1.html and there are some good ideas.

i espectially thought the mac mini was a good one. built all into the keyboard. i think its a really good idea, im not sure about heat/cost, but does anyone think apple would do something like this in the future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

i was looking at the mockups at http://www.apple-discounts.com/contest/gallery1.html and there are some good ideas.

i espectially thought the mac mini was a good one. built all into the keyboard. i think its a really good idea, im not sure about heat/cost, but does anyone think apple would do something like this in the future?

you obviously dont get the point of the mini...it is first and formost a cheap mac that folks like me can toss on a KVM and thusly have OSX (legitimatly) and secondly, a hack-kneed media center wannabe.

The decapatated powerbook that you have posted could better be called the Commedore 256
  • Reply 2 of 13
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Plus that thing looks too thin.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Heck the computer, I wish someone would sell a keyboard that look like that.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

you obviously dont get the point of the mini...it is first and formost a cheap mac that folks like me can toss on a KVM and thusly have OSX (legitimatly) and secondly, a hack-kneed media center wannabe.

The decapatated powerbook that you have posted could better be called the Commedore 256

That's a bit harsh. All you need to do is hook up a monitor and viola a computer. Not bad if you ask me.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Beautiful mockup, but as others have said, it would never be made, because the built in keyboard is expensive and a service nightmare, and I doubt that Apple will take the time and expense to overhaul the low-end mini for a while unless they decide to do the sensible thing and allow for a desktop HD.

David
  • Reply 6 of 13
    badllamabadllama Posts: 11member
    that is really awesome, I like the idea a lot!

Imagine if it still had the specs of the MBookPro and half the cost! I'd probaby get one!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    that's an interesting concept but it'd lead to way too many wires visibly wandering about on the desktop. not an elegant solution when you actually attach stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Actually, I think it is a great concept. I'm not sure where all the negative comments are coming from. I mean, isn't this basically a MacBookPro, without the display? Is the MBP a service nightmare? Too thin? At least with this design, you already have your keyboard, unlike the Mac mini.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

that's an interesting concept but it'd lead to way too many wires visibly wandering about on the desktop. not an elegant solution when you actually attach stuff.

Not if they're bluetooth. It's possible that you would only need one cable to connect the monitor to the machine and rest could be wireless.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I like it because of the fact that it would have much better sound output than the Mini. The keyboard would be far better than the Apple Pro keyboard. Ports are easier to access as well as the power button.

It might be kinda heavy for a keyboard though and it won't have a numpad. It would be clumsy having a DVI/VGA adaptor hanging out the back of it too. Why do we still have such huge cables for transmitting video these days?

If it was on the market though, I'd probably get one. As jpennington said, I just wish they'd make a keyboard like that. I don't know why they don't build speakers into keyboards anyway - they do with displays.

They could also make it so that you can access the internals by lifting up the keyboard. None of this daft putty knife fiasco.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

Oh some obscure PC company made something like that when the Mini-ITX boards where released. Only it looked really sh*t and over heated like a b*stard!!

I'm sure if Apple did do it, it would 100% better.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Heat is what comes into mind. Why place the computer in the keyboard, that's one of the pains in the ass about laptops as well - heat coming to your hands from keyboard. It's creative, i'll give you that, but essentially the current mini is a better consept. If you want to integrate the computer to some external component it should be no other than the monitor, and they've already done that for quite some time.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    follows the trend of the "invisible" computer...

but...

wires.

would be nice, if you sell it with a "blackbox", ducktaped behind the monitor, which is connected to monitor, internet, printer, scanner...

and I'm very sure, batteries run empty in <20minutes....