new intel chip in macbook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone though that the new intel core 2 duo chip will be put in the Macbooks. And if so, when? I have a feeling it will go into the MBP before the end of this year, but I'm not sure about the Macbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by runner_85

I was wondering if anyone though that the new intel core 2 duo chip will be put in the Macbooks. And if so, when? I have a feeling it will go into the MBP before the end of this year, but I'm not sure about the Macbook.

runner_85 not so "fast" ok excuse the pun. Welcome to AI where all your Mac dreams come true!

Core 2 is the architecture behind Conroe/Woodcrest and Merom. So you're probably going to see the portable Core 2 product Merom in a MBP by years end and the MB by end of 2007. That's my guesstimate.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Pricewise, they could put the Merom in it just as well straight away when it is released. And I suppose they will, at the earliest convenient time that is. Apple might sell the outdated Yonah for a while, but it shouldn't be more than 1-2 months at most after Merom is introduced that Apple will place it in the MacBook. The difference between MB and MBP will be that MBP will be getting higher clocked ones, and also of course the dedicated graphics.

Thus my guess is that all Apple computers will have Core 2 processors by end of October. (Perhaps not the mini).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Acidapples

Why? Merom is only 20% faster than Yonah at same clock speed. Those "outdated" yonahs will still be quite respectable performance wise long into 2007. Hopefully Apple will be able to push prices on Macbooks and Minis down as Yonah chip prices come down. I ain't holding my breath but it's a nice idea.