Capturing video from Sony DCR-HC96 on intel iMac?!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a 2 month old intel iMac and I just got a Sony DCR-HC96. What is the video capturing software on my imac? The manual says that I should use the video capture software that comes with mac OSX (A CD w/ software is provided for Windows, though). A little help would be appreciated greatly!

~~Quentin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quentin

I have a 2 month old intel iMac and I just got a Sony DCR-HC96. What is the video capturing software on my imac? The manual says that I should use the video capture software that comes with mac OSX (A CD w/ software is provided for Windows, though). A little help would be appreciated greatly!

~~Quentin

iMovie
  • Reply 2 of 6
    quentinquentin Posts: 13member
    Yeah, I figured it out about 10 minutes after posting this. Once I opened imovie and created a new project, the computer found the camera and I could do everything I needed right there. It is slightly embarrassing that it was that easy and it took me that long to figure it out. I was certain that I needed to install some software or something. Figures that it would be ridiculously simple.

~~Quentin
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Welcome to the World Of Mac?.

Think "what is the most obvious way of doing something?"... and it usually is.

Simple.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    raroraro Posts: 1member
    I just bought a hc96 and laready have a macbook pro

Was wondering if it was possible to use the camera through usb with my mac

And more how should i do it ?

Or do i need to buy a iLink(firewire) cable ?

gr

R
  • Reply 5 of 6
    For video, you will have to get a Firewire cable. The USB port should work for importing still images taken as such into iPhoto, though.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raro View Post

I just bought a hc96 and laready have a macbook pro

Was wondering if it was possible to use the camera through usb with my mac

And more how should i do it ?

Or do i need to buy a iLink(firewire) cable ?

Unfortunately, no video camera seems to include a firewire cable even it's the only way for them to transfer video. I don't see how it's so difficult to include one when the two I've bought include a USB cable.

The biggest limitation is that most computers with a firewire port either have the 4 pin or 6 pin jack, but for a generally expensive device, I think an extra cost of $10 for including two cables would be preferable over the cost of having to make a special trip get one or the delay in ordering one.