Apple pulls educational iMac from online store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Wednesday pulled the new $899 educational iMac from its educational online store without giving reason.

Announced last week as a replacement for the company's eMac line of computers, the new all-in-one desktop sports a 17-inch display and 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor.

When contacted by AppleInsider, sales representatives for the Mac maker said the computer's placement on educational store for the past week was "a mistake" and that the model "was only meant to be available to educational institutions."

But several other correspondents who contacted the company were given a variety of other explanations for computer's disappearance. One was told the new model "wasn't selling well" and therefore was removed.

However, informed speculation points to the contrary. At just $899, the educational iMac sells for $400 less than its similar, but more fully equipped retail counterpart.

It's believed that student interest in the new Mac may have been so strong that orders had begun to cut into sales of Apple's higher priced, higher margin iMac retail models.

In its announcement last week, Apple clearly stated that the "17-inch iMac for education" was available "immediately for education customers through the Apple Store for Education."

The $899 iMac remains available for purchase through Apple's online store for educational institutions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It may well be that too many people realized that the cheaper version took care of their needs very well - hurting the normal consumer ranges.

It brings into focus that not everyone wants or needs the fastest, most powerful computer available. For these customers the education version is a great form factor and a great buy. Hopefully Apple will place it back on the site when they have delivered the bulk of their direct education orders - just like they did with the eMac.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

It may well be that too many people realized that the cheaper version took care of their needs very well - hurting the normal consumer ranges.

It brings into focus that not everyone wants or needs the fastest, most powerful computer available. For these customers the education version is a great form factor and a great buy. Hopefully Apple will place it back on the site when they have delivered the bulk of their direct education orders - just like they did with the eMac.

Cost is the most important factor to the masses.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    My guess is that Apple started to get bulk institutional orders they could barely fill--so they had to stop offering to individuals rather than turn down or delay the big orders. Which wouldn't have to mean the model was outselling other iMacs, merely that it was selling enough to interfere with the big orders.

After all, many of those individuals will "settle" for some other Mac. But an institution might not.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    coxnvoxcoxnvox Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

My guess is that Apple started to get bulk institutional orders they could barely fill--so they had to stop offering to individuals rather than turn down or delay the big orders. Which wouldn't have to mean the model was outselling other iMacs, merely that it was selling enough to interfere with the big orders.

After all, many of those individuals will "settle" for some other Mac. But an institution might not.

Methinks this sounds likely...
  • Reply 5 of 33
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    I'm grooving on the use of the phrase "informed speculation" in this story.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    jt2110jt2110 Posts: 1member
    In the U.K. where Apple also started offering the lower spec educational config. the product is still availible to individuals. Obviously, the customer base is a lot smaller here. This leads me to suspect that as previously suggested the edu. config. was cutting into the sales of the other ones.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Cost is the most important factor to the masses.

Exactly. Why else would anyone really want to buy a Dell?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes I would imagine Apple would want to sell in large volume to institutions first. After those large orders are filled then sell to individuals.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    There's also the whispered quality control issues. I'm guessing the model will be back online shortly, say a week or two.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

There's also the whispered quality control issues. I'm guessing the model will be back online shortly, say a week or two.

That was my reaction to the headline too. But if the UK Edu Store story is right, it sounds more likely that Apple got a huge response from institutions in America and is suspending sales to students until these are filled. Easy money, once you've got them shipped before the big buyers switch to something else!

I wonder though if anyone in Apple will learn the moral of this story:

"A lower spec Mac with a tasty price tag will sell like hot cakes."

Somehow, I think any such urge will be Steved. The same old story.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Could it be there is pent up demand for sub $1000 macs? Not minis without a monitor and keyboard but a complete mac system for less than 1k.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Now if we could only get a black sub $1000 macbook...

I'd get that
  • Reply 13 of 33
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    "Cost is the most important factor to the masses." (Solsun)

Cost is critical for many people. It isn't easy to come up with $1,000 for a new computer if you have average income and average expenses - especially if you have kids!

In looking at the education iMac, however, my thinking is that it has more than enough horsepower for an average user. Your "average" consumer will not be into the apps that require quad processors - they'll be into email, surfing the internet, iPhoto (maybe Photoshop Elements) etc. In this environment the lower spec iMac would thrive. (It already kicks my 1.5 PB to there & back and I use the PB as my business computer - 18 windows open on it right now.)
  • Reply 14 of 33
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Could it be there is pent up demand for sub $1000 macs? Not minis without a monitor and keyboard but a complete mac system for less than 1k.

:word: that is what i am waiting for
  • Reply 15 of 33
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    if they didn't want college students to buy it, and they see there's demand, why don't they just sell the model to students for $999.

Their margins would be the same as those with the regular iMac, and regular people (non-students) wouldn't see the slightly inferior eiMac (and wouldn't need to, since they aren't penny crunching college students)
  • Reply 16 of 33
    it is gone for the Australian store as well
  • Reply 17 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Yes I would imagine Apple would want to sell in large volume to institutions first. After those large orders are filled then sell to individuals.

I hope that is true.

As with the original eMac, I hope Apple expands its consumer product lines and realizes that it would do well to increase (or intitiate) a sub $1000 AIO market that is obviously there. Demand is like a little voice in the CEO's ear that says, "Make more of these." And if it means a 1% or 2% drop in margin, tough, that's what the big boys do. It's not like Apple is doing alot with its cash reserves now.

What they would lose in margin they would make up in quantity if Apple truly is going to increase market share like Jobs claimed to be his goal.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    In Canada at no point in time since it's release was this imac available to education customers, just insitutions.

My question is do the people who ordered already still get their machines?
  • Reply 19 of 33
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    The cheap iMac isn't available to individuals in the UK now either. Was it ever? I don't keep track of the edu store since it's cheaper to buy it through the business store and claim the VAT back for me. I couldn't do that if I bought it from the edu store.

Base model is the same 17inch model priced at £703+VAT as compared to £748+VAT for non-educational buyers.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

My question is do the people who ordered already still get their machines?

Yes.