The new MS Office 11.2.5 Update that came out today

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My computer installed a new office update that came out today.

I can't believe it but the Mac team at MS has been on the ball lately. My MacBook Pro opens and runs MS Office faster than my G5 1.8 GHz iMac.

I hope they are close to releasing a freekn UB so we can get really fast with it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

My computer installed a new office update that came out today.

It came out yesterday (11 July 2006).

Quote:

I can't believe it but the Mac team at MS has been on the ball lately. My MacBook Pro opens and runs MS Office faster than my G5 1.8 GHz iMac.

Your praise is misplaced. That Office runs so well on your Intel-based Mac is because Rosetta does such a great job. Rosetta is the handiwork of the good people at Transitive Software and Apple Computer.

As for the rapidity of the update, this is strictly a security update. Although it is not clear how the vulnerability could adversely affect a Mac, Microsoft's Mac applications were included in a set of across-the-board updates which included all versions of Windows going back to Windows Me, all MacOS X versions and all recent Windows versions of Office, plus other Microsoft titles. The comprehensive nature of the security update indicates very serious problems in the affected titles.

Quote:

I hope they are close to releasing a freekn UB so we can get really fast with it.

Office 2004 is PPC and will never be updated to UB. After it releases Office 2007 (for Windows) sometime in 2007 (we hope), Microsoft will release conversion filters for Office 2004 to handle Office 2007's new file formats. The most optimistic estimate puts the next MacOS X version of Office on the shelves sometime in 2008. Office 2008 will be the first UB version of the Microsoft productivity suite.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Rosetta is not the work of Transitive and Apple; it's the work of Transitive that Apple licensed and included in 10.4 - x86.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Rosetta is not the work of Transitive and Apple; it's the work of Transitive that Apple licensed and included in 10.4 - x86.

Well, in simple terms, Transitive did the engine, Apple did the wrapper or "glue" or whatever you wanna call it.

Transitive QuickTransit by itself wouldn't be enough.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:

The most optimistic estimate puts the next MacOS X version of Office on the shelves sometime in 2008. Office 2008 will be the first UB version of the Microsoft productivity suite.

Not so fast there..

1. A microsoft representative has (somewhere, can't find the link), said that Office will be released in the same schedule as the previous versions: 98, 2001, 2004.

2. Office v. X was an interim patch, released when Apple migrated to OS X.

3. Other info has also pointed to the next release coupled to the release of Office 2007 on Windows, slated to come out just before 2007.

These indices point to a UB release of MS Office in the early 2007.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Token

Not so fast there..

1. A microsoft representative has (somewhere, can't find the link), said that Office will be released in the same schedule as the previous versions: 98, 2001, 2004.

I don't believe that anyone who read Microsoft PR flack Tammy Hovey's July 1 email to Macintouch.com would agree with you.

Quote:

2. Office v. X was an interim patch, released when Apple migrated to OS X.

Where did you come up with that? Have you ever even seen an installation of Office v.X? a screenshot?

Quote:

3. Other info has also pointed to the next release coupled to the release of Office 2007 on Windows, slated to come out just before 2007.

You really are not keeping up, are you? Office 2007 has been delayed until 2007, at least. Read more about it here.

Quote:

These indices point to a UB release of MS Office in the early 2007.

The point has been made.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Office 2007 has been delayed until 2007, at least. Read more about it here.

To quote from that link: "Based on internal testing and the beta 2 feedback around product performance, we are revising our development schedule to deliver the 2007 system release by the end of year 2006.:" Aka, the delay was until the end of 2006!

Office v. X was a very real product.See?

Quote:

I don't believe that anyone who read Microsoft PR flack Tammy Hovey's July 1 email to Macintouch.com would agree with you.

I concur that that this may mean that they won't change the native file format in the next major version of Office. Thats not the same as UB, but it would of course make more sense to go UB and XML in the same revision.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

To quote from that link: "Based on internal testing and the beta 2 feedback around product performance, we are revising our development schedule to deliver the 2007 system release by the end of year 2006.:" Aka, the delay was until the end of 2006!

That is a most charitable reading of the paragraph. Why didn't you include the complete sentence?

Quote:

Office v. X was a very real product.See?

As an Office v.X user, I am perfectly aware that it is a real product. The point was that anyone who has ever seen it knows that it is not a patch.

Quote:

I concur that that this may mean that they won't change the native file format in the next major version of Office. Thats not the same as UB, but it would of course make more sense to go UB and XML in the same revision.

This is not anything that you need to deduce, ruminate over, or contemplate. Microsoft has been very clear. Office 2004 will not be ported to a UB codebase. The next version of Office will be.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Even the unquoted part of that paragraph suggests a general release in early 2007, just like I said originally. Lets agree that Office for Mac won't be released simultaniously with the Windows version, but a whole year later seems a bit long to wait, even for an optimistic estimate?

My other point wasn't that Office v. X was a bad 'patch'. I used v.X myself and it was miles better than Office 98. Maybe I was using a harsh word there, and so am withdrawing it for the record. I was merely suggesting a reason why v.X broke that nice 3 year schedule.

Lets wait and see what really happens, no?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I don't read it that way. All Tammy says is that the MBU will support the new file formats. She does not say that the the two releases (Windows Office 2007 and Mac Office 2007) will be in sync. Nor does she say if .DOCX will be supported in the original MacOffice release or through an update. Who knows, if WinOffice is closely tied to VISTA, maybe MacOffice will be the first officially released with .DOCX.

Remember, during the '90s, WinOffice and MacOffice releases alternated between years. First one would be released and then a year latter the other would be released. With each release getting a new set of features that the other platform would have to wait on. I think that MacOffice is on its own schedule and will be released when MS gets done porting it to XCode. Now if you have a better source on your 2008 date please present it.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by aresee

I don't read it that way. All Tammy says is that the MBU will support the new file formats. She does not say that the the two releases (Windows Office 2007 and Mac Office 2007) will be in sync. ...

Before jumping in and criticizing a post, make sure that you understand it. It would help if you read the entire thread. On one of my July 12 posts in this thread, I referred to the next version of Office:mac as Office 2008. The next version of Office:win as Office 2007. Most people would not expect Office 2007 and Office 2008 to be in sync.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Before jumping in and criticizing a post, make sure that you understand it. It would help if you read the entire thread. On one of my July 12 posts in this thread, I referred to the next version of Office:mac as Office 2008. .

That's the part I am asking for clarification on. Where are you getting this information about Office 2008 from? As far as I know, MS has not announced any schedule. The impression that I have is that Office will be Universal sooner than latter. Maybe in the first half of 2007. So if I missed something I wanted to check on it.

As far as reading the thread - I did. I did not, and still do not, understand your leap from the MacInTouch thread about .DOCX availability to MS not releasing a UB Office until 2008.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

That's the part I am asking for clarification on. Where are you getting this information about Office 2008 from? As far as I know, MS has not announced any schedule. The impression that I have is that Office will be Universal sooner than latter. Maybe in the first half of 2007. So if I missed something I wanted to check on it.

aresee, aresee, aresee,

This is informed speculation. Microsoft usually releases its Mac version of Office a year after it releases its Windows version. Here are the four most recent examples:

Office 97 [12/1996], Windows--Office 98 [03/1998], Macintosh

Office 2000 [01/1999], Windows--Office 2001 [10/2000], Macintosh

Office XP [03/2001], Windows--Office v.X [11/2001], Macintosh

Office 2003 [11/2003], Windows--Office 2004 [05/2004], Macintosh

In no instance was did the Mac version follow the Windows version of Office by less than six months. You can read more here.

As for your impression that the next version of Office:mac is coming sooner than later, I would be very interested to learn where that comes from. Note that next version of Office:mac is not even on the linked site's radar. Quite frankly, porting Office:mac to UB may be a daunting task. Office v.X and Office 2004 are Carbon rather than Cocoa.

Quote:

As far as reading the thread - I did. I did not, and still do not, understand your leap from the MacInTouch thread about .DOCX availability to MS not releasing a UB Office until 2008.

aresee, put everything together. Consider these points:

Except for forums like this one, there is no discussion of the next version of Office:mac--none!.

Microsoft is having trouble getting the next version of Office:win out the door.

Not since 1994 has Microsoft released its Mac and Windows versions of Office less than six months apart.

Nothing in Tammy Hovey's email indicates that the next version of Office:mac is coming anytime soon.

Ms. Hovey seems sincere that Microsoft will provide .docx support for Office 2004 (and possibly Office v.X) between the times that the next versions of Office:win and Office:mac are released. Clearly, the Mac release will come later. My guess is that it will take another year. However, nothing in her comments limit the wait to a year. It could take longer.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    There are more than one logic in those release numbers. Going by Mr.Me's numbers, three years has been the longest period between Office: Mac releases: the next version would by that logic be 2007.

I know that the Office: Mac code is incredibly tangled (was that more than 30000+ lines of code?) and that everything is to be imported into X-code. And then probably some more difficulties, and remembering Microsofts historically bad record of product delays. So there is clearly a danger of a late 2008 release. But Microsoft have had since june 2005 to prepare for the UB shift. Its not like going UB is a sudden surprise to MS.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Thanks for the dates Mr. Me. I couldn't remember the release date for Office 2004. But like Token just did, I have been guessing from the last release date that the new version of Office:Mac would be Office 2007. So when you made such a strong statement about Office 2008 I wanted to know more. Especially as there has been no word from MS about this.

As far as linking these items... These are three separate issues (DOCX, UB and New Version). Yes MS may do all these at once. Or they may do these separately. MS will do what is best for them from a resource management point of view. I choose to keep these separate for now. However it does make sense that, due to the upgrade work involved, MS would combine UB with the next version. I think DOCX support for the Mac will come shortly after MS puts it into Office:Win.

Token, Mr. Me is right. The UB upgrade is a daunting task. Your 30,000 lines of code is well short of the mark. In an MS employee blog entry, linked to from one of these forum sites (sorry I don't remember which one), it was mentioned that MS's first compile generate millions of errors. It was reading this blog entry that I got the impression that at least this particular employee felt that Office could be UB by second quarter 2007.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

As far as linking these items... These are three separate issues (DOCX, UB and New Version). Yes MS may do all these at once. Or they may do these separately. MS will do what is best for them from a resource management point of view. I choose to keep these separate for now. However it does make sense that, due to the upgrade work involved, MS would combine UB with the next version. I think DOCX support for the Mac will come shortly after MS puts it into Office:Win.

Tammy Hovey was clear in her July 1 email, which she repeated Microsoft's January 2006 announcement. That is that Mac BU will release .docx translation filters for Office:mac shortly after Office 2007 is released. Tammy also made it clear that the next version of Office:mac will include .docx support. On these issues, there is nothing to wonder about.

This leaves the issue of whether or not the next version of Office:mac will be UB. This question was answered way back when Steve Jobs announced the Intel transition. In response to the question of porting Office:mac to Intel, Microsoft said that it would not port Office 2004 to Intel. The Intel port would be done as a part of the regular product upgrade and would be included in the next version.

The only question that has not been addressed is the release date. On this issue, the only thing definitive from Microsoft is that it will be after the release date of Office 2007 [for Windows].
  • Reply 16 of 20
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I cast my vote for late 2007, with all file format features of the (then) current Windows version.

I think its important to remember that companies sell new versions of software based on features. A Universal Binary "port" is not considered by developers to be a true feature, but rather a compatability issue needing to be resolved.

Office 2008 will happen to be Universal.

Microsft is not developing a Universal Office that happens to be 2008.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Now that this edifying food-fight has been wrapped up, all we need to do is answer the question, "When will Adobe update CS Everything?"
  • Reply 18 of 20
    So, Now it seems that the MBU has given a more precise schedule for the Mac version of the next office : 6 to 8 months after the release of Office 2007.

If office 2007 for Windows arrives this January, this means we can expect Office 2007: Mac sometime between Juli and August 2007
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Yeah, but without VBA compatability, so forget about seemless integration with Windows if you use VBA macros.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Hey, you guys know so much about the release schedules, that I have to ask : do you have Ouija Board widgets? Or is one of you Steve Jobs in disguise? I like the arguing and bitching at each other, where you're trying to tell each other "you're wrong", when you have no freakin' clue yourselves.