High-res photos of Apple's Nike+iPod Sport Kit

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday began selling its new Nike+iPod wireless Sport Kit that allows Nike+ footwear to talk with an iPod nano, and we've got some photos of the $30 device.

The Nike+iPod Sport Kit packaging is very similar to that of Apple's iPod nano lanyard headphones. In fact, the dimensions of the two retail boxes are identical.

Upon picking up our kits, our attention was almost immediately drawn to the weight of the boxes. They are much heavier than expected, primarily because Apple splurged for semi-glossy color instruction manuals (which include instructions in five languages).

In addition to the manual, each kit includes an Apple warranty pamphlet, software license booklet, an in-shoe sensor and a wireless transmitter. Both the sensor and transmitter are incredibly small. In fact, the devices are so tiny that we're betting it'll only be a matter of time before someone offers up a blog posting explaining how a small dog ate their iPod sensor and ran a 5-minute mile.

We'll have much more on the Nike+iPod kit in the coming weeks. However, if you're looking to pick one up today, you can swing by most Apple, NikeWomen or Niketown retail store locations.

The kit

The shoes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Well, nicely photographed.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Interesting... When the new iPod nano with the rumored aluminum casing debuts in the next couple of months, they are going to have to re-print all the marketing materials and the product packaging... Unless of course, they still plan on keeping a white model.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Very, very nice photos.

Why can't Apple provide photos of their products like these on their own website? Apple's website stuff never looks as good as the products really do "in the flesh".
  • Reply 4 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Interesting... When the new iPod nano with the rumored aluminum casing debuts in the next couple of months, they are going to have to re-print all the marketing materials and the product packaging... Unless of course, they still plan on keeping a white model.

2 + 2 =
  • Reply 5 of 38
    westwest Posts: 34member
    It seems like you're getting a pretty good value for $30. I wouldn't have been surprised if they charged $75-$100 for the kit.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    $30 is pretty expensive, since the battery in the sensor isn't replacable.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

Originally posted by West

It seems like you're getting a pretty good value for $30. I wouldn't have been surprised if they charged $75-$100 for the kit.

Since it only works if you have both a nano and a new pair of Nikes, it's a loss leader for both.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It'll be interesting to see if anyone has a problem with the sensor popping out of it's chamber during high-stress use on a trail...
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Can anyone confirm which Nike shoes are pictured? I thought that there was only one style so far, the Nike Moire which are black with red accents.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Can anyone confirm which Nike shoes are pictured? I thought that there was only one style so far, the Nike Moire which are black with red accents.

The Nike+ Turb OH+ for men in navy/grey/green. We've had em for a week and were just waiting on the sensor.

Check Footlocker.com

Best,

K
  • Reply 11 of 38
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    now the wait is for Apple to help Nike out w/ their shoe styling.....

maaaaaaaaaaan those things are fugly
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

The Nike+ Turb OH+ for men in navy/grey/green. We've had em for a week and were just waiting on the sensor.

Check Footlocker.com

Best,

K

Thanks, Footlocker has 25% off all shoes EXCEPT, you guessed it, Nike+ shoes.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    krankerzkrankerz Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Thanks, Footlocker has 25% of all shoes EXCEPT, you guessed it, Nike+ shoes.

Just go to the Nike or Nike+ website. There are about 6-8 different styles (some even in different colors) for men alone. Not sure how many there are for women.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eAi

Well, nicely photographed.

I especially love the gausian blur on the S/N that doesnt even come close to making it illegible...try a block pixelate then g-blur next time...or even maybe a good ole' black paintbrush...
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Those shoes are hideous.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

Those shoes are hideous.

They are pretty typical looking for running shoes.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Thanks, Footlocker has 25% of all shoes EXCEPT, you guessed it, Nike+ shoes.

I think maybe you mean "25% off", not "of". Good illustration of why reading your post before hitting submit is a good idea. You made krankerz go to all that trouble for nothing.

...unless you really meant "of". In which case I'll just shut up now.

::Update::But in that case your post doesn't make sense. So I think you really meant "off".
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

I think maybe you mean "25% off", not "of". Good illustration of why reading your post before hitting submit is a good idea. You made krankerz go to all that trouble for nothing.

...unless you really meant "of". In which case I'll just shut up now.

::Update::But in that case your post doesn't make sense. So I think you really meant "off".

25% off is what I meant... And I do re-read my posts, I just missed that typo. Anyway, it's fixed now.

• Reply 19 of 38
    Is it possible to switch between miles and kilometers?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    marklarmarklar Posts: 4member
    30 dollars is pretty cheap i think, but imagine how much they paid the sweatshops to make the shoes and the nano attachment...must be a real pittance!!!!! well done apple!, well done nike!