Mac Tower Cases

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So do you think the (Mac) Pro case design will be the same as the current aluminum powermac? It would make sense that it is considering everything else Apple has switched to x86 has kept the same design. But maybe there will be little tweaks? Or maybe the single processor version (Mac) will come anodized in black and white as well to show it is not the pro version.

But it does seem like Apple will be sticking with a natural aluminum color for their pro machines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    karnackarnac Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ApplePi

So do you think the (Mac) Pro case design will be the same as the current aluminum powermac? It would make sense that it is considering everything else Apple has switched to x86 has kept the same design. But maybe there will be little tweaks? Or maybe the single processor version (Mac) will come anodized in black and white as well to show it is not the pro version.

But it does seem like Apple will be sticking with a natural aluminum color for their pro machines.

I know there have been several people complaining about the current tower case design. I like it. Its solid and the handles make it easy to move around and the access panel make it so easy to open up compared to some of the PC Case Nightmares I have had before.

For the new Mac Pro the only thing I'd like is one or two more 5.25" External bays.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I doubt the mac pro will have an more internal bays.

One of the reasons mac's work so well is because they regulate all the key hardware. Granted you can change the superdrive out now, I don't think anyone really does.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    karnackarnac Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

I doubt the mac pro will have an more internal bays.

One of the reasons mac's work so well is because they regulate all the key hardware. Granted you can change the superdrive out now, I don't think anyone really does.

I remember in my old PowerMac 8600 - I installed a Zip drive, and added a Pioneer DVD-R. So its not like they haven't allowed for expandibility/customization before. I think they'll do it for the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think it'll be a minimally restyled G5. Think different vent pattern on the front, maybe different optical drive style, etc. Nothing severe.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i think macosrumors claims it's going to be "sexy" or "sexier" than the G5 case

i also heard it's going to be smaller
  • Reply 6 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

[..] macosrumors [..]

• Reply 7 of 17
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I would like to see a two chasis affair - a number of classes of upper chassis have motherboard, memory, graphics card or integrated grapics, superdrive, and a single hard drive, bluetooth, upgradible wireless card, etc. A number of lower chassis options have varying number of drive bays and PCI slots (up to a maximum of a 10-slot hot swap raid one with 6 pci-x slots or whatever).

Lower chassis attaches by locking rails (that double as feet when the upper chassis is used stand alone). High speed umbilical is built into copper connectors hidden inside the locking rail feet - but if you want to seperate the two chassis there would be a cable adapter that slides into the locking rails and turns it into serial-ATA (or whatever is fastest).

The stand alone chassis would come in varying degrees of power, and would replace both the powermac and the mac mini. This way you could have the exact processing engine matched with whatever expansion requirements you have.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Maybe it's just me, but I think the new Mac Pros should be alittle lighter, don't you think?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

Maybe it's just me, but I think the new Mac Pros should be alittle lighter, don't you think?

Why? Just buy a mini (or a stand-alone top chassis, as per my last post) if you want a smaller computer. Are you moving it around so much that it needs to be light?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I didn't say it needed to be light. I just said it could be a little bit lighter.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

I didn't say it needed to be light. I just said it could be a little bit lighter.

I think it should be heavier - more expansion. It is a "pro" case! But maybe they need a non-pro, non-expandible, smaller half-tower or something for you.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

smart ass, what's wrong with them? elitist... here is what it say:

"Apple has had "sexy" or at least "sexier" come up in a lot of market research on its new enclosure revision so we're very excited to see what the final revision comes out looking like. "
  • Reply 13 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

smart ass, what's wrong with them? elitist... here is what it say:

"Apple has had "sexy" or at least "sexier" come up in a lot of market research on its new enclosure revision so we're very excited to see what the final revision comes out looking like. "

What's wrong with them is that they make up random shit. They don't have sources. Never did, or at least not in the past, what, five years?

They're like crazyapplerumors.com, only unlike CARS, MOSR actually thinks they could be right.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    ProMacs are coming and the only reason Apple went to a gigantic radiator with no style was to cool those pig chips known as G5s. I expect a smaller tower thats holds more drives and perhaps with some style. Aluminum radiators after having a Quicksilver sucked.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    There's only one reason why Apple will definitely change the form factor: time.

OK, pros are slightly less likely to think that a new design on the outside necessarily means a much better design on the inside, but it doesn't hurt Apple to try.

David
  • Reply 16 of 17
    My guess: Similar size, but with more 3.5" drive bays. We probably won't get extra 5.25" bays, but the 3.5" bays are great if they only add 1-2 more (for a total of 3-4). Beyond that, and anyone who can afford to fill them is gonna want an external RAID anyways.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

ProMacs are coming and the only reason Apple went to a gigantic radiator with no style was to cool those pig chips known as G5s. I expect a smaller tower thats holds more drives and perhaps with some style. Aluminum radiators after having a Quicksilver sucked.

Conroe and Woodcrest are just as hot, and there's no reason to believe that Apple won't overclock their chips for an edge over the competition when they already have the cooling perfected.