'universal' applications?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i've done a search on the forums and wanted to know what is the term 'universal' defined with latest software by apple and other vendors? i read in a past post that running mac software (non-universal) on the mactel chip hardware (desktops or notebooks) will not run efficiently, yet the application will run slower? is this correct or did i read some misleading information?! clarification is always appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    After you get the gist of what 'Universal' means, you might be wondering weather a certain application is Universal yet. Here's where you'll find out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    daidaidaidai Posts: 38member
    i had previously posted this question, yet i had a recent discussion with my brother, where he mentioned that adobe photoshop cs2 might run slower by using the current adobe non-universal software on the current mactel chips. i have yet to confirm this, unless someone has had noticed a significant experience?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DAIDAI

i had previously posted this question, yet i had a recent discussion with my brother, where he mentioned that adobe photoshop cs2 might run slower by using the current adobe non-universal software on the current mactel chips. i have yet to confirm this, unless someone has had noticed a significant experience?

I can't confirm this, but from listening to the InsideMac podcast it sounds like photoshop cs2 is ok for the occasional use. They also say that if you earn your living from photoshop, or if you are in front of it all day, you might want to stay away from cs2 on the Intel Mac. Of course that may all change with the screaming fast MacPro.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Nah, it won't.