Next wireless network: when do you think it will appear on macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you think the next generation wireless will start to appear on Macs?

Which protocol(s) do you think will be named?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

When do you think the next generation wireless will start to appear on Macs?

Which protocol(s) do you think will be named?

AirPort Ultra. It will be supported on the Mac Pros.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 20
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    When Intel releases their new chipsets with Core 2 Duo?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What's the wireless protocol we're calling next gen right now?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    802.11n, which hasn't been standardized, and which still has two competing, incompatible techniques rooting for it.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    They're down to one unified draft for 802.11n. Maybe the Merom 'Books will get it or maybe Apple will wait until 2007.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

They're down to one unified draft for 802.11n. Maybe the Merom 'Books will get it or maybe Apple will wait until 2007.

They have to wait until 2007, that's when they come out.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm not really up to speed anymore on what is or isn't coming down the road for wireless. G is good enough for any home network needs. I'm more interested in metro area networks and technologies like WiMax, if/when we see it.

Apple really needs to start offering a little future proofing in their I/O. None of the iMac/mini/macbook have any provision for adding a new I/O spec when required. EVERY model sold by EVERY other manufacturer manages to incorporate either a PCI card slot (desktops) and at least one of either a Cardbus or expresscard slot (for laptops).

Apple should be putting an expresscard slot on every laptop, not just Pro models, and every consumer desktop given that they do not have any other I/O expansion options.

FW400 and USB2 will be with us for a long time, but wireless 802 and BT are undergoing constant revision, and with drive storage capacities and speeds continuing to grow rapidly, the ability to accomodate future (faster) I/O is a question of when, not if. Consumer HD, multi megapixel, digital cameras, and terrabyte plus HDs (coming soon, perpendicular drives have already hit 750GB) guarantee that even USB2 and FW400 will be a bottleneck within 2 years.

It just makes sense to give customers an option that doesn't require buying a whole new computer -- it makes sense both for the consumer and for Apple, BTW, lest anyone should trod out the familiar, "but that doesn't help Apple sell more machines" argument. Want is a more powerful inducement than need. If you frustrate users into needing a new machine you generally do less well than if you fully satisfy their needs with current product, and make them want to buy the new stuff because the last was so good. Buyers of new Toyota's seldom NEED to replace their cars after 3-6 years, but they get a lot of return business in that time frame -- reason most often given, quality and reliability. Hence, they could keep driving it, they just WANT a new one 'cause the current one is so good. The consumer is a strange animal.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Apple really needs to start offering a little future proofing in their I/O. None of the iMac/mini/macbook have any provision for adding a new I/O spec when required. EVERY model sold by EVERY other manufacturer manages to incorporate either a PCI card slot (desktops) and at least one of either a Cardbus or expresscard slot (for laptops).

Isn't the current Airport slot based on the Cardbus?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Isn't the current Airport slot based on the Cardbus?

No, that was for the original non-Express 802.11b AirPort.

AirPort Express actually comes in many forms, depending on the machine, including a MiniPCI card, a chip, a chip that also includes Bluetooth functionality, a daughter card, etc. It's more of a brand than an actual specific product now. The actual implementation differs, too. Some are from Broadcom, some from other manufacturers.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

They have to wait until 2007, that's when they come out.

Merom comes out in August, but you think the MacBook Pro won't be updated until 2007?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Merom comes out in August, but you think the MacBook Pro won't be updated until 2007?

The updated chipsets come out in 2007, they'll be an update to Merom (as well as the other processors). If you read any of the tech news sites you should already know this. Merom may be coming out in August, but the new chipsets for the processors, as well as new versions (high clockrates, I assume) of the processors come out in early 2007. I didn't say that the MBP wouldn't be updated, I said that its *chipsets* wouldn't. I have no doubt that it will be updated at around August - October, and then probably in Jan. as well. But we're talking about a new wireless specification here, not a processor or any other type of upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Intel's 802.11n support is part of the next geneartion Centrino platform, code name Santa Rosa, to be introduced in early to mid 2007. It will also include upgraded Merom (800MHz FSB), better integrated graphics, and Intel Robson cache technology for faster booting and application startup.

I assume that's what Apple will use.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Apple doesn't necessarily have to wait for Santa Rosa; they could include Broadcom draft 802.11n in the next MacBook (Pro) update, which could be as early as August.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Apple doesn't necessarily have to wait for Santa Rosa; they could include Broadcom draft 802.11n in the next MacBook (Pro) update, which could be as early as August.

Do you really think Apple would use a *draft* product? As in, it will probably be useless by the time the final specification comes out. Don't hold your breath. It'll come with Santa Rosa and not before.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Do you really think Apple would use a *draft* product?

Yes, I do. And so should you. (Hint: look up AirPort Extreme. It was released before the 802.11g finalization; a firmware update was provided later on to bring it in sync with the spec.)
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yes, I do. And so should you. (Hint: look up AirPort Extreme. It was released before the 802.11g finalization; a firmware update was provided later on to bring it in sync with the spec.)

You're assuming that the same can be done this time and that isn't necessarily true. Again, I feel I must reiterate, don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

You're assuming that the same can be done this time

No, I'm not.

Quote:

and that isn't necessarily true.

I already stated so.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

No, I'm not.

I already stated so.

Yes, you are, and no, you didn't. Care to point me to where in this topic you said that it wasn't necessarily true for 802.11n? From what I've seen, you didn't, and even if you did, in that case you basically responded to my previous post just so you could argue. I swear sometimes it seems like people on this site have nothing better to do than argue with each other ~_~.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

[..] you basically responded to my previous post just so you could argue.

You asserted that Apple is unlikely to use a draft product. I gave a concrete, correct and very, very much related example to the contrary.

Quote:

I swear sometimes it seems like people on this site have nothing better to do than argue with each other ~_~.

So why do you?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Why do I what? Argue? Because you can't post anything here without *someone* trying to argue with you, no matter what it's about. When I first posted in this topic, I wasn't trying to argue, it's other people, like yourself, that turned it into an argument, not me.